The Best of Rickie Lee Jones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

The MoFi remaster on vinyl is actually more tolerable than the original pressings. Myles can help here, I remember there was tape into the process somewhere. So, I can believe it.
    PS: musically, the record is great. That's why it was such a disappointment when it was originally released on vinyl. But, if you remember, we were in the dark days there- Jennifer Warne's Famous Blue Raincoat was considered a "good" recording.
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue49/vinyl.htm
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The LP is digital bright and screechy which is why they laid it back on tape to try and make it tolerable.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
        I have the MoFi and it's ok. The tape is much better.
        The tape I've heard sounds pretty good.
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

Which album is Chad releasing on tape? Any thoughts about it. Don't know much about RLJ. Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
          Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
            Which album is Chad releasing on tape? Any thoughts about it. Don't know much about RLJ. Larry
            It's Like This features RLJ showcasing her singing with standards, showtunes, etc. I particularly like her renditions of "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" but others might like her interpretation of The Beatles "For No One" or Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man." The opening tune "Show Biz Kids" is fabulous too. It was also an all analog recorded album released in 2000. You'll also find her backed by the likes of Joe Jackson, Ben Folds, Taj Mahal and John Pizzarelli.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RRAP_0003__118820__10042016023505-8778.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	30433

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

It's Like This features RLJ showcasing her singing with standards, showtunes, etc. I particularly like her renditions of "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" but others might like her interpretation of The Beatles "For No One" or Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man." The opening tune "Show Biz Kids" is fabulous too. It was also an all analog recorded album released in 2000. You'll also find her backed by the likes of Joe Jackson, Ben Folds, Taj Mahal and John Pizzarelli.

Click image for larger version Name:	RRAP_0003__118820__10042016023505-8778.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	30433
              Thanks, Myles. Any reason it isn't in your top 10 list? Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
              Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply

Comment

Thanks, Myles. Any reason it isn't in your top 10 list? Larry
                Because it's not out yet.

Comment

Because it's not out yet.
                  Not the tape - the vinyl - released in 2000 according to wiki - your RLJ top ten records list. Thanks, Larry

Comment

Not the tape - the vinyl - released in 2000 according to wiki - your RLJ top ten records list. Thanks, Larry
                    Ah!

The top ten albums are very special sounding?

Comment

Larry - get the tape. Breaking Silence is an awesome album and the tape is a revelation. I've owned many pressings of the LP, but the tape seems to be from a whole different world! Ignore the hyperbole - I'm just excited having listened to both reels yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by garylkoh View Post

Larry - get the tape. Breaking Silence is an awesome album and the tape is a revelation. I've owned many pressings of the LP, but the tape seems to be from a whole different world! Ignore the hyperbole - I'm just excited having listened to both reels yesterday.
                        Thanks, Myles. I already got a subscription. My two tapes arrived on Saturday - listened to both yesterday. I compared the Janis Ian to my Acoustic Sounds vinyl, which is great. The tape is a big step beyond great. The Webster tape is on the same level (don't have the vinyl). Larry

Comment

How about "Walk away Renee" from the LP "A Girl at her Volcano"?

Cyclotronguy

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                            MylesBAstor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Love it. The first time I heard the EP, I was visiting Elliot and Cara Kallen (The Tweak Shop in Santa Rosa) back in the '90s. Just wish it wasn't digital.

Don't forget Pop Pop.

Pirates was so nasty sounding they transferred it to tape before releasing. Imagine what the digital master must have sounded like.
                          While this may be true, I don't understand it. If studio R2R recorders are so good/accurate, why would a R2R dub/copy of a nasty master sound better than the original?
                          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

While this may be true, I don't understand it. If studio R2R recorders are so good/accurate, why would a R2R dub/copy of a nasty master sound better than the original?
                            Who says they wanted accuracy? Many times the producer/engineer will like on the Patricia Barber for instance mix the digital recording through an analog console to tape to warm up the sound so to speak.

Comment

• JCOConnell
                              JCOConnell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              running the nasty master thru a console is not the same as running it thru a studio R2R tape machine.

Her first album is by far my favorite - great songs and a pretty good recording. I saw her first in the early 1980s and she was amazing, although probably a little drunk. Then I saw her again about 10 years later after she went on the wagon and it was a pretty boring show.

I like a few of the songs from her other albums but someone mentioned "Pop Pop". That one was very well recorded and I recall "I Won't Grow Up" as a demo song at CES in the early 1990s.
                            Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Working...
                            X