Yes Fragile Ultradisc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Fragile Ultradisc

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200214_230753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	131914

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about the latest Yes Fragile release.

Fragile is one of my favorite Ultradisc reissues to date. Yes it still has that MOFI signature "sound" characteristized by a softening of upper octaves, a slight loss of space and a little thickening in the bass. (Something always attributed to the EAR electronics.) But this reissue is huge sounding, has surprisingly low bass and is very dynamic. My main reservation is the recording loses a little of its pristiness under very dynamic conditions. Otherwise Fragile is a joy to listen to and one of my favorite Yes recordings featuring the great--and one of my favorite musicians--Rick Wakeman on keyboards!

Now to compare to the AP and original George Piros mastered LPs.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

i like my 'grey market' 15ips, 1/4" master dub pretty good. so passed on this.
    https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Myles...your comment about the rolling off of the high end and the thickening of the bass is a classic symptom of not adapting to the thicker LP. Many people refuse to adapt to different thickness LPs and miss some of the best sound in their collection. All you have to do is slightly raise the tonearm tail end to adapt to the thickness and the symptoms you describe just go away.

The stylus is not situated in the groove optimally. It can be repeated with all sorts of LPs and the symptom can be reproduced. I do not give a tinkers damm what any so called expert says. This does exist. Anyone can reproduce it and it is relevant to top quality sound.

I don't understand people who spend 10s of thousands on LP playback gear and ignore one of the most critical adjustments for maximum playback fidelity. It just baffles the imagination. Then these same people claim this or that LP is superior when they are not paying attention to this adjustment. I am tired of typing about this.

Ed
      Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
      https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime TT w/Walnut Plinth, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS Speed Ctrl, 3D Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift
      Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup Transformer + Liberty Audio B2B-1 Phono Preamp, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
      Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 High-res USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
      Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
      Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
      Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro + SRM 1 MK II, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2
      Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
      Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ed. That’s a good point and why I have the VPI and SAT arms. Easy to adjust for that. Especially the SAT that is calibrated. Been adjusting for VTA ever since had the ET arm and used a dial micrometer on top of the arm to adjust for different LPs.

Now of course that opens up another bag of worms. Do you readjust VTF after adjusting height? In other words, is the change in sound due to VTF or VTA changes?

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been using the VPI 10.5 inch 3D tonearm for several years now (IIRC) and the VTF difference between the 200gm setting and the standard 120-140gm setting is pretty insignificant. Unless you have a cartridge that has differences in performance based on approximately 0.05 gram changes, I would not sweat the VTF changes.

I checked out the VTF changes between the most extreme VTA settings on my 3D tonearm and it was a maximum of 0.06grams. Maybe some cartridges have super sensitive suspensions or track differently based on VTF changes like that but my cartridge seems immune to those kind of changes (Ortofon Windfeld Ti w/less than 300 hours on the original stylus).

I would imagine most cartridges are immune to VTF changes of around 0.05 grams. They are much more sensitive to VTA/SRA changes (assuming the cartridge has a tall thin tracing edges on its stylus).

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...ken-or-the-egg

This is my favorite Fragile reissue so far. And is seams to me that the latest super vinyl formulation used by MoFi One-Step, QRP/UHQR and MMJ SRX is a big factor in the performance. Low noise, uncompressed dynamics, bass slam, etc., etc.

Comment

I also think it sounds fabulous. I have 5 different versions of Fragile now...it’s one of my favorite albums of all time. I don’t have any other UD1S’s to compare it to but it sure sounds better than any of the other commercial versions I have. I do think the 15 IPS master tape copy I have is just a little better, but not as much as it is over the prior LP reissues.
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I have this one unopened along with Monk... I should give it a try.

I have largely been unimpressed with the one step reissues save for Abraxas - the congested bass and blunted top are attributes that I hear as well. I will try the VTA.
          Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Working...
          X