No announcement yet.

Best Rock 'n Roll Drummer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie Watts is an excellent example of a drummer who does just what he is supposed to do without calling attention to himself. Not flashy (but can be if the music calls for it) just keeping the beat wherever it goes. When one is the drummer in a group with only 2 other instrumentalists (like so many of those mentioned so far), flashy is more acceptable, maybe even necessary. When there are several other players in the band it is much less desirable.

Charlie has dabbled in jazz but not nearly enough to make a career of it, unlike Bruford (especially) and Baker. Even Phil Collins has done the mandatory (for "serious" drummers) jazz stint.

Comment

Manu Katché (ok he is a cross-over jazz drummer but collaborated with Gabriel, Sting, etc), and Peart would be tops on my list.

Comment

Personally I don't think there is any real doubt that the most talented rock drummer is Neil Peart. He happens to also be my favorite, but that's not why he is the most talented

My second favorite is Bill Bruford, but I'm not sure he is the second BEST. I would have to pick Bonham second I think. And there are so many other great ones -Watts, Moon, Palmer, Bill Kreutzman, Alan White, Gavin Harrison...just off the top.

But to me, Neil Peart is in a class by himself.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; TEAC 3340S, X7-R; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• rbbert
        rbbert commented
        Editing a comment
        No Mike Portnoy?

• Skylab
        Skylab commented
        Editing a comment
        He should have been on my list for sure

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        Neil Peart is da man.

Kenny Aronoff is a great drummer. I saw Ringo's son Zak in concert with Ringo and His All Star Band when John Entwistle was playing with them. When it came time to play some Who songs, you would have swore Keith Moon was playing drums. Zak is a great drummer and has subsequently played with the remnants of the Who when they went on tour.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Gusf
        Gusf commented
        Editing a comment
        Zak was playing with The Who when we saw them in San Diego. He was outstanding.

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
      Charlie Watts is an excellent example of a drummer who does just what he is supposed to do without calling attention to himself. Not flashy (but can be if the music calls for it) just keeping the beat wherever it goes. When one is the drummer in a group with only 2 other instrumentalists (like so many of those mentioned so far), flashy is more acceptable, maybe even necessary. When there are several other players in the band it is much less desirable.

Charlie has dabbled in jazz but not nearly enough to make a career of it, unlike Bruford (especially) and Baker. Even Phil Collins has done the mandatory (for "serious" drummers) jazz stint.
      I think Charlie has more than "dabbled in jazz" over the years. He loves to play jazz and I think he has spent a great deal of time playing drums in jazz bands over the years. I don't think there is any doubt that Charlie could have earned a living playing jazz, but he was in this small band called the Rolling Stones and was busy becoming rich.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

John Wren a.s.a. Reni of the Stone Roses.

From wiki because I couldn´t describe him better: His laid-back style of complex, off-beat rhythms was influential in bringing about the blend of indie and dance music which formed much of the Manchester (or Madchester) sound of the day. He is considered by many industry insiders to be the best drummer of his generation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reni-the-stone-roses-1384860098-view-0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	48130

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	48136
          Meg White

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Meg learned to play on the job as it were. I read a comment by Jack that her amateurish playing had a similar quality to a child's abilities, he liked that about it.

• Billy Shears
            Billy Shears commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely. Thank god we are not scoring on the ability to keep time alone. Her unique ability on the Drums has a almost Jazz like quality. She reminds me of Ringo star or Keith moon in that she has such a distinct style.

Before I opened the page, I knew there was only one answer.

Comment

I've seen Baker, Moon, John Bonham back in the day, but I'll take Peart.
            Chris
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5 or W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e22Mkll, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se, HD800, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, Kimber cables

Comment

Working...
            X