Dvorak: Violincello Concerto; Bruch: Kol Nidrei SR 90303

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvorak: Violincello Concerto; Bruch: Kol Nidrei SR 90303

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190702_220603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	118822

Just arrived in the mail! (See https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...pictures/page2 post #16, for a sneak preview from last Fall's New York Audio Show!)

This new 45 rpm remastered reissue by Tom Fine and Ryan Smith might just be the first analog reissue that is hands down better than the original (and my original is a minty RFR P17 US cleaned before playing). No ifs, ands or buts. No excuses needed.

That comes with a caveat that maybe makes comparison of the original vs reissue moot though. SR90303 was recorded at Watford Town Hall in London on two tape decks (how we forget that many labels back then had a primary and backup deck). One was Mercury's vaunted 35 mm film recorder while the backup was a 1/2-inch machine (I assume an Ampex 300 or similar machine). Well over the years, the 35 mm master tape deteriorated to the point where it's now sadly unusable. As a result, Tom Fine and Ryan Smith turned to the original backup 1/2-inch master tape for this release. No detail was too small and Tom and Ryan had to cut several lacquers until they achieved the desired quietness. Mastering was done exactly as his parents did back then. Only Tom held the score and told Ryan when to adjust the pitch of the of record. Plus being done at 45 rpm allows for plenty of space between the lead out groove and label. In other words, the LP is in the sweet spot of the tonearm/cartridge geometry.

Now the reissue does still have two of those Mercury characteristics: wild dynamics and the strings can when pushed be a little edgy. But other than this, Dorati and the LSO have never sounded better. While the Dvorak captures everyone's attention, it's perhaps the performance of Bruch's Kol Nidrei that is the hidden gem on this recording. The low end, extension and the sound of Starker's cello is off the charts. Starker's cello is revealed like never before on this reissue; the detail, tone and solidity of his cello is stunning. The album is as quiet as a UHQR and super transparent. And in the area of tonality and information where most reissues fall short next to the original release the 45 rpm Analogue Productions release excels. Not only excels but possesses even more tonal information and detail than on the original release (Is the difference between the original and reissue the attention paid to the remastering, the difference between the 35 mm and 1/2-inch tape or 33 vs. 45 rpm? We'll probably never know the answer to that question.).

One other item of interest too. Starker's cello on this and other Mercury releases always exhibited a bit of annoying image wander when we played it back in the '80s and '90s. This was written off at the time to Starker moving around while playing his cello. Well guess what? He's solidly parked in place on the stage of Watford Hall on this new Analogue Production reissue. While Starker the soloist garners the attention, it is done judiciously on the recording.

Tom, Ryan and Chad put a lot of time, effort and money into this project and it shows. Couple that with Tom wanting this release to be a fitting tribute to the memory of his parent's work and this LP a uncontested winner! Highly recommended.!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

45 rpm lp?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      2nd paragraph: "This new 45 rpm remastered reissue by Tom Fine and Ryan Smith might just be the first analog reissue that is hands down better than the original (and my original is a minty RFR P17 US cleaned before playing). No ifs, ands or buts. No excuses needed."

Thanks, Myles. Interesting that the cover still has the 35mm sash on it. Is JC asking about 45RPM LP's? Many, many reissues have been done that way. Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      JC both your questions were covered in my post.

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      Myles, your first post initially was just the photo with no text.

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      No such thing as a 45 rpm Lp. Lp is the 12" 33 rpm "Longplay" format.

I love that record-- because of the Kol Nidrei. I have an old Mercury mono copy that still has the Princeton sticker on the jacket, back when nobody cared about mono.
    Starker was amazing. I was told by someone who knew a little that he rarely used vibrato to cover up his mistakes. My friend in Nashville who is a session guy there has a son who majored in cello and studied at Indiana where Starker was the maestro emeritus. Kid can play.
    The other Starker I really like is the early Period Records Kodaly for Unaccompanied Cello.

Comment

Have a Speakers Corner reissue which is very good but I guess will have to buy this one too. Thanks Myles.
      Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• kensell21
        kensell21 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes same here with the Speakers Corner. I’ll have to look at this as well.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder given the condition of the 35 mm tape what source SC used for their reissue.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        While the SC were better than nothing, I was never enamored with the sound of their Merc reissues. I was turned off from that first box set on.

Thanks, ordered it
      Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC & Yggy2 Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

Not referring to this one, but there is a problem with reissues in that every new one supposedly eclipses all previous reissues thus making it a "must have" and all those previous reissues plummet in value, BUT two years later another new reissue comes out and the cycle starts all over again. All the while, the original if it sounds good, just steadily holds its value as there can only be one original label pressing
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          Not referring to this one, but there is a problem with reissues in that every new one supposedly eclipses all previous reissues thus making it a "must have" and all those previous reissues plummet in value, BUT two years later another new reissue comes out and the cycle starts all over again. All the while, the original if it sounds good, just steadily holds its value as there can only be one original label pressing
          I don't know about you but if the album sounds good and I'm happy with it, I could care less about its ($$) value after another release is issued. Its value will be what is will be. I acquired it to, primarily, be played and enjoyed.

Dre
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

I don't know about you but if the album sounds good and I'm happy with it, I could care less about its ($$) value after another release is issued. Its value will be what is will be. I acquired it to, primarily, be played and enjoyed.

Dre
            I often end up with multiple copies of the same title. Sometimes I do a shoot out and sell the inferior copy. Resale value matters to me because I actually sell off some of my lps.

Comment

One way to address the multiple reissues problem is just to wait. After several years, the cycle should be complete and then you can pick up the last (or best) reissue after hearing from others about the quality of the different reissues vs. the original. Of course, the reissues and/or originals may have sold out and may demand a premium price in the resale market. Just trading one problem with another. The worst offender was Classic Records with multiple reissues, including different weight vinyl, different vinyl formuations, different speeds, and combinations of these variables. Don't think that they planned it that way.

Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
              Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                One way to address the multiple reissues problem is just to wait. After several years, the cycle should be complete and then you can pick up the last (or best) reissue after hearing from others about the quality of the different reissues vs. the original. Of course, the reissues and/or originals may have sold out and may demand a premium price in the resale market. Just trading one problem with another. The worst offender was Classic Records with multiple reissues, including different weight vinyl, different vinyl formuations, different speeds, and combinations of these variables. Don't think that they planned it that way.

Larry
                I bought quite a few of the classic 33 180g black vinyl RCA LSC classical titles before I found out they all suck, oh well....

Comment

I often end up with multiple copies of the same title. Sometimes I do a shoot out and sell the inferior copy. Resale value matters to me because I actually sell off some of my lps.
                  This is all off topic so please start a different thread if you want to continue the discussion.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• JCOConnell
                    JCOConnell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    youre right Myles, I apologize, certainly didn't mean to hijack the thread.

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    NP.

45 rpm lp?
                  It is a stretch to deem any 45 RPM 12 inch record as long playing.

Comment

So I got my copy, and it sounds "old" with edgy highs, bright, closed-in sort of sound. Either it is like that, or my system is very broken. But much clearer than the Speakers Corner re-issue that I have sort of enjoyed.
                    Last edited by ack; 07-12-2019, 07:09 PM.
                    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC & Yggy2 Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

Originally posted by ack View Post
                      So I got my copy, and it sounds "old" with edgy highs, bright, closed-in sort of sound. Either it is like that, or my system is very broken. But much clearer than the Speakers Corner re-issue that I have sort of enjoyed.
                      Sorry to hear that you were disappointed.
                      Yes, the "Mercury string sound" is still there but less. Sadly, that's the Achilles heel of Robert Fine's recordings. (As is the lack of lowest bass on the RCA Living Stereo releases.) But can't say find it closed-in.

Try bringing the LP to Ian's for the hell of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X