Johanna Martzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johanna Martzy

I don't have any of her records. The one's I have seen are quite expensive. Please school me on this Hungarian violinist....record recommendations ?
    Christian
    System Gear

Yes, they have been expensive. I don't have any either. She covered many of the mainline violin concertos: Bach, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schubert, Franck, Ravel, etc. (Ok, maybe those last two aren't mainline.) .

Coup d'Archet had a very nice 10 disc mono set of her VC's on EMI; it sold out quickly but copies are on ebay. That set did not have the Sibelius. The link goes to an RG comparo of those with the pricey Electric Recording Co. Martzy reissues.

Fwiw, if you want a woman playing the Sibelius VC but canna take Johanna out, go for Ida Haendel.
    Last edited by tima; 01-06-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tima for that info.

Christian- I don't have the Martzys, but another record to explore --in the same vein as a desirable early LP-- is a Period Records copy of Starker playing the solo cello piece by Kodaly. First pressings are dear, but a second pressing would probably be fine. These don't command the money of the Martzy originals but sound of Starker, unaccompanied, during what was probably the height of his power--he only died a few years ago--is striking. (A lot of the reissues are bodge jobs, and since I think he recorded this piece numerous times, I don't know if there is a substitute for the early recordings). BTW, the EMIs that were mentioned in the other thread include some great work by Jacquelyn Du Pre-- another brilliant cellist and well worth owning. Now, I know the violin is not the same as the cello, but....

Comment

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Bill,

I'm hot on Starker's trail... Thanks for the recommendations.

• Beaur
      Beaur commented
      Editing a comment
      I will second Bill's recommendation of the Du Pre recordings. I have several, but her recording of the Elgar cello concerto is breathtaking and the original mono release is spectacular. Also for some reason, they are inexpensive, as in I have been able to afford multiple copies and give a few to friends!

Here's Roy Gregory's take; http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/martzy.htm
    Turntable: - 1. Fairchild 750/OMA slate plinth
    2. Analog Engineering AE-2008 MinusK support.
    Tonearm: 1. Schroder Custom
    2. Schick 12"
    3. Abis SA-1
    Cartridge: Miyajima Kansui and Premium BE Mono
    PhonoPre: AprilSound LR, EMIA Strain Gauge, EMIA silver SUT
    CD: Wadia 860x
    Server: Innuos Zen Mini Mk3
    DAC: Computer Audio Design 1543 Mk2
    Preamp: Bent Audio TAP-X w silver autoformers
    Amplifier: AprilSound SET50 monoblocks
    Speaker: Pioneer PAX-30C

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that was pretty harsh. I don't use a mono cartridge and I think it sounds great.

Focusing on the Martzy reissues by Coup d'Archet, I have the EMI box as well as the earlier Coup releases of Martzy done from radio broadcasts (7 albums). Coup's owner, Glenn Armstrong is a Martzy fanatic. I've dealt with Glenn since the mid '90's when he sold used classical records from the UK at reasonable prices. I bought the Coup albums when they first came out. They weren't cheap - something like $40 each, IIRC. You can occasionally find a few non EMI Martzy recordings on the used market - I have a couple - one Schubert Sonatina on the bargain label Mace, and the other on DG. There is a bit of a cult following of Martzy who was much under appreciated during her time (I think all her albums are pre stereo). Collectors particularly have sought out female violinists from that era. Besides Martzy there are Erica Morini, Michelle Auer, Ida Haendel (although she was recording well into the stereo era and I even saw her playing the Brahms Concerto with Neville Marriner conducting the ASMF a decade ago in London), and my favorite, Ginette Neveu, who unfortunately tragically died in a plane crash at the age of 30 in 1949.

Armstrong has done a very nice job with his Martzy collections.

I have a different take than Roy Gregory has of the Electric Recording Company's Martzy Bach Sonatas and Partitas recordings. I have only heard a test pressing of one of the Partitas, so it may not be representative. I was able to listen to three recordings of the Martzy album at one sitting. They were an original pressing (worth $1500 or more), the Coup d'Archet version and the ERC test pressing. The session was in London at Dave Parson's place. Dave is one of the two principals of ERC and to my mind the best vinyl dealer in the UK for rare records. I have bought from him for many years, and about 8 or so years ago he told me about this new project he was embarking on and introduced me to his partner Pete Hutchinson. We went over to Pete's studio where there was all this vintage record making equipment in pieces. He also had one of the Martzy original master tapes from EMI. They told me of their plans to reassemble this equipment and make new pressings of the best and most rare EMI classical vinyl recordings. Each year I visited London, Dave would give me a progress report, until 2010 or 2011 when they had their first test pressings available. I coincidentally had received my Martzy EMI box from Coup d'Archet shipped to my London address, and took the box over to Dave's where he had the test pressing and an original album (at that point he had one complete set of the original Bach albums!) . Together with my Coup version, we set about playing all three. Bottom line, I thought that the ERC version was the best sounding, with both the Coup and original versions trailing. The tonal balances were different for all three. I think probably because of differences in EQ. Particularly the original EMI is almost certainly not RIAA. Please note, we did not listen to the Bach Chaconne, where Gregory makes his most negative comments. Of course, ERC has a pricing model which is completely different from anyone else. 300GBP per record (maybe more now that the GBP has plummeted). I've been trying for several years to get them to release their albums on R2R tape, where 300-400GBP for a 2 reel tape is about the current market. I don't own any of the ERC records. I'll be back in May in London and will probably see Dave. He sent me an encouraging note about potential tape releases. I'm pretty sure that ERC has sold out of its Martzy Bach albums, many sales going to Asian collectors.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Larry. Very helpful.

• Beaur
      Beaur commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry, Can you ask Glenn if he has any of the EMI boxes in his basement.!! I missed out but a couple of days on getting the box when they still had some! I too think differently than RG, but I got to hear the ERC versions when I visited Pete a few years ago. Thought they were wonderful. I remember Pete telling me that a couple of collectors offered to buy the entire run of the LPs, crazy as that sounds!

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      This may sound very "entitled" in the social media sense, but I don't have an issue with a 300 GBP reissue of a rare record if it is properly done. Chasing some of the better Vertigos at 4 figures which "play with crackles" makes me wish for really well done remasters from analog. The original Martzy records on EMI are way more expensive. But, i'd have to love the performance to shell out....

My absolutely favorite mono album is Ginette Neveu's Brahms Violin Concerto (with Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt conducting his North German Radio Orchestra in Hamburg). This was a radio broadcast done in 1948 (not her earlier EMI studio recording). The pressing I have is from the Italian label STIL and it is quite amazing - sounding like a fresh modern recording. Neveu had written that she had found new expressive power (or words to that effect) and the Brahms is an indication of that new direction. She died, tragically, in a plane crash a year after this performance. You can hear her on several you tube versions. Look for the ones from 1948. Just listened to the beginning of the one on youtube - sonically not at the level of my vinyl copy (there are at least three different issues of this Hamburg performance, the STIL is the best to my ear.). (BTW, this recording is not in the EMI compilation "Complete Recorded Legacy of Ginette Neveu").

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      That YouTube sound is grainy!

Acoustic sounds has the box set http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/72...Vinyl_Box_Sets
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
    Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
    Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
    Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
      How is the sound given how old the original recordings were ? I realize they will be mono. Will they be satisfying mono sound ?
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post

How is the sound given how old the original recordings were ? I realize they will be mono. Will they be satisfying mono sound ?
        I have no idea. I've never heard them. I just happen to see that they were available there.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

I pulled out the set just now. I had ripped all my Coup d'Archet records earlier with my Miyajima Zero cartridge earlier, so I played part of a couple of the albums from the box. Nice overall sound - with a full mono sound. It definitely does not sound archaic.

BTW, although there are 10 discs in the box, it is not quite accurate. There are 8 albums and Coup decided to spread two of them over 3 sides. So although there are 10 discs, two of them have music on only one side. I sort of remember paying around $400 for the box a few years ago, when it first came out. So I don't think Chad is being terribly greedy if this is a new set. I have seen that the Coup d'Archet records can get pretty pricey on ebay.

Larry

Last edited by astrotoy; 01-07-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            $429 sealed on eBay ... at least earlier today.

• rockitman
            rockitman commented
            Editing a comment
            Watching that one. I have bought a lot of Mercs off that guy as of late...don kim

• Beaur
            Beaur commented
            Editing a comment
            Considering my recent box set buying binge I can't ford to even look at that auction!

If you want the truly exotic try to find Ginette Neveu's recording of the Sibelius VC in exc condition. HMV ALP 1479 M. Another female violinist who died too young.

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
            If you want the truly exotic try to find Ginette Neveu's recording of the Sibelius VC in exc condition. HMV ALP 1479 M. Another female violinist who died too young.
            Yes, she was another great artist who died too young. The Sibelius, fortunately is in the EMI box RLS739 "Recorded Legacy - Ginette Neveu - reissues of her original EMI's. - Not stratospheric. Another is Camilla Wicks whose Sibelius can get very pricey. She ended her career teaching at the SF Conservatory, near to us.

My wife's piano teacher at Smith College, Lory Wallfisch (and her husband violist Ernst Wallfisch) knew many of these women. They escaped from post war Romania helped by Yehudi Menuhin. They were friends with many of these great artists including Erica Morini, Ginette Neveu, Johanna Martzy, Clara Haskil, who was also Romanian but somewhat older, and Dina Lipatti who shared a piano teacher in Romania with Lory. I got a chance to talk to Lory at some length about some of these wonderful artists.

Ginette was quite amazing. At the age of 16 she entered the first Wieniawski Competition - where the odds on favorite was the 26 year old David Oistrakh. To everyone's surprise, Neveu beat Oistrakh to win the competition. A side note - at the same competition Ida Haendel, then 7 years old, was awarded 7th place!

Larry

Comment

I won the Coup d'Archet box for $430.00 sealed. Seems like a fair deal.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Bravo. I agree, for what it is, that price is, uh, reasonable. I'd be interested to learn what you think of it.

• rockitman
                rockitman commented
                Editing a comment
                ^^^indeed I will.

I won the Coup d'Archet box for $430.00 sealed. Seems like a fair deal.
              one of the reviews said it sounded better than the original and the ERC.
              Last edited by JCOConnell; 01-11-2017, 04:38 AM.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

one of the reviews said it sounded better than the original and the ERC.
                I have been getting so many classical records lately, I still haven't had a chance to listen to the martzy box set. Soon I hope. Will report back.
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

Working...
                X