X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcmusic
    Premier Club Member
    • Feb 2016

All Time Best Album

What is Classical's version of Jazz's (Kind of Blue) and Rock's (Dark Side of The Moon)? Looking for what Classical listeners all have???
  • MylesBAstor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jcmusic
    What is Classical's version of Jazz's (Kind of Blue) and Rock's (Dark Side of The Moon)? Looking for what Classical listeners all have???
    While I would vote KOB, for rock it would be for me The Beatles Sgt. Pepper.

The biggest classical? I''ll throw these out.

Gould's Goldberg Variations
    Solti's Ring Cycle
    Kleiber and VPO: Beethoven's Symphony #5 and 7
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 440 and 1000 Nextgen mono amps
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Mutech Hayabusa,
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna, Audience FrontRow; Audience FrontRow, Genesis Advanced Technologies , Goldmund and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.3+ platforms.

Comment

• JackD201
      Premier Club Member
      • Jan 2016

By KOB and DSOTM do you mean these as must haves or must have demo/reference tracks? If the latter, my go to's are

Le fille mal gardee (Decca London)
      Richter Lizt Piano No2 (Philips)
      Witches Brew (Clarity 45 single sided)

Comment

• jcmusic
        Premier Club Member
        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by MylesBAstor

While I would vote KOB, for rock it would be for me The Beatles Sgt. Pepper.

The biggest classical? I''ll throw these out.

Gould's Goldberg Variations
        Solti's Ring Cycle
        Kleiber and VPO: Beethoven's Symphony #5 and 7
        Myles,
        I was just using DSOTM as an example. The point is I know next to nothing about Classical Music and want to get one or two albums to use as a reference...

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          Administrator
          • Jan 2016

OK Jack posted some audiophile favorites with great performances that are a good place to start. I posted what music lovers and critics would list though the sound on the Ring Cycle produced and engineered by Culshaw and Haddy is exceptional. The recording of what is just referred to as Solti's Cycle was an extraordinary undertaking and unprecedented event back then. Wait until you hear the anvil strike!

Of what's available today, any of Chad's current RCA reissues are good or the ORG Decca or Mercury reissues. (not quite the original but worth having.)

Of the RCAs I'd recommend starting with Lt. Kije (definitely turn the record over and listen to Stravinsky's Song of the Nightingale--as it is better than Kije--and that's saying something), Pines of Rome, The Reiner Sound, Scheherazade or Pictures at an Exhibition. Or any of the Heifitz reissues such as the Bruch Scottish Fantasies. You can't go wrong with any of them. Or check out the ORG though wish the strings were better. Something like the reissue of the Mercury Prokofiev Love for Three Oranges, Brahms PC#1, Espana or Peer Gynt are good places to start. The Peer Gynt is light and very fun music. (A $500+ album used.)

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Assorted cables including Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna, Audience FrontRow; Audience FrontRow, Genesis Advanced Technologies , Goldmund and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.3+ platforms.

Comment

• regnaD kciN
            Premier Club Member
            • Feb 2016

For classically-minded audiophiles, surely Reiner's Scheherazade is that genre's DSOTM!

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep.
          • jcmusic
            Premier Club Member
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by regnaD kciN
            For classically-minded audiophiles, surely Reiner's Scheherazade is that genre's DSOTM!
            This one arrived yesterday a good cleaning and I will take it for a spin later today!!!

Comment

• Andy
              Premier Club Member
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by MylesBAstor

.... Of the RCAs I'd recommend starting with Lt. Kije (definitely turn the record over and listen to Stravinsky's Song of the Nightingale--as it is better than Kije--and that's saying something), Pines of Rome, The Reiner Sound, Scheherazade or Pictures at an Exhibition. .....

+1 for Pictures at an Exhibition.
              I would add Beethoven 9th - I have a variety of copies, and taken together, give me a great sense of a system
              and... Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 Oberösterreichisches Jugendsinfonieorchester (Artist), Anton Bruckner (Composer), Remy Ballot (Conductor) Because of dynamic range, I find that if I can listen all the way through without having to adjust volume and there's no harshness, "I got something".

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                Premier Club Member
                • Feb 2016

What's the best interpretation of Vivaldi's Four Seasons?
                Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• Rob
                  Premier Club Member
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl

"best" will be debated forever, my go to is Neville Marriner cond St Martin-in-The-Fields on Argo or Decca

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                    Johnny Vinyl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I suppose that's true.....are these difficult to find?

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it shouldnt be, its a popular piece that every body bought because they thought they should have it

• Johnny Vinyl
                    Johnny Vinyl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool! I'll have a look next time I'm out and about at the vinyl shops.
                • JCOConnell
                  Premier Club Member
                  • Jan 2016

how about Walter's Beethoven 6 sym?
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Andy
                    Premier Club Member
                    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Rob

"best" will be debated forever, my go to is Neville Marriner cond St Martin-in-The-Fields on Argo or Decca
                    I just heard this past week for the very first time: Zubin Mehta; Israel Philharmonic; with Itzhak Perlman; Isaac Stern; Shlomo Mintz and Pinchas Zukerman all on Violin.;
                    Deutsche Grammophon label.
                    I think it just became my all time favorite for "Four Seasons" !

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                      Premier Club Member
                      • Feb 2016

I really ought to make more of an effort to listen to classical music as I quite like it. I used to listen to classical every Sunday morning while having my coffee and reading the Sunday paper. I was in an apartment then and my system was in the living/dining room. I found it relaxing and most enjoyable. Unfortunately, now my system is downstairs and its just not the same.
                      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Rob
                        My second edition of the Penguin Guide circa '77 (of course only IP recordings are listed) gives the Marriner a coveted rosette. "The Academy of St. Martin's gives a magical performance of Vivaldi's four most frequently heard concertos, with an element of fantasy that makes the music sound utterly new. The continuo, for example (played beautifully by Simon Preston) uses a wide variety of tone colour, and for the slow movement of "Winter" with its pizzicato accompaniment under a rich violin arioso, Preston switches to the organ and avoids confusion of texture."

Some other three star performances that come in for nice mentions are the EMI ASD 3293 with Perlman on violon, the Phillips Universo (mid-priced line) recording with Szerying and the von Karajan/Berlin PO with Michael Schwalbe on violin on DGG.

Comment

• Billy Shears
                          Premier Club Member
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl
                          For me; Richter, Recomposed.....unleash the hate :-)

Comment

Working...