No announcement yet.

Deutche Grammaphone LPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the new DG re-issues of older recordings, such as the Karajan Mahler 5th, derive from the actual analog masters or from hi-res digital copies?
    DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 105 Blu-ray player; Audeze LCD-XC headphones; VPI Scout 1.1 turntable/Ortofon 2m Black cartridge

Comment

The two DG titles I really like are box sets...my favorite Bach 6 Sonatas and Partitas Szeryng #139270/72 and Beethoven Works for Violoncello #2709 018 (3LP) Fournier
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by TubeMan View Post
        Do the new DG re-issues of older recordings, such as the Karajan Mahler 5th, derive from the actual analog masters or from hi-res digital copies?
        Good question.

In the case of the Karajan Mahler 5th re-issued (again) last May(?) its hard to say. This was recorded in 1974 or '75???. When did DG start their digital hi-jinks aka "Numerique" - 1980's ?? So there could be an analog master.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mahler 5 - Karajan.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	67799

There's DG re-issues of older recordings vs reissues of older DG recordings. Speakers Corner reissues of Bartók Piano Concertos 1-3 were made from DGG master tapes. Nowadays, too many retailers and manufacturers seem to not say the source of their reissues. The way I figure it, those manufacturers making copies from master tapes are proud of that fact and will tell you - if the ad copy doesn't brag about it, there may be a reason. For example the Fone issuance of Mahler 2 with Noseda brags "Pure Analogue Recording and Cutting." You'd think that if the tapes are available and useable DG would in fact use them - but given the way German autos have gone, it may be too much to hope. Still, that doesn't mean mean the recording is not worth owning.

Acoustic Sounds lacks at telling us info about records, unless they make them. Just looking now, I see Elusive Disc says of the Karajan Mahler 5th: "• Mastered from original sources" - so whether that was master tape or some other tape, maybe there is a chance it has some analog in its veins. Do you have it?

Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
          Acoustic Sounds lacks at telling us info about records, unless they make them. Just looking now, I see Elusive Disc says of the Karajan Mahler 5th: "• Mastered from original sources" - so whether that was master tape or some other tape, maybe there is a chance it has some analog in its veins. Do you have it?
          Yes, and it sounds quite good. I've read that even though the cover has a sticker that proudly proclaims "Mastered from original sources" doesn't necessarily mean that the analog master tape (or more likely an analog safety copy) drove the cutting head.
          DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 105 Blu-ray player; Audeze LCD-XC headphones; VPI Scout 1.1 turntable/Ortofon 2m Black cartridge

Comment

Working...
          X