Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Best Prog Rock Albums of the '70s

Know won't sit well with some here!

Pink Floyd were one of the biggest bands on the planet when they cut Wish You Were Here in early 1975. The Dark Side of the Moon turned the band into a stadium rock act, but their thoughts kept going back to Syd Barrett. He started the group and wrote all their early songs. They owed their tremendous success to the guy, but nobody had seem him in years. They all agreed their next album should pay tribute to their founder. The album starts and ends with the nine-part epic "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," which looks back at a time when Barrett "shone like the sun." The title track is another tribute to a lost friend, while the album's other two songs ("Have a Cigar," "Welcome to the Machine") are biting attacks on the music industry. The album is a masterpiece, and it marked the last time that Pink Floyd truly worked together as a band. By the time they cut Animals two years later, Roger Waters had taken over. They continued to make great music for a few more years, but things were never the same. 
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Since when was Pink Floyd prog? And how does any list of top prog albums of the 70's not include King Crimson's "Lark's Tongue in Aspic" or "Red"?

Comment

PINK FLOYD is a Psychedelic/Space Rock / Progressive Rock artist from United Kingdom. This page includes PINK FLOYD's : biography, official website, pictures, videos from YouTube, MP3 (free download, stream), related forum topics, news, tour dates and events, live eBay auctions, online shopping sites, detailled reviews and ratings (top albums) and the full discography of albums: studios, live, boxset/compilations, singles/EPs/fan club/promo releases on CD, vinyl / lp or cassette and videos released on Blu-ray, DVD or VHS
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The Pulse tour & cd is one of my favorites. I was bummed when the LED light on my cd stopped pulsing . Has anyone successfully replaced the battery without butchering the box?

I also have The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon on cd, but need to add Wish you were Here at some stage. Though other than the (expensive) hybrid SACD, there are no audiophile RBCD's in current production which is a bummer. You'd have to look somewhere like Discogs to source the 24kt gold 20 bit collectors edition.
        Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

Uh boy....
          PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
          www.lasercd.com
          www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, ASR Basis Exclusiv, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Modified Mac Mini with Red Wine Audio Battery Power Supply, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

"Prog" seems to be a term that is misused more after the fact to cover a wide range of material that probably wasn't "prog rock" at the time and in retrospect, isn't either. But, I'm not sure how to define it accurately: sure, those formal, long pieces that followed a classical structure, and used early synths or Mellotron, like ELP's first album, easily fit. But even within what's considered "Prog," there are all these sub genres that get spun out-- jazzy rock; proto-metal; psych-folk. I never really considered Tull a "prog" band, but Ian Anderson did at the time of "Stand Up" though he said the term got expanded to cover all kinds of material that wasn't progressive rock.
            Ken Golden got me into "deep prog"--obscure stuff, mixing it up with all kinds of other influences- all the Italian stuff, the material on the Neon label (Olav Wyper's attempt to recreate Vertigo Swirl's approach after he left Philips and moved to RCA). Apart from bands like ELP and YES, which were very mainstream and did follow that classical formalism, it is often easier for me to use more specific descriptions than simply relying on "prog" as a catch-all. It is too broad.
            In the Court seems to be one of the UR albums- is it even mentioned in that list? Not obscure. I guess b/c it was 1969, it is excluded by definition. But ELP's first album was 1970 if I recall, and that certainly fits.
            My interest in this stuff overlapped with my exploration of the post-psych period mainly in the UK, where the artists felt free to explore the boundaries and go beyond the conventions- some great music resulted.

Comment

Rush and Pink Floyd are considered prog? Three Pink Floyd albums on the top 10? Progish, maybe.
              Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Well, whether I agree with it or not, at least it's a list containing nothing I need to go buy. :-)
                Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 for SACD / Bricasti M1 DAC for Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - SCA Vesuvius II Enhanced Power Cords - Custom Furutech Interconnects/speaker cables - VPI 16.5 RCM - Assorted Shun Mook magic

Comment

I think Pink Floyd was viewed as mainstream R&R back then, not progressive. Or maybe a ton of English R&R from the 70's was progressive! i.e lengthy, complex arrangement songs. Obscure lyrics. Classical music influence. Supertramp would be on that list. Even Led Zeppelin.
                  Adcom GFA535L Modified, GDA700 DAC. McCormack Micro Line Drive. Windows 10> JRiver 21 server. Mirage M7si monitors. AT LP120> Denon 103r> Emotiva XPS-1. AT Clamp/Technics Rubber Mats. LP Gear Ultimate HS, AT HS10 HS. Denon DTR2000G DAT. Stax SR-5's. Transparent Music Link/Musicwave bi-wire.

Comment

It's a list we would expect from Rolling Stone. They never liked nor understood progressive rock in the first place. At least they got Selling England By The Pound on the list. No King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, or any Canterbury bands shows they still don't get it.
                    Steve Lefkowicz
                    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I consider both Pink Floyd and Rush to be prog, but I agree that any list of the top 10 70's prog albums that doesn't have King Crimson in it is a total joke.
                      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                      VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Working...
                      X