Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music Matters - pending new reissue program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Matters - pending new reissue program.

Saw this on the SHForums and thought you'd want to know.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-20091885
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

That's great news. I wonder what albums in the Capitol catalogue they will be releasing... Can't wait to hear in 2019

Comment

Hope they are all analog unlike the latest digital BN reissues.

From Joe Harley’s FB page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A96C14AB-800D-4B63-8DF0-CFA40FC9E569.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	103179

“This was at the annual LA/Orange County Audio Society Gala where the great tenor sax/composer Wayne Shorter was given the award for Audiophile Album of the Year for his recent Blue Note 3-LP album Emanon. Don and I also used the occasion to announce the Tone Poet Series, a group of 18 albums culled from all eras and associated labels Blue Note, curated and supervised in all aspects (mastering, packaging, etc) by me. The official announcement is coming later this month but I did sneak in a couple of titles: Chick Corea's masterpiece trio session with Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes: Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. Also Wayne Shorter's brilliant Etcetera, featuring Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee and Joe Chambers. The series starts in February with these titles. None of the titles have been reissued before and all are mastered from the original analog master tapes. Am I excited? Yes!!!”
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

And Joe’s response to my question about whether the reissues will Be Analog or digitally sourced!

”Of course!! Now, there is one title where the master is digital since we're talking modern Blue Note as well. But I'm being extremely careful with that one to make sure we're using the same converter at the same transfer rate for the cutting of the LP. There was another title where I was certain it was digital and then the tape vault guy says "well, there are also these 7 boxes of tapes." I said "yeah .... could you take photos of those boxes and send it to me?" They do and it turns out this title was recorded analog and only released on digital! We cut it the other day and it was AMAZING!”

Joe’s da man!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          And Joe’s response to my question about whether the reissues will Be Analog or digitally sourced!

”Of course!! Now, there is one title where the master is digital since we're talking modern Blue Note as well. But I'm being extremely careful with that one to make sure we're using the same converter at the same transfer rate for the cutting of the LP. There was another title where I was certain it was digital and then the tape vault guy says "well, there are also these 7 boxes of tapes." I said "yeah .... could you take photos of those boxes and send it to me?" They do and it turns out this title was recorded analog and only released on digital! We cut it the other day and it was AMAZING!”

Joe’s da man!
          Myles, keep the information flowing. This is all good news.
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

From stevehoffman.tv

Hi gang, been a while!! As some of you know, I've been working with Don Was on various projects for much of the year, including Charles Lloyd & Lucinda Williams brilliant album Vanished Gardens featuring Bill Frisell and the just-released Blue Note Review2 box. Yesterday, while in Buena Park to attend the annual awards event for the LA/OC Audio Society Don and I accepted the award on Wayne Shorter's behalf for Audiophile Record of the Year for his 3-LP masterpiece Emanon. (Wayne was in DC receiving Kennedy Center Lifetime Achievement Award ..... literally at the same time as the event in Buena Park.

Don and I decided to take the opportunity to also announce a new series of LP only releases that I'll be producing to be called the Tone Poet Series. (Tone Poet is a nickname that Charles Lloyd gave me many years ago when we were working on his ECM albums.) This series will consist of 18 never before reissued releases from Blue Note and also BN associated labels like Solid State, Pacific Jazz and World Pacific. We'll also be diving into some of the modern BN catalog in this series.

It's no secret that Don Was has been a long time, very vocal admirer of what Ron Rambach and I have done with our Music Matters Blue Note reissues. Accordingly, this series is being produced exactly the same way, with the kind of intense attention to mastering, pressing and packaging that Ron and I put into each and every Music Matters release. The Tone Poet series will be mastered by Kevin Gray at his excellent Cohearent Mastering facility and the LPs will be pressed under Rick Hashimoto's supervision at RTI. Jackets will be the same high quality you know so well from Music Matters and will be produced by the great team at Stoughton Printing. I'll wait for the actual announcement to give you the complete list, but I will confirm the first two titles: Chick Corea's masterpiece trio session with Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes- Now He Sings, Now He Sobs and Wayne Shorters incredible quartet session with Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee and Joe Chambers called Etcetera. I actually don't know final pricing yet but I think you can assume it will be under $40. The series will kick off in Feb, 2019 with these two titles and will continue until .... who knows. Until you guys stop buying them I guess! Enjoy! Joe Harley
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

New for 2019! The Definitive Blue Note Vinyl Reissues from Music Matters Jazz on SRX vinyl

- New Silent Running Xperience (SRX) vinyl
              - 12 Killer 33RPM all-analog Blue Note albums
              - Original analog tapes with new mastering from Cohearant
              - New titles announced daily at Music Matters Jazz
              - Introducing Johnny Griffin & Joe Henderson Inner Urge first two titles
              - Available for sale Midnight, New Year's Eve - 12:01 AM 1/1/2019

Here’s the thing…

Our mission at Music Matters has always been to get lovers of Blue Note jazz as close to the music as possible. We are obsessed with bringing listeners back to that studio in New Jersey, back to the very sessions when the musicians came together and played.

The musicians brought all their hardships into that studio - the struggle to create art - a living, breathing art, while having to endure the endless injustice and insult of racism, as we have seen in countless anecdotes and biographies. But they also brought hope and dignity and discipline and genius and joy, too.

They brought it all, the terrible and the sublime, into every session. And time after time they transformed it all and put it back into the world as some of the most beautiful and profound art created in the United States or anywhere else ever. And Rudy Van Gelder got it all on tape, every timeless bit of it.

The only reason we would come back with more would be if we heard those sessions again in a way that struck even veteran pros like us with the force of new revelation, in a way that gave us the sensation of hearing more fully and deeply from within the music itself than ever before. Put simply, we felt like we had to share it with you.

So, we’ve found that reason….. And it’s the vinyl! We’ve long wanted to get our all-analog re-masters of the original Van Gelder tapes onto something quiet and revealing, something that surpassed any vinyl formula ever developed.

So, for the past two years, in collaboration with Record Technologies Inc. and TPC Plastics we’ve been working on a vinyl formula that not only matches but surpasses the quality of the quietest vinyl ever put into production. Friends, we’ve finally achieved that goal!

We call it “SRX Vinyl.” SRX stands for “Silent Running Xperience.” SRX is our own proprietary formula, conceived and developed by Rick Hashimoto of Record Technology and manufactured by TPC Plastics.
              Its noise floor is fathoms lower than any other vinyl we know of out there past or present. Records pressed with it look like normal black discs until you hold them up to the light and see that they are translucent and smoky, silvery gray in color.

What matters most though, is the sound of the music.

The near-perfect silence of SRX Vinyl virtually frees the music from groove noise and draws you further into the listening space, setting it in relief so distinct, full and spacious it’s nearly sculptural. You hear more of what’s on the original tapes, not only of the notes played on the instruments but the sense of the event itself. There’s a richer sense of being in the presence of human souls breathing, plucking, blowing, pressing …. Working on and out via their instruments. You hear them searching together, conjuring the music with one another, putting that beauty into the world once again, right now, right here.

That’s our reason for continuing and we can’t think of a better one. This time around and for the time being we’re doing 12 titles, released all at once. All twelve titles will be available to purchase starting on January 1st, 2019.

With The Music in Mind,

Happy New Year!

Ron & Joe
              Music Matters Jazz
              https://www.musicmattersjazz.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C7D4D23-65C2-4894-A787-798C2BFF5FE2.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	104217

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I am excited about this with 2 pretty big caveats: 1) 10 of the first 12 titles have already been released in the 45s series; 2) $60 price tag per album.

I will have to be selective in what I buy.

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ouch. $60 is a lot, I wasn't paying attention to price but ive become more judicious with my music dollars the older I get.

Seen this posted online and wanted to share with the community.

the feedback, from the test pressings sound promising!

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/music...inition-vinyl/
                Last edited by Purevinyl; 12-25-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• timztunz
                  timztunz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Appreciate that, thank you!

Don’t forget, the new SRX Music Matters discs go on sale 1/1/19! https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/category-s/121.htm

Click image for larger version  Name:	DE94A0A2-D9AF-4DC0-972E-750F5AD5F887.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	105016

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I have my list ready.

Comment

I’m in for a few. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                    X