Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does The LA Philharmonic Go From Here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Does The LA Philharmonic Go From Here?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/15/a...cur&smvar=wknd
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

We live close enough and should hear some of their concerts...I'm told they're quite marvelous!
    Vbr,

Sam

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      Rush tickets are the ticket, usually half price. I'm not a subscriber but a close friend is and he gives us his tix from time to time. DH is a great venue and acoustically, among the best in NA.

• c1ferrari
      c1ferrari commented
      Editing a comment
      We live in SD County...uncertain if rush tix would work for us for the LA Phil. With the SD Symphony, I'll peruse their website to check if any Grand Tier Center tix become available as the performance approaches, but prices are non-discounted.

Interesting. I never hear about the LA orchestra. Do they ever record?
    Magico M-Project, CAT JL7s, Pass passive buffer pre, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/Black Beauty/Atlas SL,CH Precision P1, dCS Vivaldi, KS Elation ICs & SCs

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      some very well known and respected recordings with the LA Phil at Royce Hall with Zubin Metha and Lorin Maazel, albeit 30+ years ago.
      the Michael tilson Thomas gershwin is legendary. Erich Leinsdorf wagner records are well known, they also recorded D2D with sheffield lab. Salonen recorded a number of records w/ the LA phil before Dudamel took the helm. there were guest conductors on some records with Previn, Dutoit, Bernstein and Rattle among others

• tima
      tima commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. One the famous Decca recordings of Gustav Holst's "The Planets" was conducted by Mehta and The LA Philharmonic.

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, my post was worded poorly. I meant to say "I never hear about the LA Phil any more". I have (and love) the Holst recording.

When Gustavo Dudamel was hired as the Music Director of the LA Phil a decade ago at age 26, he was definitely the wunderkind of classical music. I think a decade later, the LA Phil made the right choice. He has continued to elevate its stature as well as his own. They/he have a contract with a major label, Deutsche Grammophon, quite rare these days for major orchestras, who have mostly had to create their own labels and do their own recording and marketing. As of a couple of years ago, the LA Phil members had the highest salaries of all major orchestras in the US, which says a lot about their finances. We've seen both Dudamel and the LA Phil (at their Walt Disney Hall) but in separate concerts. Itzhak Perlman was guest conducting the LA Phil when we saw them, and Dudamel was conducting his fabulous Orquestra Sinfonia Simon Bolivar, now no longer a youth orchestra, but still with young people, that Dudamel began conducting when he was still a teenager.

BTW, Zubin Mehta was also 26 when he became the MD of the LA Phil, back in 1962. However, the circumstances were quite different. George Solti had been named the music director designate while he finished up his contract with the Frankfurt Opera. The LA Phil Board, under Dorothy Chandler, appointed Mehta as the deputy MD, without consulting with Solti. Solti, incensed by the effrontary of the Board, promptly resigned before even starting. The Board then named Mehta as MD, where he stayed 16 years in LA.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mch NADAC, Roon, HQPlayer, Oppo95
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

A friend and I talked about this the other day, but most (all?) Dudamel recordings for DG, AFAIK, are *NOT* with the LA Phil. So I believe DG has signed Dudamel, *NOT* the orchestra.
      Disclosure:
      Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
      Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
      [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

• astrotoy
        astrotoy commented
        Editing a comment
        That could well be. Dudamel is a much bigger name than the LAPO. The recording companies have hated the contracts that the major US orchestras have for recording, making it very, very expensive to record in the US. As a result most of the major orchestras have their own labels and most of the recordings are made from live concert recordings where the orchestra members don't get any extra pay for the sessions, and only make money from the royalties when the recordings sell. This is also becoming common in Europe. In the old days under Karajan, people say that in many years the Berlin Philharmonic members would make more money from their recording contract (with DGG) than from the concert performance contract.

Larry

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
      BTW, Zubin Mehta was also 26 when he became the MD of the LA Phil, back in 1962. However, the circumstances were quite different. George Solti had been named the music director designate while he finished up his contract with the Frankfurt Opera. The LA Phil Board, under Dorothy Chandler, appointed Mehta as the deputy MD, without consulting with Solti. Solti, incensed by the effrontary of the Board, promptly resigned before even starting. The Board then named Mehta as MD, where he stayed 16 years in LA.
      Talk about a missed opportunity!

Comment

Working...
      X