This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henry-M View Post
    Hello, got mine yesterday too. What I believe would considered the "noise floor" is much less. The only other aspect that I noticed was that the instrument sounded "crisper" if that is an acceptable term. I was sent # 642 and 2400 something! Comparing it to a production reel dub (15ips, 2track, IEC) that I have, I can only comment that it sounds 'different' and enjoy both.
    Hi ya Henry! Glad to see you posting!!!

I am curious. Different in which ways between the dub and LP?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Good day Myles, thank you.
      I picked El Condor Pasa, since it's a brief song and I'd say easier to remember A/B comparisons.
      I listened consecutively four times in this order: (Mofi, tape, Mofi, tape)
      Only re-adjusted volume to satisfy a perception of equal loudness across the mediums

Using An Audio Glossary: J. Gordon Holt, July, 1993, These few terms stood out to compare / contrast

aliveness goes to tape
      airy goes to MOFI
      lean/cool goes to MOFI
      depth goes toTape
      dynamic goes toTape
      ease - both tape & Mofi

Source of tape is a popular ebay'er at 15ips, 2track, IEC, played through UHA deck.
      Vinyl played through modest Project George Harrison turntable/project tube preamp, ortofon 20.

Thank you. Henry-M

Comment

Originally posted by Henry-M View Post
        Good day Myles, thank you.
        I picked El Condor Pasa, since it's a brief song and I'd say easier to remember A/B comparisons.
        I listened consecutively four times in this order: (Mofi, tape, Mofi, tape)
        Only re-adjusted volume to satisfy a perception of equal loudness across the mediums

Using An Audio Glossary: J. Gordon Holt, July, 1993, These few terms stood out to compare / contrast

aliveness goes to tape
        airy goes to MOFI
        lean/cool goes to MOFI
        depth goes toTape
        dynamic goes toTape
        ease - both tape & Mofi

Source of tape is a popular ebay'er at 15ips, 2track, IEC, played through UHA deck.
        Vinyl played through modest Project George Harrison turntable/project tube preamp, ortofon 20.

Thank you. Henry-M

Hi Henry. Interesting, thank you for sharing. Would you mind sharing the identity of eBay tape seller?
        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
        Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
        Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
        Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
        Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
        Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
        Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
        Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
        CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
        Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
        Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
        Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
        Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
        Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

L Brook
          Last edited by Henry-M; 08-18-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

MoFI did a nice job. Plenty of air/seperation in the mix. Nice and dynamic for a folk/pop recording from 1970.

I don’t have any tape to compare it to but I will see if a cassette is available on Amazon.
            Last edited by dan31; 08-22-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Search on ebay: simon and garfunkel bridge over troubled water cassette

got 24 hits for the cassette with the highest price $16.71 + shipping..... (8.22.18 10:24pm EST)

Already ebayer's selling the MOFI for greater than twice the price of our $99 cost !

Comment

Both of the recent Ry Cooder MOFI reissues are exemplary. Paradise and Lunch and Boomer's Story. A+ for both.

Comment

Working...
                X