MoFi Abraxas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoFi Abraxas

Now I had a sneak peak of this at last year's NY Show in Wes Bender's room. I thought it was fantastic then and committed to buying a copy then and there. Well after a year's wait I received my 2 disc set yesterday.

Was worth the wait. All the clarity and impact I heard on Wes' system was right there in mine too. I am not really into comparing multiple pressings, I'll leave that to plenty of others who do. All I can say is that if MoFi extends this process to more albums/music I want, my bank account is going to be a lot lighter. If you enjoy Santana, or even if you've never heard of them before, go out and lget this box. It's pricy but well worth it.

Beau
    Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
    2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
    Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
    2. Schick 12"
    3. Abis SA-1
    Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
    PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
    CD: Wadia 860x
    Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
    DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
    Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
    Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
    Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

I should get my copy today or tomorrow. Thanks for the quick review !
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

I just checked with Elusive Disc and Sam confirmed that I am on the list and it might be the 15th or so before ours (Elusive Disc customers) are shipped. These LPs are sold out.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        Elusive may have sold out of their allocation but AS is still taking orders, I placed mine today

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told by the MoFi people the first run had been sold out when I was at RMAF.

I ordered mine the first day I could which was a few months ago, and I have #120. Think they are limited to 2500 and I saw on Amazon, there's one left so they are most likely in very short supply and I guess they will be showing up on eBay and Discogs shortly if they haven't already.
      Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
      2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
      Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
      2. Schick 12"
      3. Abis SA-1
      Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
      PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
      CD: Wadia 860x
      Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
      DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
      Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
      Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
      Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Got mine yesterday! Looking forward to listening to it this weekend. Music Direct told me that the plan is to try to release two of these pressings a year; no idea what's next.
        TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels; Sonore Optical Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

I read that some are finding it to be TOO HOT.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I have my copy, will be cuing it up tonight for the first time. I will report back.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

I have a copy as well but haven't gotten around to listening yet. Looking forward to others' reports.
              Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

I received my copy yesterday (#190). Very nice packaging. But I am a bit underwhelmed with the sound quality. A little too hi-fi sounding for me. The original tapes too old? Too much what ever?

I prefer older pressings, not as refined as this MoFi pressing, but more enjoyable.
                Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
                Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
                Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
                Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
                R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
                Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
                Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
                Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
                Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
                  I received my copy yesterday (#190). Very nice packaging. But I am a bit underwhelmed with the sound quality. A little too hi-fi sounding for me. The original tapes too old? Too much what ever?

I prefer older pressings, not as refined as this MoFi pressing, but more enjoyable.
                  This is why I didn't pre order. I question the selection of the title as a state of the art recording for its time.
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

This is why I didn't pre order. I question the selection of the title as a state of the art recording.
                    Are we confusing a state of the art pressing of the recording via MoFi's new process with a state of the art recording?
                    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to do a serious shootout between the 1step mofi and the regular mofi, the original Columbia, and the cbs mastersound half speed.
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

Are we confusing a state of the art pressing of the recording via MoFi's new process with a state of the art recording?
                        What I meant was they should have chosen a better recording to unveil the new process.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                          I'm waiting for someone to do a serious shootout between the 1step mofi and the regular mofi, the original Columbia, and the cbs mastersound half speed.
                          Some of the early Santana records, Caravaserai and Santana III in particular, I remember sounding very good on the standard issue Columbia "KC" pressings. I don't remember the SQ of Abraxas- have some copies here, but haven't listened to it in years. Those CBS Mastersounds were pretty wanky in my experience- maybe some were ok, but the ones I heard really sounded screwed up. I remember reading that they failed to account for the EQ at 1/2 speed- and had scooped MoFi's proposed release wish list to try and compete with them. Dunno if that is an urban legend. Was the "original" MoFi of Abraxas early era MoFi or one of those Anadisc era ones? I have quite a few of the early era ones, and very few stand up today against original pressings or better remasters- they were often bass heavy. I pulled out Abandoned Luncheonette a month or so ago- old MoFi. Terrible. Sounded very 'boxed in.' Bought a standard issue pressing. Sounded way better.
                          As to choosing this record for a $100 release, dunno. I know I wouldn't have picked that one, but I'd have to think about what I would pick. So many great records that deserve a decent reissue. The problem is, my choices probably wouldn't sell many copies.

Comment

mine will be here Friday. I have a MoFi of it already, but not sure the era. will look tonight.
                            https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Working...
                            X