No announcement yet.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly: Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc 1-Step, UD1S 2-003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol I own it n did not know. It's a SACD rip. Knowing now what dsd is I wonder what's left at at dsd 64 over hi Rez rates now used. A shame really
    I know can tell dsd 64 for the higher ones as I'll bet you cN too Brian. Does it make you wonder what we have been cheated at yet Agin.
    Myles a while back turned me onto Elvis stereo 57 on tape amazing t hear on his sytem. I then bough all,the manic I heard from a few places. One being Chad of analog productions and acoustic sounds. Point is I am to,d it was a 1/4 safety tape not even the full 1/2 . At dsd 64 a truly great sound. I wonder what was left at dsd 64. Proof is the dsd of Louis I just bought at three dsd rates all great but the 128 and 256 are better.

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      I am confused here. Are you saying this one step lp is a digital transfer from an SACD level of resolution 24 /96 or you simply own a SACD of Night fly and did not know it and you were wondering what the higher it levels of DSD transfer rates would offer to the sonics.

I own the sacd that is ripped. But someone here says the original is made from a digtal master

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightfly

Comment

Right - it is a digital recording:

”The Nightfly is one of the earliest examples of fully digital recording in popular music. Katz and Fagen had previously experimented with digital recording for Gaucho, which ended up entirely analog.”

What’s never been clear to me, though, is given that it was recorded on a very early 3M digital tape machine, was it even possible back then to keep it entirely in the digital domain all the way through to CD production? I actually don’t think so. I know it wasn’t the case for several other early digital recordings - many of which were recorded digitally but them mixed in analog, and then either mastered in analog for LP/cassette or digital for CD (so “DAA” or “DAD”, respectively). If that’s the case for The Nightly, then perhaps what MoFi got for this LP is the 2-track analog master that would be post-mix. That would make it a little more sensible at least for its release this way. But I’m not sure. Anyone know?

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• theaudioanalyst
          theaudioanalyst commented
          Editing a comment
          Skylab, that was precisely my point with my 12.2 posting in this thread - DAA SPARS Codes were the standard through out the dawn of the digital recording era.

• Skylab
          Skylab commented
          Editing a comment
          Right, but what MoFi says about the release isn’t very illuminating: “Mastered from the Original Master Tapes with Mobile Fidelity's One-Step Process” - from their website. WHAT master tapes? The original digital multitrack master? Can’t really master an LP directly from that...so was it a 2-track analog master that was made back in the day? Or was the album remixed to analog for this LP release??? More info would be nice.

Back then the cd has a label. DDD being pure digital but that too is a lie. I own a cd that has hiss. I was told it’s from an analog mixing station. What was done to our music back then and nkw os horrible

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          I have plenty of DDD recordings (RBCD) with hiss...it could be the mic preamps, mixers and any one of a number of components in the recording chain adding its own signature not necessarily analog tape.

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
        Lol I own it n did not know. It's a SACD rip. Knowing now what dsd is I wonder what's left at at dsd 64 over hi Rez rates now used. A shame really
        I know can tell dsd 64 for the higher ones as I'll bet you cN too Brian. Does it make you wonder what we have been cheated at yet Agin.
        Myles a while back turned me onto Elvis stereo 57 on tape amazing t hear on his sytem. I then bough all,the manic I heard from a few places. One being Chad of analog productions and acoustic sounds. Point is I am to,d it was a 1/4 safety tape not even the full 1/2 . At dsd 64 a truly great sound. I wonder what was left at dsd 64. Proof is the dsd of Louis I just bought at three dsd rates all great but the 128 and 256 are better.
        Yes, two very different releases.

The Louis Armstrong is an Analog Tape to DSD 256 transfer from 2xHD using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 Converter.
        The Nightfly by Donald Fagen was a digital recording transferred to DSD for the SACD release by Warner Music Japan.

Comment

IIRC, the DVD-A release was mixed and mastered from the digital multi-track on analog equipment (no tape, though), then re-digitized at 24/48; probably the same for SACD, although I am not at all familiar with an SACD release for this title.

Comment

I wonder what the sources were for many of the sacd I own. yes more then no they sound better than the cd I owned.

Comment

My two copies arrived this afternoon. SN 0447 and SN 1953. I will be listening to these very soon but unfortunately not today.
              Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
              https://www.edsstuff.org
              TT: VPI Prime, HRX Pulley, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Quintet Black S, Tru-Lift, AQ Leopard, Liberty Audio B2B-1
              Line Stage: *Audible Illusions L1
              Pwr Amp: Parasound A21
              Speakers: Magnepan MMC2
              Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, NAD 446, Schiit Modi Multibit
              Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, HiFiMan HE-400S, Schiit Lyr2
              Cables: Kimber Hero w/WBT, Kimber 8TC

*Modified/Customized Component

Comment

Working...
              X