Latest UD1S Titles as of 7/3/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest UD1S Titles as of 7/3/19

I just got off the phone with MusicDirect and here are the three UD1S titles I did not have on order (so I guess they are new):

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
    Electric Light Orchestra - El Dorado
    Blood Sweat and Tears - Blood Sweat & Tears

Music Direct: 800-449-8333

Ed

PS I also checked with Acoustic Sounds and they are not taking orders for the next UHQR (Aqualung).
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
    https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime TT w/Walnut Plinth, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS Speed Ctrl, 3D Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift
    Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices Sky 30 Stepup Transformer + Liberty Audio B2B-1 Phono Preamp, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 High-res USB Interface, Pioneer DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C446 Internet Radio/Streamer
    Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, Magnepan DW-M Planar Woofer, REL T9/i Subwoofer
    Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro + SRM 1 MK II, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2
    Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono ICs, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs

Great album, El Dorado. But $125 great? Not sure. I have a fabulous tape of the BS&T or that would be very tempting.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Interesting. But do we really need another BS&T reissue??? ORG did one. Chad did four at either 33 or 45 rpm. Come on, there’s a lot of other music out there crying for reissuing!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        my guess is the license is cheap, that and it will sell to the 65+ crowd with the disposable income to spend a c-note for a single LP

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah...I know. I have the ORG and the Analogue Productions 45 RPM Bloodlines box. I also have the 33RPM Direct Disc Labs pressing of B,S & T. Its a great album but I am saturated with pressings of it.

I learned my lesson back in the days of the original UHQR. I got picky with those and missed 4 of them. I promised myself I would buy 2 of each UD1S release for an investment and so far its a hell of an investment. Each of those UD1S releases is worth at least twice what I paid for them.

I don't know how many UD1S releases there will be but I will continue to buy 2 of each. Somewhere down the line I will sell the 2nd of each UD1S. Who knows? Maybe my children will be the ones to reap the rewards.

At any rate, I will collect all of them and someone will find it interesting in the future. Interesting enough to pay good money for them.

B,S, & Tears is a great recording, worthy of the one step process for sure.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I agree with Myles. So I'm a bit disappointed and burned out on the One-steps...

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          They seem to be coming out fast too. Almost as fast as their regular titles.

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          "as close as you are going to get" is different from "as good as the master tape." Having said that, I would rather have a copy of the master tape on 15ips/2 track than the LP.

• EdAInWestOC
          EdAInWestOC commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry...I don't have any hairs left to split. But that doesn't help.

Of course I would rather have a 15ips 1/2 track copy of the master tape but that isn't the subject of this thread. I just wanted to point out the fact that the UD1S series is far from just a marketing ploy. They have removed a set of plating steps from vinyl production and produced the best possible quality vinyl. The result is as close to a master tape as you can get on vinyl.

You could find fault with this or that aspect of their vinyl pressing production but that is just nit picking. I like the fact that MoFi did what they did with the UD1S series. It is a very good thing for vinyl collectors.

I only bought one so far, Abraxas, which sounds excellent to me. How do the others compare sonically'?
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
          EdAInWestOC commented
          Editing a comment
          They are all great pressings. The sonic quality is dependent on the master tape...obviously. They are as good as you can get. The Analogue Productions UHQR is also great.

If you want the best possible pressing of the title, the UD1S is a great pressing, period. If it is worth the asking price is a personal thing. Words like "Worth" are an indication of a personal value judgement.

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
        I only bought one so far, Abraxas, which sounds excellent to me. How do the others compare sonically'?
        I think you have the best of the bunch... stop there- unfortunately I missed that one and have all the others . I have not opened up SRV yet.Its been sitting for a month or so since it arrived.
        Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          The SRV sound should be excellent as stock Lps on columbia sound wonderful

Originally posted by EdAInWestOC View Post
        I just got off the phone with MusicDirect and here are the three UD1S titles I did not have on order (so I guess they are new):

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
        Electric Light Orchestra - El Dorado
        Blood Sweat and Tears - Blood Sweat & Tears

Music Direct: 800-449-8333

Ed

PS I also checked with Acoustic Sounds and they are not taking orders for the next UHQR (Aqualung).
        Anybody notice that all three of those titles are originally on Columbia label?

Comment

• lasercd
          lasercd commented
          Editing a comment
          Sony is very amenable to licensing titles from their catalog. They also prefer licensing multiple titles at a time.

Title correction:

It's Eldorado NOT El Dorado

Brilliant album.
        Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Working...
        X