Donald Fagen - The Nightfly: Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc 1-Step, UD1S 2-003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Fagen - The Nightfly: Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc 1-Step, UD1S 2-003

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	68531My UD1S copies arrived yesterday. So, last night I did the logical thing: a vertical test between the original 1982 USA Warner Bros. release (9 23696-1), the 1983 Mobile Fidelity MFSL release (MFSL 1-120), and the just-released Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc 1-Step release (UD1S 2-003). While the original USA Warner pressing is really quite good, and compares quite favorably to the MoFi MFSL pressing, save for areas like surface noise, bass impact, and general clarity, this new UD1S is far-and-away much better than either of them.

The first thing I noted, right from the opening note, was much greater dynamic expressiveness. Further, this record is remarkably quiet, and that velvety quietness serves to further enhanced dynamic contrasts, both micro and macro. Bass extension, impact, and pitch definition are markedly better than either the US Warner or the MoFi MFSL release. Mids are more focused, with more clarity, and a remarkable sense of vibrancy, imparting a much more “live” sense to this release than to either of the other releases. The air, delicacy, attack, and decay on cymbals is so much more accurate and superior to either other of the pressings that it is staggering… Really!

Resolution and transparence are exceptional, totally off the charts! This LP really approaches the sound of a master tape!

Staging and imaging are greatly improved, with clearly greater depth and more accurate and intricate layering. The sense of the spatial relationships, as well as the sizes and shapes of the images are so correct, you feel as though you could almost get up and walk around "in" the recording.

Both human and instrumental voices are more distinctly focused in their location, and have both more body and much richer texture. The backing vocalists take on much more individuality, sounding much more like a group of individual voices singing together than a homogeneity of voices.

Overall, the energy, vibrancy, tonal richness, pace and drive from this pressing is irresistible. This LP gets my complete and unreserved endorsement… I hope you have already ordered yours, because they were nearly sold out at 11:00 AM yesterday morning...

Last edited by theaudioanalyst; 10-21-2017, 09:50 PM.
    Greg Weaver - Senior Writer, The Absolute Sound - Kronos Sparta/Helena tonearm/Air Tight PC-1 cartridge, Hegel HD30 DAC, VAC Statement 450i iQ, Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Linestage/Inspiration 1.0 Stereo's biamped, DSA Pre 1, DSA Phono II or ModWright PH-150 Reference, VSA ULTRA 9's, VSA VR-55 Aktives, Stealth Śakra and Audience Au24 SX signal cables, Stealth Dream V14 speaker cables, Audience Au24 USB, Audience Au24 powerChords. Audience aR12 Conditioner, Grand Prix Audio Monaco stands

Let's keep in mind this was an early digital recording and while it does sound "good" for an early digital recording, it still shows its provenance. Listen to Ruby Baby and tell me you can't hear that this is a digital recording. I own the original version and have not felt the need to seek out other copies. I'm a little surprised that MoFi didn't release strictly analog recordings for the UltraDisc series, but they will obviously issue what will sell in the marketplace.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new version.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

My two copies were shipped yesterday. According to FedEx they arrive next Tuesday...I'm looking forward to it.

What I don't understand about he original poster is this line:

"and compares quite favorably to the MoFi MFSL pressing, save for areas like surface noise, bass impact, and general clarity". I hope that was a joke.

If not...how can anyone say one pressing compares favorably except for "surface noise, bass impact and general clarity"? It like comparing a premium steak and a McDonalds hamburger and finding them comparable except for taste, presentation and indigestion. What is the point?

If it was a joke, well done.
      Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
      https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime TT w/Walnut Plinth, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS Speed Ctrl, 3D Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift
      Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices Sky 30 Stepup Transformer + Liberty Audio B2B-1 Phono Preamp, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
      Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 High-res USB Interface, Pioneer DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C446 Internet Radio/Streamer
      Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
      Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, Magnepan DW-M Planar Woofer, REL T9/i Subwoofer
      Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro + SRM 1 MK II, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2
      Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono ICs, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs

Comment

Originally posted by EdAInWestOC View Post
        My two copies were shipped yesterday. According to FedEx they arrive next Tuesday...I'm looking forward to it.

What I don't understand about he original poster is this line:

"and compares quite favorably to the MoFi MFSL pressing, save for areas like surface noise, bass impact, and general clarity". I hope that was a joke.

If not...how can anyone say one pressing compares favorably except for "surface noise, bass impact and general clarity"? It like comparing a premium steak and a McDonalds hamburger and finding them comparable except for taste, presentation and indigestion. What is the point?

If it was a joke, well done.
        Well, I don't think he intended it as a joke so therefore what you said is a bit harsh, even by my standards. The main thing is that he loves his new Ultra copy of Nightfly and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. I have no complaints about surface noise, bass impact, or general clarity with my original pressing of Nightfly. My only complaint is that it is an early digital recording and it wears its roots.
        SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• rockitman
          rockitman commented
          Editing a comment
          I plan to compare the original press with my Ultra Disc. My bet, it won't even be close...the Ultra Disk will smoke the original (gut feeling only)

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          how about a comparo between the digital file used to cut the lacquer and the UD pressing... I love the album, I played it to death back in the day when the first in-dash CD head units for the car came out. def my go to demo disc back then.

• EdAInWestOC
          EdAInWestOC commented
          Editing a comment
          If I came off too harsh I apologize. It does seem a bit strange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	68568 Tonight’s face off...Ultra Disk versus original Japan Mofi (1983) I don’t have the 1982 first issue by Warner Bros.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

No contest

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-21 11.42.45.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	68576

Comment

• rockitman
            rockitman commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that the first issue Warner Bros. Randy ?

• RandyRobinson
            RandyRobinson commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Masterdisk, RL.

I have the original LP and the DVD-Audio of The Nightfly. Love the album. But it strikes me as a very odd choice for this kind of “ultra” LP.

That said...if it came out on reel to reel...I’d probably buy it
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I am more than happy with my original German masterdisk RL pressing

personally I find getting every 9 mins, 9 mins, 11mins and 7 minutes a total PITA for a single album. the 45rpm should sound better regardless.

a better comparison would have been original single album version vs the so-called one step remaster on 33 1/3rd.

Comment

I thought that I what I meant with the line, "While the original USA Warner pressing is really quite good, and compares quite favorably to the MoFi MFSL pressing, save for areas like surface noise, bass impact, and general clarity, this new UD1S is far-and-away much better than either of them." was pretty clear. My apologies if it was somehow confusing... I was saying that the ORIGINAL 1982 US Warner pressing was really very good - all things being equal, and that the 1983 MoFi was quieter, had better bass transients, and less hash and grain... Does that make more sense now? It was no joke...
              Greg Weaver - Senior Writer, The Absolute Sound - Kronos Sparta/Helena tonearm/Air Tight PC-1 cartridge, Hegel HD30 DAC, VAC Statement 450i iQ, Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Linestage/Inspiration 1.0 Stereo's biamped, DSA Pre 1, DSA Phono II or ModWright PH-150 Reference, VSA ULTRA 9's, VSA VR-55 Aktives, Stealth Śakra and Audience Au24 SX signal cables, Stealth Dream V14 speaker cables, Audience Au24 USB, Audience Au24 powerChords. Audience aR12 Conditioner, Grand Prix Audio Monaco stands

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
                EdAInWestOC commented
                Editing a comment
                No sweat...I apologize if I was too harsh in my response. It wasn't a good day and I shouldn't have written anything.

• Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                I have not listened to this record so have no chihuahua in this enchilada, but some of the standard Warner issues were fabulous, green label, through Burbank street scene and even some of the cream/small WB logo'd ones. RLJ's debut is outstanding on the standard issue. The old MoFi has better surfaces and the EQ gives it a little more heft that some may like-- this is one of the old MoFi's that in my estimation withstood the test of time. Warner had a great roster during the hard rock era. Too bad those first couple Steely Dan records were on ABC.

Comparing my 1983 Japan MoFi, JVC super vinyl profile, the One-Step is not any quieter in the record surface noise dept...both about as good as it gets. The mixes seem similar too with cymbals which are imo to loud in the mix and show this titles digitalness so to speak. The ultimate fidelity is better with the one step, in particular the bass. The one-step is a significantly louder recording by +3-5dB I estimate. Very noticeable difference when you play the two different versions back to back. Fun excercise.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

I would be curious if anybody could I.D. the broadcast turntable & tonearm on the cover shot ...

Comment

• theaudioanalyst
                  theaudioanalyst commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably a vintage '50's RCA or Western Electric 16", with a Para-Flux A-16 arm. The mic is an RCA 77DX... Those are Chesterfield Kings, and he has one of his favorite albums, "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders," from 1958 on the table in front of him. ;-)

I wonder how the sound of the LP would compare to hearing the direct sound from the output of the DAC used for the cutting?
                Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
                Pass Labs INT60
                Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
                REL S3
                Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
                Torus IS5

Comment

Mine should be here early this week, along with the Layla Sessions. Hopefully, my TT will be back up and running by the time it gets here. Let me know when you guys are doing all these comparisons, I will put mine on, pour some whiskey and be enjoying mine at the same time.

Beau
                Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

Truth be told never heard of the album lol. Own SACD ,s of Asia n Groucho. Been to two of his concerts boring and could not wait to leave.
                  I know three of the songs on this album. I'll play it on tidal wonder if its Mqa as well. I love looking at what is spinning it always yields new music to play. Please don't take my comments as sarcasm it's not to be its just honesty of my choices.
                  analog stuff.
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                  sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                  thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                  kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                  phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                    Truth be told never heard of the album lol. Own SACD ,s of Asia n Groucho. Been to two of his concerts boring and could not wait to leave.
                    I know three of the songs on this album. I'll play it on tidal wonder if its Mqa as well. I love looking at what is spinning it always yields new music to play. Please don't take my comments as sarcasm it's not to be its just honesty of my choices.
                    It's a winner in Surround Sound SACD. Recommended.
                    Available at Amazon for $28 new.

The Nightfly in SACD Surround Sound

https://www.amazon.com/Nightfly-Dona.../dp/B005804N4Q

Comment

Working...
                    X