First of the Rock Supergroups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First of the Rock Supergroups

Short lived but left their mark forever on the face of rock music. I'll never forget my sophomore year in HS my music teacher playing the Beatles and Cream in class. Unheard of of! June 11, 1966 marks the date of the group's formation.
    The English weekly music paper Melody Maker revealed the news of the band, known as the first supergroup. Amazing how young their guitarist was...
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

"The Cream" as they called it in the UK. Did you ever see that interview of Clapton, in full psych regalia, being interviewed by a guy with those heavy black eye glasses and skinny suit/tie, explaining how a 'wah-wah' pedal works? It's pretty hilarious, Clapton seemed stoned out of his gourd. I think he was really at his peak in the early years, up through, say, Layla. Ginger Baker-crazy man, jazz and afro-poly rhythms, probably a better drummer than he is given credit for. Jack Bruce- one of those hugely under-rated talents. There is a video of him playing a piano and singing Theme for an Imaginary Western at his home- what a stunning voice. They were really talented.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you really think Baker and Bruce are underated Bill???

I remember Baker being awarded best drummer several times by Playboy magazine. I was sure they were right...until I heard Morello

Comment

Cream shouldn't even be discussed in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence as the Beatles. Yes, Cream was good and they had a few hit songs, but still...
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• rbbert
        rbbert commented
        Editing a comment
        Fleetwood Mac, so to speak

• RandyRobinson
        RandyRobinson commented
        Editing a comment
        Peter Green succeeded Clapton. Mick Taylor replaced Green when he left, taking Fleetwood and McVie with him.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't put anything past you guys! I am always amazed by the people who played with John Mayall. I/we played Turning Point to death in college.

Few bands have the clout that the Beatles did. Having said that there are many views to the debate. Is it sales , albums , longevity and so on.
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
        Cream shouldn't even be discussed in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence as the Beatles. Yes, Cream was good and they had a few hit songs, but still...
        Kinda different, though, don't you think? I mean, it's like comparing BBQ to french cuisine- you could say one is more refined, or whatever, but both still good. Unfortunately, I can't think of any recordings that sound great among Cream's repertoire. (Maybe there is one and I forget).

Comment

I have a cream album on sacd. Whiteroom was a song I could play on the bass in a band. It was one of the bands to play and thinking back the music was simple. At 60
          it was my error too and still is today. Rock for me back then was about beat and content not quality.
          Black Sabbath as well. I think Sabbath is way above cream but I do get the future Suoer stars of cream. Also
          Eric Clapton is like a PAUL McCarthy morning many times
          a fav of Clapton is a double live album at ALBERT hall.
          It's a great set of old and newer.
          I hope I am making sense and not off topic
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

The Beatles are in a class by themselves. Cream was great but a flash in the pan. I recall my first semester at college in Boulder, the fall of 1967 - "Sunshine of Your Love" seemed to play nonstop from the jukebox in the Sink bar where you could drink 3.2 beer at 18.

A good friend of mine who grew up in the Bay Area here was about 16 at the time and was at Winterland when Cream recorded the live second LP from "Wheels of Fire".
            Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

CSN and CSN&Y
              Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• mkuller
                mkuller commented
                Editing a comment
                Blind Faith!

Time and place. Clapton got that feedback driven sound out of a Les Paul (or SG, whatever) and they were in the thick of the hard psych scene. There's a lot to love about Cream, musically. I just think the comparisons are misplaced- they aren't The Beatles and didn't purport to be-- you know, to Clapton's credit, he paid Skip James 10 grand for the right to use "I'm So Glad"- James was in desperate straits -- he was in the hospital when re-discovered by the blues revivalists. Cream were also a jam band- the records apparently don't show what they were really capable of live. Unfortunately, they were gone before I was ever able to go hear them. (The tone Clapton got was like riding lightening but sweet). Bruce's voice was gorgeous. Baker- well, he was/is what he is (that documentary about him captures him in full flourish).

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                "Clapton is God." 😇

I cherish both Cream and the Beatles but they are totally different animals......
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• rbbert
                rbbert commented
                Editing a comment
                And this is key IMHO. The Beatles were all about pushing pop music to its limits; Cream were about instrumental virtuosity and trying to show that improvised rock could be the musical equal of improvised jazz.

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly!

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                right, the Beatles were about concise songs, whereas Cream was about instrumental jams.

I was lucky enough to see both Cream and the JHE while in high school
              Tascam BR-20
              Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head and custom repro amp
              Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
              Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
              MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
              Pass Labs INT60
              Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
              REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
              Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio cables
              Core Power Equi=Power 1800 Mk3
              Adona rack; Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Working...
              X