Young Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Talent

The recent focus in the world of audio has been on those we have lost. I'd like to try and focus on what's new and who could possibly become the next generation's stars. We can't keep buying reissues of the same old people, can we?? What I am going to do is list my favorite young (under 30) artists (I hate using "best" for lists like this) that I've either seen or watched (TV or web) perform live. Selfishly, with these types of lists, I am looking for other favorites that I don't know about!!

Rock/Pop

Ella Henderson - mix of old and new. If she keeps her head on she will go far
    Emeli Sande - Power, grace and emotion. She has it all
    Miley Cyrus - Focus on her music like the backyard session and stay away from her rebellious phase.
    Aurora - Love voices like hers.
    Rebecca Ferguson - my favorite for long term potential!

Jazz

Gregory Porter - already a force. Love his tone.
    Miz Elizabeth - If you haven't seen the Hot Sardines and love upbeat jazz you are missing something.
    Cecile McLorn Savant - old school meets modern music.
    Mary Halvorson - Lone "musician" on this list. She can play!!
    Esperanza Spaulding - When I first saw her she didn't utter a word. When next, she sang I was smitten.

Classical/Opera

Don't even want to list the young talent show phenoms as I can't imagine what they are doing to their voices long term so I give you these three who have all performed for major companies;

Maria Agresta - Have to have an italian!! Power and control.
    Merideth Arwady - as was said "extraordinary instrument"
    Sasha Cooke - versatile and beautiful tone.
    Laquita Mitchell - Can't wait for her to grow into that voice. She has the chops!

Now show me yours.
    Last edited by Beaur; 11-18-2016, 04:31 PM.
    Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
    2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
    Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
    2. Schick 12"
    3. Abis SA-1
    Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
    PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
    CD: Wadia 860x
    Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
    DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
    Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
    Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
    Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

One of my favourite new(ish) bands is Half Moon Run. They're an indie rock/folk band and use a lot of percussion.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Great thread idea Beaur. Here are a few newish things I like:

Opeth- I backed into them through Damnation, and now have gone backwards toward their earlier, heavy stuff.
      Steve Wilson - Porcupine Tree and other bands- he is a mad professor of new prog
      Trixie Whitley- Albert Porter turned me on to Black Dub, and Trixie figured prominently in that band- produced by Daniel Lanois--she had a baby recently, don't know what she is up to, but for those here who like killer recordings, buy Trixie's 45 EP of "I'd Rather Go Blind" from Belgium--not the EP with that track among several others, but the EP with only that track. You'll thank me. And the original Black Dub album is worth owning - it has now reissued, I haven't heard that one, the earlier copies were, I think more discs, can't remember.
      Ken G turned me on to Wolf People -their new album Ruins is like a trip back to my sweet spot- UK circa 1969-70, but these dudes are from Sweden. They summon the old heavier rock/psych/folk thing, it is on vinyl and cheap.
      PS: Corrected name of thread starter. Also, my choices aren't under 30 but they are still relatively young, musically.

Comment

• Beaur
        Beaur commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bill. Will do some research and report back.

Cant help here. I don't follow new music....
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

To JC and other with the no new music is worth following; Think of it as new artists,then. Perfect;y acceptable for new artists to cover and even improve on the classics. My enjoyment of music is constantly evolving and even my tastes have changed over the years. Grew up in the rural south and it was classical or 70s rock for the the most part. Went away to college I expanded a bit into Austin's eclectic mix of the 80s. Grad school brought the Ramones and CBGBs into the mix. Relatively recently I have done more than the usual surface dive into jazz.

i can't ever see siting down with the same music day after day and not evolving.
        Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
        2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
        Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
        2. Schick 12"
        3. Abis SA-1
        Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
        PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
        CD: Wadia 860x
        Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
        DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
        Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
        Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
        Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

Originally posted by Beaur View Post
          To JC and other with the no new music is worth following; Think of it as new artists,then. Perfect;y acceptable for new artists to cover and even improve on the classics. My enjoyment of music is constantly evolving and even my tastes have changed over the years. Grew up in the rural south and it was classical or 70s rock for the the most part. Went away to college I expanded a bit into Austin's eclectic mix of the 80s. Grad school brought the Ramones and CBGBs into the mix. Relatively recently I have done more than the usual surface dive into jazz.

i can't ever see siting down with the same music day after day and not evolving.
          I'm into 60s and 70s rock and 50s and 60s Jazz and Classical of all eras up til digital. There was so much fantastic music recorded during these eras that I am still discovering gems. I'm certainly NOT sitting down and listening to the same music every day. I'm up to 4000 Lps and 1500 CDs.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

I'm into 60s and 70s rock and 50s and 60s Jazz and Classical of all eras up til digital. There was so much fantastic music recorded during these eras that I am still discovering gems. I'm certainly NOT sitting down and listening to the same music every day. I'm up to 4000 Lps and 1500 CDs.
            I can understand where you're coming from as my preferences seem to somewhat mirror yours, but I could never not give new music or artists a chance. I don't aggressively pursue new music, but when I do it's a joy to discover something fresh.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

The thing is, I don't have and certainly haven't heard every rock record from the 60s and 70s so when I acquire most of this stuff, it IS fresh to ME. I realize there is a lot of good new music out there, but I'm not done with the classic stuff yet.

Comment

London Grammar, Malia, AGNES OBEL, Ben Howard.....all new.
                RHAPSODY.AUDIO

http://www.rhapsody.audio

Pilium Audio, Magico, Alsyvox, Bayz Audio, Diesis Audio, Kondo, Nordost Supreme Reference Dealer, VYGER, VYDA Cables, Constellation, Taiko Audio - Extreme server, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Raidho, TechDAS, Critical Mass Systems, Aurender, TelluriumQ, CMS/Center Stage, Devialet, REL Acoustics, RD Acoustics

Comment

• Beaur
                  Beaur commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob, thanks for filling in, I forgot to list London Grammar. Very very good and as a bonus their LP has fantastic sound. I will check the other 2 out soon.

I love jazz, blues, rock, folk from years gone by. But I still enjoy discovering great new talent. Such as Justin Johnson...

Comment

I always ask my 26 year daughter to give me some new music she likes for XMas. This year it was Leon Bridges, the 25 year old soul singer. His song 'Smooth Sailin'" is getting some airplay. Very nice and recommended.

Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

A few more off the top of my head...

Jazz...
                    Eugenie Jones
                    Gretchen Parlato
                    Ariel Pocock
                    Melissa Aldana
                    Erena Terabuko
                    Rhythm Future Quartet
                    The Westerlies

Pop...
                    Jacco Gardner
                    Valerie June
                    First Aid Kit
                    Courtney Barnett
                    CloZee
                    Geoffrey Williams
                    Rainbow Girls
                    Sugar Candy Mountain

Country...
                    Kacey Musgraves
                    Caitlin Rose
                    Last edited by jazdoc; 12-31-2016, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Jazz Pianist Joey Alexander and his hit CD, My Favorite Things. One of my favorite things!

Ken
                      "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
                      --------------------------------------------
                      Source: MSB Select II DAC with
                      Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
                      Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
                      Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
                      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
                      Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Comment

Working...
                      X