The Great Julian Bream Passes at 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Julian Bream Passes at 87

The virtuoso musician performed globally during his heyday, and was renowned for his masterclasses.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I feel a bit foolish for not knowing this artist's work.

Comment

I was exposed to the music of the lute by Bream's recordings in the '60's. Probably the best classical guitarist after Segovia. He recorded for RCA during the golden era and his great recording of the Malcolm Arnold Guitar Concerto paired with the Giuliani Guitar Concerto RCA LSC-2487 was a TAS Superdisc. It was recorded by Decca for RCA, engineered in stereo by the great Arthur Lilley. He also has an early Decca recording accompanying tenor Peter Pears from 1958 - Decca SXL-2191.

One thing I noticed in collecting records by Bream is that although he recorded well into the dynagroove era for RCA, his recordings seemed to all or almost all non-dynagroove. In addition to the Arnold Guitar Concertos, Decca also recorded several of his other RCA recordings through 1963. Two of the Decca engineered albums were released as beautiful Soria edition albums, The Golden Age of Lute Music (RCA LDS-2560 recorded in 1960) and An Evening of Elizabethan Lute Songs (RCA LDS-2656 recorded in 1962).

Very sorry that I never got to hear Bream live.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
        I was exposed to the music of the lute by Bream's recordings in the '60's. Probably the best classical guitarist after Segovia. He recorded for RCA during the golden era and his great recording of the Malcolm Arnold Guitar Concerto paired with the Giuliani Guitar Concerto RCA LSC-2487 was a TAS Superdisc. It was recorded by Decca for RCA, engineered in stereo by the great Arthur Lilley. He also has an early Decca recording accompanying tenor Peter Pears from 1958 - Decca SXL-2191.

One thing I noticed in collecting records by Bream is that although he recorded well into the dynagroove era for RCA, his recordings seemed to all or almost all non-dynagroove. In addition to the Arnold Guitar Concertos, Decca also recorded several of his other RCA recordings through 1963. Two of the Decca engineered albums were released as beautiful Soria edition albums, The Golden Age of Lute Music (RCA LDS-2560 recorded in 1960) and An Evening of Elizabethan Lute Songs (RCA LDS-2656 recorded in 1962).

Larry
        Chad recently reissued LSC 2487.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...m_Vinyl_Record

Just to go off topic for a moment, I love lute music! There’s nothing like putting on a recording of lute music on a lazy Sunday afternoon and relaxing to the music.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I notified a guitar playing forum friend of the news and he sent me a couple of Youtube videos to listen to.

Great stuff, on my list to collect now.

Comment

A great loss; will play some of his CDs
            Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC & Yggy2 Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

“What do I think of digital recording?’’ he once mused at a cocktail party in New York. “Well, it’s all right. But those old thorn needles, now, that was a sound.”
              It could be argued that he, even more than Andrés Segovia, established the guitar’s credibility as a serious solo instrument.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

Larry
                Bream did more than 40 recordings for RCA according to The NY Times article.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Bream did more than 40 recordings for RCA according to The NY Times article.
                  I checked my RCA vinyl database and it looks like I have 22 of his RCA recordings. Larry
                  Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                  Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                  Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                  Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                  Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                  Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Bream finesses his art for Stravinsky
                    https://youtu.be/t4f8fej9Sqo

Comment

Working...
                    X