Sgt. Pepper Gets 50th Anniversary Refreshing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt. Pepper Gets 50th Anniversary Refreshing

After months of speculation, The Beatles have revealed the details of "a suite of lavishly presented packages" of their landmark album
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

You know I guess in lifetime I will never here them in dsd.
    While my hopes are high it will be very good but since there is no sacd version and it's red book I still feel lost. The best I can do is by the vinyl too and have it ripped to dsd. What damn shame really. I do look forward to the full cd collection including the mono versions and new tracks
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

what? , no vinyl reissue of the original stereo mix on 180g and all analog gold colored vinyl?
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

"a suite of lavishly presented packages" sounds like a load of polished turds.

Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          "a suite of lavishly presented packages" sounds like a load of polished turds.
          Hahahha. So glad to read your comments. While I feel regardless of my misspellings and wondering posts. I do feel I know good sound. And for the them it's only a handful of tracks. Great music poorly given to us. Although I don't have tape or vinyl to judge from just digital
          analog stuff.
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

The vinyl is from the new stereo mix - digital probably? High Res audio is 24/96 of the new remix. They issued the Beatles albums some time ago in 24/48 - the best digital of the original mixes - on a stick. I liked those better than the CD's of the originals released at the same time. Don't remember what the resolution of DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 is - on Bluray. No SACD. I had lunch with some of the Decca Universal people three years ago after completing my Decca book. They were wondering why bluray audio only had not caught on. It was clear that they were concerned about copy protection for hirez and also a simplified distribution channel - bluray is pretty ubiquitous. Not sure how much Universal is involved vs. Apple. A bit ironic that Universal (which owns Decca) is now involved with the Beatles, when Decca rejected their audition and they went to Parlophone/EMI (and now Universal owns the pop side of EMI).

Got an email from Music Direct advertising preorders for shipment on May 26. Prices for the CD's and vinyl are about the going rate - the deluxe box is fairly pricey.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              The stick is 24/44.1

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Mark.

I have the cd and the stick also a ripped vinyl
            the stick is inside a cute green apple.
            Some art and the music in two pcm resolution
            MP3 and 24/96 I think. It all stinks really even when PAUL sings solo he is not in my room some guitars sound pretty good. Maybe there is no greet sound for them period. The remaster is better than the cd but still not good.
            Even Paul's later stuff non of it is ref quality just really good music. What were they thinking when they did the remaster to do it in pcm and not even hi Rez
            and now this upcoming reissued bull no dsd again.
            maybe they should let mqa do something too lol.
            analog stuff.
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Correct MEp I just plugged into to umt plus
              24/44. Sorry I miss spoke
              analog stuff.
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                Joe Pittman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the USB stick is 24/44.1 and is the highest and best digital Apple has released to date. When the crew did work on Beatles Love, it was remastered/remixed from the original analog tapes and mixing consoles (they found in storage) to 24/96 (if I recall, and I don't think they went to analog tape or DSD...). If you want to hear the Beatles with the highest rez digital, give Love a listen...

I love The Beatles, but I'm done.
              Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I wouldn't mind hearing the 5.1, but I went 2CH exclusively about 5 years ago, so there wouldn't be much point in buying the Blu-ray. Hence....I'm done.
                Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  even my home theater setup is two channel

• Tapetech
                  Tapetech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Blue-ray has a 2-channel, hi-rez version (as well as the 5.1)

The most interesting thing about this reissue are the prev.unreleased alternative takes. That will be the reason to get the 2 LP Version for me...

Comment

Sat down and listened to this with mixed results.

Is there more detail coming through? Sure. But the balance is edgy on some tracks and the stereo imaging is very hard right/hard left (on the two systems I tried it on). and at times lacking in bass impact. Put on my mono LP just to readjust expectations. Guess I'm not a big fan or maybe the hype had raised my expectations.

What have others found with this recording?
                  Main:VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11a, Wilson Maxx 2, Inouye power conditioner, Moon 280D DAC

#2 Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Bryston BP17, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono, Classe DR3 VHC, Martin Logan CLS, Hegel HD12 DAC

#3 Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A

#4 (AV) Marantz AV 7702 Mk2, Rowland 5, Wilson Maxx 2, Vandersteen VSM-1 (x4), Hsu VTF-15H Mk 2 (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by wspohn View Post
                    Sat down and listened to this with mixed results.

Is there more detail coming through? Sure. But the balance is edgy on some tracks and the stereo imaging is very hard right/hard left (on the two systems I tried it on). and at times lacking in bass impact. Put on my mono LP just to readjust expectations. Guess I'm not a big fan or maybe the hype had raised my expectations.

What have others found with this recording?
                    Were you listening to the new remix/remaster? You sound as if you are describing the original Sgt. Pepper's stereo mix. The new one has overwhelming bass (too much, in many posters' opinion) and a much more "centered", or "modern", stereo image compared to the original which like most of the Beatles stereo albums had drums off off to the side and vocals split. It's also the most compressed version ever of this album.
                    Tascam BR-20
                    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
                    Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
                    MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
                    Pass Labs INT60
                    Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
                    REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
                    Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
                    Torus IS5
                    Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Working...
                    X