Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Angel Lp 36241 :

Great Music, Playing, and Sound.

Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• One of my favorite versions.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Audeze LCD-XC headphones; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge; Musical Surroundings Nova II phono stage

Comment

• Superb playing and sound.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Audeze LCD-XC headphones; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge; Musical Surroundings Nova II phono stage

Comment

• Originally posted by allenh View Post
          Went to Lincoln Center last night with some friends. Heard Daphnis et Chloe and Mozart's Piano Concerto #25. Listening to some of the topics of discussion from last night.

On CD (thought I had a vinyl copy somewhere).

Decca original.

another Decca original.
          The Daphnis and Chloe was just reissued by Acoustic Sounds. Haven’t played my copy yet.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            the Munch Daphnis is very atmospheric you really get a great sense of the venue and the music is up my alley. Im not a ballet watcher but I love the music. one of my most played RCAs from this period.

• I couldn't find a better image, and it's too much trouble to take a picture and transfer it, so deal with it! Jean Guillou plays three works by Messiaen and one of his own, "Sinfonietta." The latter is disappointingly lightweight compared to his other works that I've heard.

I bought that LP and this one at the California Audio Show yesterday. I've read nothing but rave reviews about both the playing and sound--it's often touted as one of the finest piano recordings ever made. I wouldn't got that far, but it's enjoyable. Due to the 45 rpm side length limitations, the Liszt Sonata is divided into two sides.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            maybe one of the finest piano recordings, but I agree not the best on all counts. The Japanese RCA 45rpm direct-to-disc of Beethoven's appassionata on a Bösendorfer is hard to beat.

I never heard Jean Guillou's Messiaen recordings, ill check it out. The stuff he recorded for Dorian back in the day was reference quality through and through.

• HIP purists would faint dead away after/while hearing this! Massive amounts of rubato, exaggerated dynamics, unusual tempi--you name it. In other words, it has a lot of personality! Great sound, too.

Comment

• Stunning sound and excellent playing on this Blu-ray audio disc. (It also offers videos of the artists performing--and three different mixes!)

Comment

• Sublimely tasteful playing and beautifully recorded.

Comment

Working...
              X