Barber's Adagio for Strings on Vinyl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barber's Adagio for Strings on Vinyl

Hey guys, interested in your recommendations for this piece on vinyl. My wife and I love this piece (listening to two versions on CD now), but I don't have a vinyl version of this. Curious what people would recommend for this on vinyl.

I have two versions of this on CD. This, which I prefer tonally (warmer, smoother), albeit veiled:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4673.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	48545

vs. this, which sounded like higher resolution, better staging, but sounded grainy and somewhat grating (though some recommended this as the definitive version?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	R-2442351-1412999679-9872.jpeg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	48546

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

(btw, the NYPhil is playing this piece next year and my wife and I are planning to attend. Last time we saw this at Avery Fisher, my wife was brought to tears. Hearing it live is a must!)

thx
    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

My Barber collection doesn't run very deep, in fact I think this is the only Barber Adagio I have and the sonics are excellent, I couldn't tell you if its the definitive reading. I got the reco off some other 'philes list.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      My Barber collection doesn't run very deep, in fact I think this is the only Barber Adagio I have and the sonics are excellent, I couldn't tell you if its the definitive reading. I got the reco off some other 'philes list.
      Allen, I would second Rob's choice. It is the arrangement for string orchestra. However, the original is the middle movement of Barber's String Quartet. If you want a version of the string quartet, I would highly recommend a download - the Cypress Quartet's American Album. They recently disbanded after 20 years together.

Pearl and I were invited by their engineer to attend the recording session where they did this piece at Skywalker Ranch back in 2011. The album, which also includes the Dvorak "American" string quartet, and a couple other pieces, besides the Barber, received some fine critical reviews. Mark Willsher, the engineer of the album recorded it in high resolution. He was one of my consultants for my ripping project and taught me how to use my software and hardware, which is the same as what he used for the recording at Skywalker (George Lucas's studio next to his home) in Marin County north of SF. Mark is also the husband of the first violinist, Cecily Ward, who was also the producer of the album.

It can be purchased as a CD

http://cypressquartet.com/2013/11/th...-album-av2304/

or Downloads Now has it available as a download in 24/96 (you can buy the Adagio movement alone for $3.00).

http://cypressquartet.downloadsnow.n...american-album

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
      Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Thanks, Rob and Larry. I'll see if I can get a copy of the Argo pressing.

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          anything your system will do to bring the significant other to tears (of joy) is a good thing. makes it that much easier to get the next upgrade approved

• allenh
          allenh commented
          Editing a comment

I can't recommend what to get but I can recommend what NOT to. Avoid the Platoon Soundtrack. Adagio for Strings comes with explosions and people dying! LOL! Seriously!

Comment

I have it on the soundtrack for Platoon. Sonics are a bit on the thin side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Platoon.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	48604
          Find a Various - Platoon (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack And Songs From The Era) first pressing or reissue. Complete your Various collection. Shop Vinyl and CDs.

Comment

Thanks guys, will avoid that soundtrack. Too bad, good movie, and good use of the piece, too. Doesn't it come in the beginning of the movie? Haven't seen it in a while, so forget...

Comment

• Per Sundell
              Per Sundell commented
              Editing a comment
              I don´t recall exactly but I think it is towards the end when Willem Dafoes character is killed.
              But I could be wrong.

There is a Telarc LP - working from memory here - with Slatkin and probably the St. Louis Symphony doing the Barber Adagio for Strings, and pieces from ... Vaughn Williams, Eric Satie, Faure and others. All music in a similar vein, certainly V-W's Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis is - the wife may like that as well. I've got it somewhere. Will try to play and let you know. I also have the Schippers in your first post on LP. That's pretty good.

Most of what Barber wrote sounds very little like his Adagio. Try his School for Scandal - a short piece but very cool.

Speaking of cool short pieces, try Stravinsky's Dumbarton Oaks. Sorry - off on a tangent.
            Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Ξtron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Working...
            X