Greatest Fillmore Live Recordings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Fillmore Live Recordings

There were roughly 200 albums recorded at the Fillmore (West and East). It wasn't easy but we happily choose 10 that really stand out for us. Who's #1?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I’m honestly surprised one of these wasn’t on the list:

Click image for larger version  Name:	11889469?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	79038
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LadiesGentlemen.png
Views:	1
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	79039
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• rbbert
      rbbert commented
      Editing a comment
      2-11-69, not so much.

• Boltman92124
      Boltman92124 commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe Skull and Roses was also recorded at Fillmore East and West. Miles Davis warmed up on one of those shows.(4/10/70 Fillmore West).

No Janis ?

Comment

Gimme mo ! ...

Comment

Fillmore Albums - A Comprehensive List
        Check out this list of gems also:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Joci/...ehensive_list/

Comment

Name:	LUCINDA_WILLIAMS_LIVE+@+THE+FILLMORE-413138.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	79050
          Little something for the post-60s people. Lucinda in top form at the Fillmore, and the live recording is superb. This 3-LP set from 2005 is highly recommended (by me).
          Dynavector XX-2MK2, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

• rbbert
            rbbert commented
            Editing a comment
            The Fillmores (East and West) closed in 1971

• Lap23
            Lap23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree. Great artist, audiophile recording but not surprised left off list. Unfortunately out-of-print.

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
          I’m honestly surprised one of these wasn’t on the list:

Click image for larger version Name:	11889469?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	79038

Name:	LadiesGentlemen.png
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	79039
          Or this one:

Name:	LiveDead.jpg
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	79052
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Lyra Etna SL, Ortofon Anna, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• rbbert
            rbbert commented
            Editing a comment
            How are those amps (water-cooled)?

• dminches
            dminches commented
            Editing a comment
            A very nice step up from the Ayre MX-Rs.

• Boltman92124
            Boltman92124 commented
            Editing a comment
            Live Dead also recorded at Avalon Ballroom/Fillmore 1968. There are some excellent soundboard recordings from those shows. For the most part, they played the same songlist every show. (with a few exceptions of course).

Overall, except for the fairly obvious first choice, 2 poorly thought-out lists, unless the idea was to go "against the grain"

Comment

Excellent Myles and others. I guess I’ll be checking out tidal for some of these. Some I never heard of.
            Never like Jefferson or the dead 💀 but don’t hold that against me.

Comment

Fillmore: The Last Days - the box set included 3 - lps, 1 - 7" & poster. Maybe not the 'greatest' but surely a great snapshot in closing.

Comment

That Aretha Franklin Fillmore album is one of her best.
                Anthony
                Analog: VPI CLASSIC 3/Ortofon A95>ASR Basis Exclusive>>
                Digital: AURENDER N10>CARY 306 SACD PRO>>
                ===> Cary SLP-05> Bryston 28B-SST2>>MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES

Comment

Originally posted by asindc View Post
                  That Aretha Franklin Fillmore album is one of her best.
                  Thanks for the reminder - I’m going to play this today

Name:	0690213D-E12B-4891-863F-66C3785B1698.jpeg
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	82682

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                  VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                  SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                  AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

some how I ended up with an awesome sounding -5- reel set of 15 ips 1/4" from the work parts of 'The Allman Brothers, Live at the Filmore East'. it did have something to do with a bit of cash. it includes an Epic to-die-for 32 minute version of 'Mountain Jam' done at the Filmore East but on 'Eat a Peach'. you will never hear this iconic recording anywhere near this good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fil.png Views:	1 Size:	185.8 KB ID:	82690

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I heard one of the reels at RMAF last year. Amazing dynamics. It’s on my to buy list.

• DetroitVinylRob
                      DetroitVinylRob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I find the Classic Records vinyl of this incredible performance to be one of my fav’s. Much better resolution of lower frequencies. Have the pink Capricorn pressing but it doesn’t resolve as well. I can only imagine how explosive the tape must be... Simply remarkable album. So Mike, you must have the complete two day recorded performance?

• Mike Lavigne
                      Mike Lavigne commented
                      Editing a comment
                      this 5 reel set was assembled from the work parts by a friend who is a professional tape restorer and mixing engineer. there are spots with some additional 'parts' in familiar tracks. in particular there is a harmonica solo after Duane's solo on 'Stormy Monday' that is not on any pressing i've ever heard. it is the same performance as the record, but that part is now added. it would have been interesting to have heard the original discussion on removing that solo. my friend mentioned there were some other minor 'discoveries' in the mastering sessions.....now included in these reels. 'Stormy Monday' has been a fav of mine forever, so that addition really jumps out to me.

and like I say; there is a 32 minute version of 'Mountain Jam' to die for. obviously it would not have fit on any record side. it is glorious to hear.

but it's not the complete two day performances that I know of.
                  Working...
                  X