The Mount Rushmore of Singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mount Rushmore of Singers

Which 4 male singers would you select if there were a Mount Rushmore of Singers? You can use any criteria to make a list as long as you spell out what it is. You may even have several lists, that's ok too.

To start with I made a list of singers who I think have the best voices, regardless of genre.

1. Nat King Cole
    2. Roy Orbison
    3. Frank Sinatra
    4. Elvis Presley

I'm going to make a list of female singers as well. (I already have one).

It's not as easy as it sounds.....at least for me, as I really had to think about it.

Looking forward to your selections!!

Have fun!

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Purely great voices-Pop Music
    Mel Torme
    Vic Damone
    Frank Sinatra
    Rosemary Clooney
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Tony Bennet

Opera-Male

jussi Bjorling
    Robert Merrill
    Ezio Pinza
    Giuseppi D'Luca
    Beniamino Gigli
    Hermann Prey

Female Opera

Zinka Milanov
    Renata Tebaldi
    Victoria De Los Angeles
    Rosa Ponselle
    Janet Baker
    joan Sutherland

You asked. Those are mine. Can't comment on rock. To me those singers aren't pure voices which doesn't mean they aren't great but that they are so intricately woven with personality I can't consider the voice apart from the person.
    Last edited by 1morerecord2clean; 05-02-2017, 01:27 PM.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      They're your choices, so they're valid for you. I know nothing about Opera so I welcome your inclusion.

• mkuller
      mkuller commented
      Editing a comment
      How can you list male opera singers without the 3 tenors, - Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras?

Ronnie James Dio - he gets my vote!

Comment

Originally posted by dirmae View Post
      Ronnie James Dio - he gets my vote!
      add plant and Mercury. RJD truly the greatest heavy metal singer.

Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
        Which 4 male singers would you select if there were a Mount Rushmore of Singers? You can use any criteria to make a list as long as you spell out what it is. You may even have several lists, that's ok too.

To start with I made a list of singers who I think have the best voices, regardless of genre.

1. Nat King Cole
        2. Roy Orbison
        3. Frank Sinatra
        4. Elvis Presley

I'm going to make a list of female singers as well. (I already have one).

It's not as easy as it sounds.....at least for me, as I really had to think about it.

Looking forward to your selections!!

Have fun!
        Great choices for a difficult situation.

I'm not sure that I would put Sinatra on the best voices list (I know he is many top lists) but he knew better than anyone else on how to arrange and sing a song.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

OK I'll play.

Here are my four choices in the pop area off the top of my head:

Tony Bennett
          Sting
          Neil Diamond
          Robert Plant

And found a little extra rock there so will throw in:

Marvin Gaye
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

My list of rock singers (subject to change/revision at the slightest whim):

Van Morrison
            David Bowie
            Greg Lake
            David Syvian
            Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
            Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
            Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
            Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

Tough to pick just 4.

1. Roy Orbison
              2. Van Morrison
              3. Frank Sinatra
              4. Ray Charles

While Elvis was important, he took black songs and made them safe for white teenagers.

To go on with my list of distinctive voices:

Rev. Al Green
              Roger Daltrey
              Robert Plant
              Paul Rogers

If you wanted to go back farther, you could add:

Tony Bennet
              Mel Torme
              Nat King Cole
              Sam Cooke
              Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Johnny nice list. Only thing is frank at the bottom. And I love Roy Near the top. What a voice he had. And Elvis when young was very good too. Funny frank was a crooner and Sean too. When young dean I thought had s better voice. There is a album with dean on the cover fantastic quality too bad the songs make suicidal hahaha way too slow
                analog stuff.
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                X