New Speakers Corner Reissues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speakers Corner Reissues

I don't know about other members but in my experience the quality of the SC reissues are all over the place. And despite emails, I never can get them to respond to my inquiries.

Here though are some SC reissues to keep an eye out for! According to Mikey, Kevin Gray is about to remaster all these titles for SC!

At his Masters of Vinyl seminar at LAAS 2017 mastering engineer Kevin Gray mentioned that he'd cut a series of records for Speakers Corner using original master tapes. This was news to me so I contacted Speakers Corner's Kai Seeman who sent along a PDF with many of the titles though more are coming. As you can see the titles from the WEA and Sony/BMG catalog include Charles Lloyd's Forest Flower, Charles Mingus's The Clown, Ray Charles The Genius After Hours and Sonny Stitt Plays Bird among others. Here are more:
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

doesn't this kinda raise the question as to whether Kevin is getting the best, lowest generation copy of the tape, especially if the vault resides on opposite coasts never mind opposite continent?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      doesn't this kinda raise the question as to whether Kevin is getting the best, lowest generation copy of the tape, especially if the vault resides on opposite coasts never mind opposite continent?
      That is a good question. ORG released Columbia and Atlantic recordings too done by Bernie.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

FWIW, years ago I remember reading an interview or article about Mercury Living Presence and DECCA reissues and the information was that SC used stereo mixes not original master tapes.
        Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Not surprising. Sadly, the reissues weren't up to the originals either. There was a loss of information that might quite have well been due to a different tape generation being used.

• astrotoy
          astrotoy commented
          Editing a comment
          My friend John Dunkerley told me he wasn't impressed by a couple of Decca reissues that he heard. John was a recording engineer for Decca (classical) for 30 years, starting in 1968. I interviewed him extensively for my Decca book. Larry

Herbie Hancock "Crossings" is a must own. Love the Mwandishi band. My favorite period from Mr. Hancock.
        PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
        www.lasercd.com
        www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

I have the Aretha Franklin live at the Filmore West. I need to break the plastic and give it a spin.

I'm just happy that Speakers Corner is committed and established. We should get many great reissues to look forward to spinning.

Comment

With the exception of "The Byrds - Greatest Hits" (an absolute dog), I've nothing but high praise for their output. I can say the same about other reissue labels as well, so I don't think this is unique to SC alone. I personally have no interest in the titles Kevin is doing for them, but if I were I'd buy with confidence.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Mikey's review of the new Kevin Gray remastered titles for Speakers Corner. Expect the two titles I order to arrive end of this week.

Charles Lloyd's young group, together but a year, played this set September 8th 1966 at the Monterey Jazz Festival, opening with the title tune—actually the two-in-one "Forest Flower-Sunrise" and "Forest Flower-Sunset", both lilting, hypnotic and mesmerizing "hippie-like" tunes that presaged in its mood the next year's "Summer of Love" Monterey Pop Festival.

Comment

Working...
              X