ID:	132520

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I finally got my copy and am so glad to get rid of that POS Speakers Corner reissue. I’ve had 5 versions of this that I would rank thusly:
    1. Original Mercury Mono box set
    2. Original single Mercury stereo LP of Suites 2 & 5
    3. Original Stereo Mercury box set
    4. Philips Golden Imports box set
    5. Speakers Corner box set

The new AP 45 rpm reissue surpasses them all. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by bassrome View Post
      I finally got my copy and am so glad to get rid of that POS Speakers Corner reissue. I’ve had 5 versions of this that I would rank thusly:

Wow, looks like you have all the vinyl versions. I do have the set in 15ips 2 track. Will be comparing to the new 45rpm version. Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by bassrome View Post

In which ways do you feel the AP 45 surpasses the SC?
        Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, darTZeel 18NS, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1,CH Precision P1, Schiit Yggdrasil, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

• bassrome
          bassrome commented
          Editing a comment
          When I first heard the SC pressing I was shocked at how much they accentuated the mid bass. It made the cello sound like a double bass. On some cuts you can hear a low, almost sub-sonic, rumble. The AP sounds much more natural, and has mode dynamic and timbral nuance. It sucks having to get up halfway through the suite to flip the disk but the sound makes it worth it.

• Madfloyd
          Madfloyd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your thoughts. I will compare my copies again with those thoughts in mind.

I did a comparison with the SC yesterday and agree with bassrome but is seems to me this prominence in the midbass (especially on Suite No. 1 Prealudium) is less evident on other suites. There is more air and better feeling of the concert hall on AS. Somehow you can hear the extra effort AS has made for this reissue. The SC reissue is louder but sounds a bit dull in comparison to AS. Years ago I read somewhere SC Mercury reissues were made from second generation tapes or safety masters, don’t remember exactly. Judging from this comparison I would say this could be true. AS pressing is very good but at this price we are entitled to this level of excellence. SC pressing is just as good and LP’s are equally flat.

I have listened to the cello in a concert hall a few times and still can’t forget how powerful (especially in the midbass!!) this instrument can sound...
        Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Interestingly, Janos Starker was between 39 and 41 when he did this recording. We heard the great Alisa Weilerstein play the entire six cello suites last year in one marathon concert in Berkeley. We were in our customary 2nd row seats in the First Congregational Church near the campus. She was close to the same age (37) as Starker was when he did the recording. It was an amazingly emotional experience.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
          X