The New UHQRs: Jimi Hendrix: Bold As Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New UHQRs: Jimi Hendrix: Bold As Love

Picked a copy up at Axpona. Quietest and flattest record I've handled. Chad really crossed the "Ts" and dotted the "Is" here! Incredibly well done with a multi-page insert about the music of the times and Hendrix along with a technical insert desribing the mastering and manufacturing process.

Best of all great sound!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190415_194937.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	112813Click image for larger version  Name:	20190415_195112.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	112814
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

And there was this surprise inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190415_195439.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	112816

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      whatever tape is used one has to compare it with the Steve Wilson re-master (digified) which is the best to my ears.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume the original since it is the only all analog version. But good question.

• Skylab
      Skylab commented
      Editing a comment
      This will be the first one of these I will actually buy. LOVE this album. I agree the Steven Wilson remix is outstanding, but when Chad said at Axpona that this was coming I was pretty psyched.

I hope my box has a low number.

Comment

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      You appreciate that, as far as I know, the number only reflects the box, not the record(s) inside of it, yah?

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      ive heard from the horses mouth the box number does not always corroborate with the order in which the vinyl comes off the press but its big deal to collectors/resalers

Chad said they were being mailed on Monday. I have to admit that I was annoyed seeing all those boxes sitting there while I am still waiting for mine. I ordered this in 2017!
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      mep- that's a good one. I'm learning new turns of phrase all the time. Yesterday, I asked my Tex-pert whether it is proper to say, when someone in planning on repairing something, to state: "I'm fixin' to fix it."

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know what happened to my comment Bill.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s there Mark. Just hit the little icon/arrow in the upper corner of the comment part. The board only shows the latest four or so comments. To see all, have to expand.

Are they finally being released or am I dreaming this. 😴 and will suddenly wake up? Can’t wait.
    SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
    Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
    Amp, Luxman 507u
    Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

Originally posted by kensell21 View Post
      Are they finally being released or am I dreaming this. 😴 and will suddenly wake up? Can’t wait.
      People are getting shipping notices. Saw on FB Joe Pittman got his for the mono and stereo releases.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

People are getting shipping notices. Saw on FB Joe Pittman got his for the mono and stereo releases.
        I haven't
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• kensell21
          kensell21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ordered and paid for a long time ago. Hopefully hear about shipping soon.

Just listened to my stereo copy (mono is staying sealed). VERY, very nice! Unbelievably quiet background, which of course adds to the dynamics. Very clear, clean sounding and Jimmi's voice is quite present and immediate sounding. The drums are incredibly impactful and tight. With my Century cartridge, it's about as close to tape as one could wish for. I have heard early copies of the album and based on my recollection, I think this crushes them

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for your initial impressions, my copy is supposedly on its way...

I have still not received my copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cohnaudio View Post
          Just listened to my stereo copy (mono is staying sealed). VERY, very nice! Unbelievably quiet background, which of course adds to the dynamics. Very clear, clean sounding and Jimmi's voice is quite present and immediate sounding. The drums are incredibly impactful and tight. With my Century cartridge, it's about as close to tape as one could wish for. I have heard early copies of the album and based on my recollection, I think this crushes them
          When did you order your stereo copy?

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post

When did you order your stereo copy?
            I ordered my stereo copy on Dec 1 2017. Since my credit card was charged today, I'm guessing mine will ship this week.

Comment

Yeah, I think I ordered it on December 2017, when they first announced it

Comment

Originally posted by Cohnaudio View Post
                Yeah, I think I ordered it on December 2017, when they first announced it
                Interesting....

I ordered a stereo copy in December 2017 and still haven't seen it..

Interestingly, I just checked my ordering history on their site and discovered that I ordered it twice (inadvertently). I guess that can happen when it's so long between pre-order and delivery.
                Speakers: Rockport Avior
                Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
                Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
                Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
                Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

• Cohnaudio
                  Cohnaudio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately, have done that too many times

Rob posted: ive heard from the horses mouth the box number does not always corroborate with the order in which the vinyl comes off the press but its big deal to collectors/resalers
                Gary posted this on Facebook that is relevant to your comment.

Do the Serial numbers on a "Limited Edition" album have any bearing on the actual sequence of albums that are pressed? It all depends.

When we produced the Direct-to-Disc album Four Seasons in Jazz Live at Bernie's - they were numbered 1 to 3000. Did those numbers have any bearing on the actual sequence of pressing? Absolutely. We paid extra to the pressing plant for sequencing and hand numbering. So, when you buy one of these pink albums, you can be assured that the low numbers came off the press, and off an earlier stamper.

Here is where the complication comes in - we made 6 stampers out of the one lacquer (that is the nature of D2D, only one lacquer is made). Each stamper can press "up to 1,000" albums. But, quality begins to deteriorate depending on many factors way before 1,000 presses.

So, when we ordered the pressing, we told the pressing plant that we will pay for a minimum of 3,000 but to stop using the stamper the moment they think that the quality has deteriorated. Even if it means that we get less than 3,000 copies. Each stamper producing 500 copies is a "safe number" and with 6 stampers, 3,000 albums should be easy.

At the end, we got a few more than 3,000 copies but, each stamper did not produce exactly 500 copies. Some more, some less. So, if you have serial number 1,025 - was it the first copy from stamper #3? or the last copy of stamper #2? Since we did not keep track of the actual serial nos vs stamper number, no one will ever know.

Also, would #1 from stamper #2 sound better than #500 from stamper #1? I did take some random numbers to test-listen, and may be my system isn't high-resolution enough but I couldn't tell the difference between my single-digit serial number and one of the un-numbered extras that came out at the end.

However, I can tell the difference between the 4 different vinyl formulations that we made test pressings out of! If you've read this far.... click on each individual picture on the post below. I tell the whole story of making the album.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                X