Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Angel Lp 36241 :

Great Music, Playing, and Sound.

Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• One of my favorite versions.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge;

Comment

• Superb playing and sound.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge;

Comment

• Originally posted by allenh View Post
          Went to Lincoln Center last night with some friends. Heard Daphnis et Chloe and Mozart's Piano Concerto #25. Listening to some of the topics of discussion from last night.

On CD (thought I had a vinyl copy somewhere).

Decca original.

another Decca original.
          The Daphnis and Chloe was just reissued by Acoustic Sounds. Haven’t played my copy yet.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
          -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            the Munch Daphnis is very atmospheric you really get a great sense of the venue and the music is up my alley. Im not a ballet watcher but I love the music. one of my most played RCAs from this period.

• I couldn't find a better image, and it's too much trouble to take a picture and transfer it, so deal with it! Jean Guillou plays three works by Messiaen and one of his own, "Sinfonietta." The latter is disappointingly lightweight compared to his other works that I've heard.

I bought that LP and this one at the California Audio Show yesterday. I've read nothing but rave reviews about both the playing and sound--it's often touted as one of the finest piano recordings ever made. I wouldn't got that far, but it's enjoyable. Due to the 45 rpm side length limitations, the Liszt Sonata is divided into two sides.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            maybe one of the finest piano recordings, but I agree not the best on all counts. The Japanese RCA 45rpm direct-to-disc of Beethoven's appassionata on a Bösendorfer is hard to beat.

I never heard Jean Guillou's Messiaen recordings, ill check it out. The stuff he recorded for Dorian back in the day was reference quality through and through.

• HIP purists would faint dead away after/while hearing this! Massive amounts of rubato, exaggerated dynamics, unusual tempi--you name it. In other words, it has a lot of personality! Great sound, too.

Comment

• Stunning sound and excellent playing on this Blu-ray audio disc. (It also offers videos of the artists performing--and three different mixes!)

Comment

• Sublimely tasteful playing and beautifully recorded.

Comment

• Listening on my new A80 with bridge. Very good music and sound

Comment

• There's an Acura commercial on TV now that has a Rolling Stones tune in it called, 'She's A Rainbow', from "Their Satanic Majesties Request".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtDOo6a8gaM

Very cool tune always liked it, I even have it on the original vinyl album that had the holographic psychedelic image, bought it when the album first came out.

The album sounds pretty terrible, no bass, thin sounding.

However was able to get an old safety master copy of the album, wow! just WOW....
                  How did they screw up the sound, the tape is amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC6563.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	96878

Comment

• Myles, If you can find your Munch Daphnis et Chloe RCA-1893 original - if it is nm condition, you could have a Michelin star meal with the proceeds. On the other hand, you may have the Chesky reissue. I recently got a package of the recent RCA reissues from Chad, including the 1893 - I am in the process of cleaning the records. Hopefully will get a chance to hear it soon. Many moons ago I bought a remaindered copy of 1893 from EJ Korvette, IIRC. $1.98 or something like that. The problem was that it had a long narrow scratch on one side. I still sold it for $50 in the midst of the Living Stereo craze.

For the Guillou, echoing Rob's comments, try the Giuillou Pictures at an Exhibition on Dorian CD. Make sure you either have your subwoofers turned off, or anything loose in your listening room nailed down.

Geovar, where did you get the Haydn Quartet tape? Is it a two reeler or on 1 mil tape? The album is too long for a 2500' reel of regular thickness tape. The Weller Q did all the Op33 quartets on two records. These quartets inspired Mozart to write his finest string quartets, a set of six that he dedicated to Haydn. I have the original Decca vinyl and the London 7.5ips 1/4 track stereo issue (it is in a two reel box). The Weller Q was one of three string quartets that came out of the string sections of the Vienna Philharmonic in those days. Their leader, Walter Weller was the youngest concertmaster of the VPO ever appointed, at age 20. He later went on to have a long career as a conductor recording mostly for Decca. Should be a great tape from Decca's golden era. Gordon Parry did the engineering.

Larry
                    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                      Myles, If you can find your Munch Daphnis et Chloe RCA-1893 original - if it is nm condition, you could have a Michelin star meal with the proceeds. On the other hand, you may have the Chesky reissue. I recently got a package of the recent RCA reissues from Chad, including the 1893 - I am in the process of cleaning the records. Hopefully will get a chance to hear it soon. Many moons ago I bought a remaindered copy of 1893 from EJ Korvette, IIRC. $1.98 or something like that. The problem was that it had a long narrow scratch on one side. I still sold it for $50 in the midst of the Living Stereo craze.

For the Guillou, echoing Rob's comments, try the Giuillou Pictures at an Exhibition on Dorian CD. Make sure you either have your subwoofers turned off, or anything loose in your listening room nailed down.

Geovar, where did you get the Haydn Quartet tape? Is it a two reeler or on 1 mil tape? The album is too long for a 2500' reel of regular thickness tape. The Weller Q did all the Op33 quartets on two records. These quartets inspired Mozart to write his finest string quartets, a set of six that he dedicated to Haydn. I have the original Decca vinyl and the London 7.5ips 1/4 track stereo issue (it is in a two reel box). The Weller Q was one of three string quartets that came out of the string sections of the Vienna Philharmonic in those days. Their leader, Walter Weller was the youngest concertmaster of the VPO ever appointed, at age 20. He later went on to have a long career as a conductor recording mostly for Decca. Should be a great tape from Decca's golden era. Gordon Parry did the engineering.

Larry
                      Hi Larry
                      The Haydn Quartet are two "pancake" reels and dubbed from a master(??) tape from a "friend" He gave me a list of Decca titles starting from SXL 2001 to 69xx.Rumors are saying that he got tapes from "East Europe" Broadcasting Stations. I must admit that most of what I have from him are of high quality sound. I hope to have,for the weekend, the 2 Master tapes that Jonathan sent me and in this moment are in Athens Custom's office.

Comment

• Originally posted by geovar View Post

Hi Larry
                        The Haydn Quartet are two "pancake" reels and dubbed from a master(??) tape from a "friend" He gave me a list of Decca titles starting from SXL 2001 to 69xx.Rumors are saying that he got tapes from "East Europe" Broadcasting Stations. I must admit that most of what I have from him are of high quality sound. I hope to have,for the weekend, the 2 Master tapes that Jonathan sent me and in this moment are in Athens Custom's office.
                        Thanks Geovar,
                        Looks like your friend has a treasure trove. In the old days companies would send out "radio reels", I have seen a few of them which I have made dubs. AFAIK they were copies of running masters or safety masters that the radio stations would received from the labels to play (instead of playing demo copies of the records). I've only seen pop/rock albums as "radio" reels. A collection of those Decca SXL reels would be a fantastic collection. I know that many of the original Decca master tapes are badly worn from use and the "radio" reels of those might be the best versions existing today.
                        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                          X