Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

There was another label that used a dye rather than carbon black in their vinyl discs. Just can’t remember who. Anybody remember the company?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps it is Chesky that I am thinking of. Though might have just been a test pressing he gave me way back when.

• RandyRobinson
      RandyRobinson commented
      Editing a comment
      There are two A&M Joe Jackson releases that are translucent when held up to light but I don't know how this was accomplished. I've heard others refer to these as being on Quiex vinyl. SP 5000 Body and Soul and SP 6201 Big World. The Classic Holly Cole - Temptation is on Quiex SV-P but is not translucent. The upcoming Hendrix release by QRP does not use carbon black

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment

I hope this is an improvement. Sitting and listening to my old MF pressing of Getz/Gilberto and as is the case with all of my MFs just beautiful.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite Level 2X AC Cord & Level 3 HC AC Cord , Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

Painstaking to produce and 3x the price of standard MFSL LPs yet be negligent the amount of pops, clicks, scuffs, and poor quality control is tough to deal with. Having no confidence whether you'll receive a quiet and clean pressing seems crazy for the amount they charge. Need to seriously step up quality improvement. From what I've heard about the numerous defects and surface noise on the pressings (and not to mention many receiving duplicates of one side of the record) will prevent me from purchasing these premium releases in the future. For those that receive quiet pressings, the sound quality is superb though.

Comment

sounds like marketing pablum, NEOTECH? never heard of them and sleuthing the internet resulted in a big fat nada. Don't get me wrong i'm not being a wet blanket but enough already. The other co. Myles was thinking of that Bill mentioned was indeed Quiex (semi-translucent). back in the day JVC super vinyl was better than what we got from the majors, but what did you expect when you switched from melted down BIC pens to real virgin vinyl??...If you ask Chad (off the record) you'll get the straight scoop on the mystery behind vinyl formulations. that said i'm perfectly happy with whatever QRP uses and its as good as it gets. rant off.
        Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Quicksilver| Chord | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I assume Neotech is one of those Thai plastics company. I am pretty sure Neotech made the plastics used in CDs.

And what an album to get the first reissue of this new formulation! As I mentioned months ago or more MG's WGO would be the only 1-Step I'd ever buy and I did (I'm happy).
        Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Analog21 View Post
          Painstaking to produce and 3x the price of standard MFSL LPs yet be negligent the amount of pops, clicks, scuffs, and poor quality control is tough to deal with. Having no confidence whether you'll receive a quiet and clean pressing seems crazy for the amount they charge. Need to seriously step up quality improvement. From what I've heard about the numerous defects and surface noise on the pressings (and not to mention many receiving duplicates of one side of the record) will prevent me from purchasing these premium releases in the future. For those that receive quiet pressings, the sound quality is superb though.
          Analog21.......Your comments ring true for me, as well. Call me a party pooper if you wish, but this constant regurgitation of "master" recordings on some supposedly new vinyl created in some special way leaves me completely disinterested. Record companies, pressing plants, and vinyl retailers want us to fork up even more money for this "new" LP technique and material, expecting us to purchase yet another copy of recordings we quite likely already have several copies of already, all because they have improved something. Oh yeah, I'm believing that.

In general the quality of current vinyl pressings, already at ridiculous prices, is hit or miss with no assurance of getting a quality pressing. My personal experiences have demonstrated that approximately 25%, perhaps even a bit more, of the vinyl I purchased in the past couple of years has been defective in some way, i.e. noisy, tick's and pops due to vinyl defects, some with defects visible to the naked eye, and yes I wash my records. Not only are low quality pressings anticlimactic and disappointing from an end user's perspective, it adds cost for return shipping, frustration waiting for replacements, and sometimes having replacements be defective thus requiring additional cost for return shipping, and waiting for a third copy to show up. It takes all the fun out of the purchasing experience. Return shipping by US Mail for an album has cost me $8.00 each time. Add return costs to the cost of the original LP purchase, typically $29.00 to $39.00 per album plus shipping, and now the true cost of a single LP goes as high as $52.00. If a second return is required, which has twice happened to me, the cost goes even higher. That's absurd. I have a copy of a Houston Persons LP that is still defective after two replacements. I gave up and kept it because I did not want to go through a third return process and expense. Out of all the tracks on the album only four are listenable. It gets old pretty darn fast. For me it isn't worth the hit or miss aspect of purchasing mail order LP's. No matter what the retailers advertise or say, it's a total crap shoot to get a quality pressing. I am a fussy audiophile. I expect to receive full value for my purchases. Even 45 years ago when I was buying LP's for $4.00 each I expected a clean pressing. For $39.00 plus shipping per LP at today's prices, I damn sure want my money's worth. It has come down to over a quarter of my LP purchases require at least one return to get a decent copy. This has put a huge damper on my enthusiasm for purchasing new vinyl LP's.
          Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
          LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 MkIII (2), MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Comment

I hope it's good. I love this album, have my pre-order in.
            SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII
            DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
            PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS power supply (EAT phono for sale)
            PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
            AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
            SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
            CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

• Slowgeezr
              Slowgeezr commented
              Editing a comment
              Me, too!

Hmmm, reformulation...

What ever happened to the beloved JVC vinyl that they once pressed on???

I've liked and financially supported MoFi's efforts for decade and would never care to pooh-pooh any effort to make our vinyl offerings and experiences greater. Though this kind of just smells like a way to boost credibility in a very pricey format that has shown somewhat significant spottiness in their quality control. I've read quite a few credible complaints, even when tempered by the notion that some folks (audiophile especially, may never be satisfied), and yet I buy very, very good, cheap label vinyl on a regular basis that to my amazement is virtually flawless and I don't get stuck with complete careless blunders like two side A/Bs (this has happened to me three (3) times with MoFi) in a two record set.

Perhaps their efforts would be better spent improving quality control of what they already do so well?
            Listening/Living room 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live & dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor

Comment

• timztunz
              timztunz commented
              Editing a comment
              It seems like sometimes they forget that the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

• DetroitVinylRob
              DetroitVinylRob commented
              Editing a comment
              exactly
          Working...
          X