No announcement yet.

Chamber Music Society (Lincoln Center)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chamber Music Society (Lincoln Center)

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	61388 Well today I finally saw my first classical performance...a chamber music performance in the front row dead center. Literally 10' from the musicians...similar to my current listing arrangement at home. While the best recorded chamber music comes close on my system, it just can't match the live performance seated in the sweet spot. Actually the sweet spot may be a few more rows back. In any event, this is what I saw/heard:

Venue: SPA Little Theatre, Saratoga Springs, NY (Summer Home of CMS)

Beethoven - Quartet in G major for Strings, Op 18, No. 2 - Performed by the Danish String Quartet

Grieg - Sonata in A minor for Cello and Piano - Jakob Koranyl, Cello (Looked like Janos Starker back in the day), Juho Pohjonen, Piano

Schubert - Quintet in C major for two Violins, Viola and Two Cellos, D. 956, Op. 163 - Danish Quartet and Koranyl on secpond cello.

What an experience. I have two more CMS shows in the next week and a half...In the Spirit of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky's Idol.

Christian
    System Gear

That's a great way to hear live music- small scale, rather than full symphony orchestra, so you can hear much more of the individual instruments (particularly sitting that close). I love the sound of cello in real life- what we think of as upper bass or lower mids is really like a gut punch with the draw of the bow and the resonance of the instrument- it almost goes through you.
    And piano- well, it is the rare recording that reproduces the thing anywhere close to what it sounds like in real life. The sheer weight of it and the lingering harmonic overtones.
    These organizations need all the help and support they can get-- what was the demographic of the audience? All older?

Comment

• rockitman
      rockitman commented
      Editing a comment
      I never saw so much gray hair and walkers at a concert in my life. I was the young punk there at 55...lol
      If I had to choose between large orchestral and chamber music, chamber wins. I do love the power of the orchestra though. Glad I don't have to choose.

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, well, pretty soon, some of those legacy rock band audiences are going to be sporting "walkers" too.

• tima
      tima commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, roughly two octaves below middle-C to one-and-a-half octaves above - try the first Musical Nuda album.

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	61388 Well today I finally saw my first classical performance...a chamber music performance in the front row dead center. Literally 10' from the musicians...similar to my current listing arrangement at home. While the best recorded chamber music comes close on my system, it just can't match the live performance seated in the sweet spot. Actually the sweet spot may be a few more rows back. In any event, this is what I saw/heard:

Venue: SPA Little Theatre, Saratoga Springs, NY (Summer Home of CMS)

Beethoven - Quartet in G major for Strings, Op 18, No. 2 - Performed by the Danish String Quartet

Grieg - Sonata in A minor for Cello and Piano - Jakob Koranyl, Cello (Looked like Janos Starker back in the day), Juho Pohjonen, Piano

Schubert - Quintet in C major for two Violins, Viola and Two Cellos, D. 956, Op. 163 - Danish Quartet and Koranyl on secpond cello.

What an experience. I have two more CMS shows in the next week and a half...In the Spirit of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky's Idol.
    Sounds like a fun time!

Gotta love all the summer festivals all the way up to Tanglewood (something I suggest for all. It's a beautiful spot in the Berkshires in addition to getting to hear wonderful music!).
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

that must have been wonderful concert
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
      X