15 Classical Concerts in 21 Days in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Classical Concerts in 21 Days in London

We just returned from our annual sojourn to London and environs. This time we did 15 concerts (we did 22 concerts two years ago!) during our 3 week stay. I've written about them in three blogs which are posted in the six month old Zero Distortion Blog which I do with Kedar. Many of you have read Kedar's musings about equipment that he has heard on his travels in Europe and around the world, visiting some of the finest audio systems. My blogs are mainly about classical music, mostly vinyl recommendations from my collection. On this trip we were fortunately to hear five of the greatest piano concerti, the last three Betthoven Concerti, and the two Brahms concerti. We also heard some of the great pianists playing the concerti and in solo recital. Two additional highllights were two trips to the Glyndebourne Festival, wearing black tie, to attend two operas there.

http://zero-distortion.org/music-notes/

We did one non classical music event. The V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) is doing a major exhibition of Pink Floyd, called "Their Mortal Remains" through October, which is a retrospective of all their recordings, with many video clips of interviews with the remaining members. Quite fascinating. The music is done quite well with Sennheiser wireless headphones that switch between the different areas as you move through the exhibit. The exhibit itself is very well done, by Stufish Entertainment Architects, who do major exhibitions in addition to designing buildings around the world. Turns out our nephew in law (married to Pearl's niece) is a senior architect with Stufish.

Hope you enjoy.

Larry
    Last edited by astrotoy; 06-17-2017, 09:33 AM.
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Larry, good to hear you had such a good experience, and that you got to visit Glyndebourne, my home area I know Kedar, he certainly kept you well fuelled musically! I will check out the PF @ the V&A, sounds interesting and Dave Gilmour is a local here and occasionally seen about, a real gent.

Would you tell us more about the London concerts you got to and where they were?
    https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
      Larry, good to hear you had such a good experience, and that you got to visit Glyndebourne, my home area I know Kedar, he certainly kept you well fuelled musically! I will check out the PF @ the V&A, sounds interesting and Dave Gilmour is a local here and occasionally seen about, a real gent.

Would you tell us more about the London concerts you got to and where they were?

Thanks, Paul. Glyndebourne is such a beautiful place. You are fortunately to live around there. The only concern we had was whether the Southern Rail would be on strike. Fortunately they weren't.

You can read all the details of the concerts on my blogs. Just click on the link to zero distortion on my post. The three blogs are at the top of the page.

Kedar met me for one of the concerts - the LSO with MTT and Yuja Wang playing Brahms Piano Concerto 2 and the Nielsen Symphony 5.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
      X