Baroque style or chamber type high quality records

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baroque style or chamber type high quality records

I need some suggestions on the above style for high quality, well recorded records. Not Unobtainable. Pieces that can be found in the + or - $17 range. Thanks
    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis Interconnects.

Hi Kingrex,

My favorites for Baroque are on the Harmonia Mundi label and Archiv label. Very well recorded and very good performances. Tons available on Discogs at reasonable prices. If you want specific title/performance recommendations please let me know if you are a novice in this area or beyond that.

Chamber music spans late 18th century to current so those recordings are less label specific. Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Schumann, Beethoven, Mendelssohn are among many composers who wrote chamber music. If you want recommendations let me know.

PS I just remembered that Musical Heritage, one of the great repositories of Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque Music was actually a Reissue company that back in the 60s and 70s brought to the general public through its subscription club many recordings from Telefunken, Harmonia Mundi, and Archiv. Music schools were full of the plain white album jackets and first class pressings. Those can still be found used and they are generally quite cheap.
    Last edited by 1morerecord2clean; 01-20-2018, 09:24 PM.
    TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

If we are talking records aka vinyl, you should look for the following record labels:
      - Telefunken - Das Alte Werk
      - DHM
      - Harmonia Mundi
      - Accent
      - Astrée (though these might be expensive in the US) but the quality of the recording is top notch
      - SEON published through different record labels (Philips, RCA and ABC but the American ABC pressings are not great).

All pieces of music are recorded on period instruments with famous players from Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium.

You might want to expand from strictly chamber music to orchestral music bearing in mind that a baroque music orchestra is usually a dozen of players no more. Large scale orchestra did not exist at that time with the exeption of Corelli who had an orchestra of about 60 players (based on the archives of Cardinal Ottoboni and the payment lists of all musicians employed by him).

Some of the reference records:

- Bach - Brandenburg Concertos by Harnoncourt (Telefunken)
      - Bach - Keyboard Concertos by Leonhardt (Telefunken)
      - Bach - Goldberg Variations by Leonhardt (Telefunken)
      - Pergolesi - Stabat Mater by René Jacobs (Harmonia Mundi) - don’t look further, you won’t find any better
      - Corelli - The Concertos Grossi by La Petite Bande (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi)
      - Bach - The Well Tempered Keyboard by Leonhardt (DHM)
      - Oboe Sonatas between 1700-1750 by Dombrecht, Kuijken, Kohnen (Accent)
      - Marais - Suites for Viol by Jordi Savall (Astrée)
      - Bach - Brandenburg Concertos by Leonhardt (SEON)
      - Couperin - Les nouveaux concerts by Kuykens, Haynes, etc (SEON)

Some box sets are unfortunately more expensive but are must have :
      - Bach - Sonatas and Partitas for violin by Kuijken (DHM)
      - Bach - Suites for cello by Bylsma (SEON)

If you want to discover this period, I would recommend that you acquire the CD Boxset - SEON - Excellence in Early Music (85 CDs) which will allow you to get a very good flavour.

If you need more, just PM me.
      Last edited by dcc; 05-01-2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Todd Garfinkle did an audiophile quality LP of the Goldberg Variations that was highly sought after -Ito Ema. It went out of print, but he had it repressed. (I think the repressings were done at Chad's QRP). I think it retails for $35 bucks but if you are going for baroque....
        Say hi! to Todd. He's at MA Recordings, who make those wonderful inner sleeves.

Comment

Looks like I have some purchases to make as well. I’m trying to improve my classical collection..
          thanks for the tips..
          SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
          Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
          Amp, Luxman 507u
          Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

Thanks all. Some good suggestions. I will see if I can sort Discogs by label or composer. That would be a big help. So much classical vinyl was poorly engineered, or at least the mic's sound like one was present in the room and that is it.
            Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis Interconnects.

Comment

I particularly like the French Harmonia Mundi for the best sonics. Look for Recording Engineer Jean-Francois Pontefract. Also the Decca label L'Oiseau Lyre, particularly their DSLO Florilegium series, is devoted to ancient to baroque music. Many of their recording were engineered by my friend John Dunkerley. Decca started the series in competition with the DG Archive series. The Decca label Argo also has many early music recordings, including the early recordings of Neville Marriner and his Academy of St. Martin's in Fields (from before 1970). Argo's earliest stereo recordings have a lot of early choral music The great Kenneth Wilkinson did the engineering of many of the Argos, particularly in the '60's.

Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mch NADAC, Roon, HQPlayer, Oppo95
              Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Thanks Larry. A lot to investigate..
                Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
                  Hi Kingrex,
                  My favorites for Baroque are on the Harmonia Mundi label and Archiv label. Very well recorded and very good performances.
                  +1

Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2 (ordered); Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon ; Grounding: Tripoint & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

From tonight's listening...

I want to thank dcc for his upstream recommendations, particularly his suggested reference level recordings. I sought out and was fortunate to find two selections on his list, both from Deutsche Harmonia Mundi:

Corelli Concerto Grossi 1-4 La Petite Bande
                    Deutsche Harmonia Mundi ‎– 1C 065-99 613 Q

Here are the first four of the six parts of Corelli's Concerto Grossi. I was not that familiar with La Petite Bande other than by reputation. Now I know better. The recording is excellent. I like this better than the (McGrath engineered) Nicholas McGegan offering with the New Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra which while wonderfully performed and containing all parts 1-6, I found in an excessively resounding venue.

and

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bach Sonatas and Partitas Kuijken.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.2 KB ID:	79471
                    Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 20401.03 (Box of 3 LPs)

One thing you want from a solo violin vinyl record is quiet surfaces. I was lucky to find a mausoleum-level of quiet on all six - not a tick, not the whisper of a mark after cleaning on my diy rcm rig. I hope I can keep them that way. Til now, Grumiaux had been my reference, having his only on CD. I'm not positioned to assess Kuijken's performances other than it is a true pleasure to hear them. He of course being somewhat legendary. Marvelous. Fantastic. The set was not cheap, but among the offerings I found, it was a bargain at its graded condition (M). Thank you dcc, I raise my hand with yours to recommend these records.
                    Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

• dcc
                      dcc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad that you like the Corelli. Actually, the two LPs covering the 8 other concertos of the Opus 6 are even better. They were recorded later and somehow there is more fluidity in the interpretation. BTW Corelli is buried in the Pantheon figuring on the LP cover.

Another intepretation which I like is by Chiara Banchini and Jesper Christensen (Harmonia Mundi - only in digital) where they aimed at exactly replicating the size of the orchestra that Corelli had in Rome. It was a rather large scale orchestra with more than 60 musicians.

For the sonatas, the best interpretation you may find are by Enrico Gatti but only available in digital.

The Opus 5 sonatas got transposed in Concertos by Geminani. La Petite Bande also recorded them. The LP is available from DHM.

• tima
                      tima commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for that. I did start looking for the rest of the Corelli concertos, but figured to pause til I knew what I was getting with 1-4. I also noted they were recorded later. My tendency for now is to buy earlier recordings until I have a better handle on earlier Harmonia Mundi in general.

There is a lot of baroque (and renaissance) coming available in digital format. Small labels seem to find some success there. Some nice choral polyphony that I wish was on vinyl.

I’ve been distracted. Thanks for the reminder of this thread. Off hunting I will go.
                    Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Here is installment two from a three record Corelli set from Kuijken and his La Petite Band, just arrived from Belgium. I hate it when shipping costs more than the LP, happily this one plays mint. Thanks again dcc.

Concerti Grossi Opus 6,nbrs 5-8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corelli_LaPetiteBande_Kuijken.png
Views:	1
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	83332

Deutsche Harmonia Mundi ‎– 1C 065-99 728

In these pieces the focus shifts to and fro between small groups of instruments and the full orchestra. Within the small groups, soloists may step forward very briefly. You can find stylistic variants in Vivaldi, such as his Four Seasons. Eventually this form was succeeded by the solo concerto, what most of us know today as a concerto.
                      Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Just received my copy and cleaned up NM. Will line up instalment 2 myself shortly..

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8BD450D-2980-4FA4-B932-AE16D137FC57.png
Views:	1
Size:	593.8 KB
ID:	84094

Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Completing the Corelli trio of albums that cover his Concerti Grossi Op.6 with 9-12, this album arrived the other day. A sealed copy in the US for 9 dollars via Discogs - every once in a while fortune smiles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Corelli_Concerti-Grossi_Opus6_LaPetiteBande_Kuijken.png Views:	1 Size:	660.7 KB ID:	84653
                          Deutsche Harmonia Mundi - 1C 065-99 803. Released in 1979.

Oddly - coincidentaly (?) the Nicholas McGegan/ Philharmonia Baroque Orch Concerti Grossi 1-6 - also from Harmonia Mundi - has the same Lodovico Cardi (aka il Cigoli) marble cover, though a bit amped in saturation. Released in 1989 This is the Peter McGrath engineered version. Rather reflective venue that must have been a challenge for PM to get the clarity he did from these performances. I think I prefer the Kuijken, particularly now having all 12 from La Petite Band.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Corelli ConcertiGrossi 1-6 McGegan McGrath.jpg Views:	1 Size:	211.3 KB ID:	84654
                          Harmonia Mundi France 7014

Edit: if you're looking for a mint copy of the first in the HM Kuijken Corelli series (above) here's one.
                          And second in the series (above) here. sorry kensell, just saw these.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                            MylesBAstor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Is the Corelli digital? I think Peter McGrath did the recording???

Most HMs in the 1100 and 1200 series are digital; the 1000 series are all analog.

McKegan was back in the '90s really hot. Saw him at a couple of HM sponsored concerts. Haven't seen much of him lately. But that was also at the height of the original instruments period.

Thanks Tima I just made an offer for the second in the series you found... he also had the third as a NM which I’ve just bought...
                          Just have to find time to play and enjoy them!!
                          Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Working...
                          X