Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oistrakh Beethoven Violin Concerto No. 1 (SAX 2315)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oistrakh Beethoven Violin Concerto No. 1 (SAX 2315)

In trying to find a near mint copy of this record, I was able to assemble three versions, one representing each of the three SAX labels (silver/light blue, magic notes and black postage square with white notes). Based on prior experience, I expected some variation in the sound of the three; however, what was surprising was the degree of difference. The latest of the three (black postage stamp) was by far the worst (much like later Mercury issues), exhibiting very little three dimensionality or tonal color. The magic note second issue was markedly better in all respects. By far the best of the three was the original blue/silver label which was spectacularly dimensional with a deep stage and well focused images and a warm/very rich tonal balance. This version was also the noisiest. Oistrakh's mastery of the piece and virtuoso playing were evident in all three. Although I did not play it for comparison last night, I remember the Testament re-issue to be sonically close to the "magic note" issue but not quite up to the original issue.
    Rockport Sirius turntable, Lyra Atlas SL cartridge, Audio Note M9 SE Phono stage, Audio Note M10 (Signature) linestage, EMM Labs TX2/DA2 digital, Audio Note Balanced Kegon amps, EMM Labs MTRX amps, Acapella Triolons, Jorma Prime and Odin 2 cables, Stage 3 Kraken power cords, HB Marble Powerslave, Finite Elemente Pagode Reference stands and Cerabases, Halcyonics active isolation bases, HRS Equipment stand, Stillpoints Ultra 6 footers, Furitech cable isolators and plugs, Loricraft and Audiodesk vinyl cleaners, Yamaha CT7000 Tuner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	52926 I had a NM visual copy of this record...Blue/Silver. Cost me $700.00. I returned it as the record surface noise was too much to bear for that price. A great recording/performance yes. I have given up my quest for it however and I will live with a good angel or testament reissue. Here the current price distribution from popsike.com
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

• fcrowder
      fcrowder commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem with buying on line is that you never really can rely on the surface ratings. In particular a recording that visually specs out at NM can often be disappointing when play graded. I should have commented that I have a second silver/turquoise copy that has an annoying swishing in the left channel. I do sometimes wonder what a sealed copy of the early SAX's would sound like. I suspect that it would not be perfectly quiet.

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting about the swooshing sound in the left channel. That is the same thing my copy suffered from. It was just too distracting for me to feel good about the $700 I paid. I have a feeling that swoosh may be on all the copies. I use eBay exclusively. If I look to acquire an expensive gem, I make sure the seller offers returns. I have had no issue with returns back to the UK other than the inconvenience and expense of sending the record back.

Originally posted by fcrowder View Post
    In trying to find a near mint copy of this record, I was able to assemble three versions, one representing each of the three SAX labels (silver/light blue, magic notes and black postage square with white notes). Based on prior experience, I expected some variation in the sound of the three; however, what was surprising was the degree of difference. The latest of the three (black postage stamp) was by far the worst (much like later Mercury issues), exhibiting very little three dimensionality or tonal color. The magic note second issue was markedly better in all respects. By far the best of the three was the original blue/silver label which was spectacularly dimensional with a deep stage and well focused images and a warm/very rich tonal balance. This version was also the noisiest. Oistrakh's mastery of the piece and virtuoso playing were evident in all three. Although I did not play it for comparison last night, I remember the Testament re-issue to be sonically close to the "magic note" issue but not quite up to the original issue.
    I don't have an original. I do have three versions. The Testament reissue, an EMI version in EMI SLS5004 a five record collection of Oistrakh's concerto recordings (including a few electronic stereo versions of his mono recordings) and the DSD256 that recently Bob Witrak released the album copied from a 15ips 2 track tape. It is available in various formats. He copied it on his Merging Technologies Hapi System at DSD256, but you can also buy it in lower res DSD and DXD and lower res PCM.

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com...estra-pure-dsd

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I have to say my $20 NM- Angel copy sounds pretty decent with a very quiet record surface. Maybe ERC will do a proper valve signal chain reissue at some point....no swoosh !
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

• fcrowder
        fcrowder commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like the sonics of the Testament re-issue. While lacking the magic of the turquoise/silver SAX issue, it is in my opinion comparable to the "magic notes" second issue and much cheaper. Perhaps ERC can do better. I did hear their Kogan/Beethoven Violin Concerto No. 1 and it was spectacular.

• rockitman
        rockitman commented
        Editing a comment
        I am going to get the testament reissue. It is such a great performance. Thanks for the recommendation.

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Columbia 33cx mono of this performance will sound better
    Working...
    X