ID:	149946
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Myles, do you know how they get 10,000 copies from their one step process? I can see that a lacquer is cut, and then a father is made which is used as the stamper. I would guess that they do not stamp 10,000 records from one stamper. Would they make many fathers from the one lacquer, or cut many lacquers and make a different father from each lacquer? Curious minds want to know.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Joe Pittman
      Joe Pittman commented
      Editing a comment
      Only one stamper (they call a convert) is produced per lacquer. And about 500 (maybe up to 1000, but I have not seen current claims by them) records are stamped from each convert. So maybe 20 lacquers will be cut for Tapestry. There are numbers etched in the dead wax which likely identify each convert. I suspect there is unit-to-unit variation, all records are one of a kind no mater how they are produced.

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Joe. That makes sense. . It would be interesting to find out how many copies they get out of each convert. Larry

Well they were either very conservative on their first few releases, have improved the technology or ......
    Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
    2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
    Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
    2. Schick 12"
    3. Abis SA-1
    Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
    PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
    CD: Wadia 860x
    Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
    DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
    Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
    Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
    Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Not sure how this record will turn out, have never heard a listenable copy of Tapestry, so I imagine it just wasn't recorded well.
      I'll wait and see on this one. Some recordings have it and some don't, Great music though.
      Amp-McIntosh MC501x2,ATI 2505,ATI 1505,Innersound amp
      Preamp-McIntosh c2200,Marantz AV7005
      Phono Pre-Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE
      Speakers-Innersound Eros w/new panels and woofers,
      Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,Paradigm 80's 60's and CC350
      Crossover-DBX Venu 360
      Analog-VPI Scoutmaster Hana SL,2-Sony APR 5003,Revox B77
      Digital-Sony SCD XA5400ES, JRIVER Media Center
      Wadia DI122 DAC
      Subs-2 Velodyne HGS10's,2 Velodyne 1200's
      Tuner-Revox B760 McIntosh MR74 Sony XDR F1HD
      JVC Projector,Draper electric 92" screen
      Room dedicated 27'x16'x10', Bass traps
      VPI 17 record cleaning machine

Comment

Originally posted by russe41 View Post
        Not sure how this record will turn out, have never heard a listenable copy of Tapestry, so I imagine it just wasn't recorded well.
        I'll wait and see on this one. Some recordings have it and some don't, Great music though.
        Agreed. I have two tape copies of Tapestry. One is a little better than the other (it is a second generation dub of a safety or production master). The tracks are variable in quality. I much prefer the audio quality of Carole King The Carnegie Hall Concert 1971, which Mobile Fidelity released on SACD some time ago. It was her first live concert (IIRC) and came out shortly after Tapestry was released, so there is a lot of overlap with Tapestry. At the end of the concert James Taylor comes on stage and sings with Carole.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

there's an assignment for the ambitious types with a lot of time on their hands...investigate every lacquer cut and do side-by-side shoot-outs with every other pressings born for different lacquers of the same Mofi one step title. whew! I get tired just thinking about it.
          Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I get so dang tired of seeing “special” pressing and analogue tape transfers for huge dollars that are the same old “worn out” (my opinion) titles.

Sorry, truly sorry, but if you personally cherish some (or all) of these titles, God bless you in your bliss, but for me it is a bit closer to a music lovers version of Dante’s Inferno.

I understand why they pick low hanging fruit, I do, but it just, with all due respect, does not blow the wind up my skirt.

Sorry to be a bummer but just had to purge that.

Please carry on, Happy Listening!
            Living-Listening room 1100sq (modestly lively): Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12 >Miyajima Zero, Graham Phantom III >DynaVector Te Kaitora Rua, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz >Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 ICs, Silent Source Music Ref/Shunyata NR, CX Anaconda/Elrod EPS-3 Sign mains, Atma-Sphere MP1 & MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Classic Audio T3.4 full voice coiled, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor, REL S812 (pair)

Comment

Working...
            X