This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northstar Records

Anybody remember this label founded by John Marks?

Went shopping for LPs on my shelves tonight and lo and behold came across the Arturo Delmoni (violin) and Meg Bachman (piano) recording of Sonatas of Franck and Faure.

Haven't heard this album in a decade or two and didn't remember being overly impressed. Guess I remembered wrong for this David Hancock recording (Rach. Symph Dances) recorded at 30 ips on a Studer A80 using a pair of Cambridge ribbon mikes and mastered by Doug Sax is superb. What playing and dynamics and tone. One of the better recorded pianos you will ever hear. It puts to shame even 15 ips tapes that I've heard.

Don't expect to find this one for a song. It is going for $100-300 online.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180312_222543.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	82249
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Songs My Mother Taught Me is perhaps Northstar's best known release. Another Hancock recording also done at Trinity Church in NYC. Turns out I have 2 versions of this release.

This is the original cut by Greg Calbi.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180312_223301.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	82251

This is the reissue done by Bob Ludwig on an all Cello system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180312_223234.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	82252
    No, haven't compared the two yet.

I only could find one copy of the original release on Discogs and the seller was asking a hefty $750.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Last LP found was this Nathaniel Rosen cello recording.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180312_223329.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	82254

Comment

There were also a few CDs (mine are in storage) including a MOFI CD reissue of Songs My Mother Taught Me.

I seem to remember the Delmoni/Amy Beach recording caming out on vinyl but I don't have it nor is it listed on Discogs. Perhaps my memory is letting me down.

Comment

I think Discogs has some editing to do. Seems there is a couple of North Star Records / Northstar Records miss filed. His other label John Marks Records on Discogs has more Delmoni titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Spla'nin View Post
            I think Discogs has some editing to do. Seems there is a couple of North Star Records / Northstar Records miss filed. His other label John Marks Records on Discogs has more Delmoni titles.
            Thanks! Only a trio of LP releases. Looks like Reverie is CD only. Wonder how many, though CD only, were originally analog recordings.

I sent a note to John to gauge his interest in maybe releasing a recording or two on 15 ips tape. We’ll see.....

Comment

I too have both, and like you haven't played either for years, but I intend to listen this evening. "Songs..." I have both the LP and MOFI cd, and in checking the " Franck " LP I found that mine is 865 of 2000. It's hard to believe the prices they are commanding on Discogs.
              Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Jmwick View Post
                I too have both, and like you haven't played either for years, but I intend to listen this evening. "Songs..." I have both the LP and MOFI cd, and in checking the " Franck " LP I found that mine is 865 of 2000. It's hard to believe the prices they are commanding on Discogs.
                Crazy right? $750?

Comment

Sounds like Investment Vinyl.
                  [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Working...
                  X