Baroque style or chamber type high quality records

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tima My last two Corelli LPs have arrived... Thanks for the tip and link
    SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
    Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
    Amp, Luxman 507u
    Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

• tima
      tima commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazi... and thanks to dcc and astrotoy too!

Glad that you like it. As my LP collection is a about one third of baroque music, I will try to make a more comprehensive list in the coming days.

Comment

OK. The weather got so bad today that I could not go for my usual 3 hours bicycle ride. So instead, I scrolled through my LP collection and hand picked some of my favorite references. Some of the below references were already mentioned in my first reply which comprised my ultimate desert island short list.

This is a purely subjective choice. With just one exception, I only retained interpretations played on period instruments. The list is sorted by chronological order i.e. year of birth of the composer as it is the way I sort my classical music (Bach, Händel and Scarlatti were all born in the same year).
      • Ciaramella Dances – On Movable Grounds – Yarlung Records YAR09261-819V. These are great dance pieces – 45 RPM also available on Tape – I have both. If you want even better, you will need to go digital and find the fantastic Luz Y Norte by The Harp Consort issued by Deutsche Harmonia Mundi
      • Barthali – Farina – Rossi and other composers, Virtuose Italienische Violinmusik des 17. Jh. (Virtuoso Violin Music from the 17th Century) – Alarius Ensemble – Teldec Das Alte Werk SAWT 9542-B. With Barthali, the violin is taking over from the viol which was reigning supreme among the string instruments
      • Denis Gaultier – La Réthorique des Dieux – Suites for Lute – Hopkinson Smith – Astrée AS6
      • Concerts à deux violes égales du Sieur de Sainte Colombe – Wieland Kuijken and Jordi Savall – Astrée AS10. Quite austere pieces for two viols by two of the best players of this instrument. The composer is the central figure of the beautiful movie « Tous les matins du monde » where Monsieur de Sainte Colombe refuses to teach Marin Marais
      • Robert de Visée – Pièces de Théorbe (Lute pieces) – Hopkinson Smith – Astrée AS38
      • Arcangello Corelli – Sonatas Op. 5 Nr 7-12 – Franz Bruggen, Gustav Leonhardt & Anner Bylsma. SEON RCA RL 30393. Some of the trio sonatas originally for violin being transcribed for block flute
      • Georg Muffat – Concerti & Suiten – La Petite Bande – BASF Harmonia Mundi 64817
      • Marin Marais – Pièces à deux violes du Premier Livre – Jordi Savall, Christophe Coin, Ton Koopman & Hopkinson Smith – Astrée AS39. Suites for viols from the First Book
      • Marin Marais – Pièces de violes du Second Livre – Jordi Savall, Anne Gallet & Hopkinson Smith – Astrée AS39. Suites for viol from the Second Book with the famous Spanish Folia
      • Marin Marais – Pièces de violes du Quatrième Livre - Suitte d’un goût étanger – Jordi Savall, Ton Koopman & Hopkinson Smith – Astrée AS13. Suites for viol from the Fourth Book. My favorite out of the three records. Note that Jordi Savall also recorded some pieces from the 3rd and 5th Books but these are only available on digital. Jordi Savall got all the rights of these recordings and they are now available in digital format from Alia Vox, Savall’s label
      • Johan Pachelbel – Hexacordium Appolinis – Suites for Harpsichord – Huguette Grémy-Chauliax – FY 074. Known for his canon, Pachelbel was mainly a composer for keyboard instruments (organ and harpsichord). The interpretation by Hugette Grémy-Chauliac (Scott Ross’ teacher BTW) is superb as well as the sound of the instrument
      • François Couperin – Les Nations – Hesperion XX – Jordi Savall. Astrée 991. Small Orchestra (9 instruments) pieces representing four nations (France, Spain, the German Empire and Piedmont)
      • François Couperin – Les Nations – Quadro Amsterdam – Telefunken 6.48009. Also a very good version with fewer instruments (six) with fantastic players (Brüggen, Leonhardt, Bylsma, Schröder, …)
      • Antonio Vivaldi – Concerti Vol. 2 – Jaap Schröder - Telefunken Das Alte Werk 6.42355. Just for the concerto Grosso Mogul which is one of the most famous pieces of Vivaldi contrary to what JV Serinus is claiming in his recent review of the 4 Seasons by Rachel Podger. JS Bach knew better than JVS and made a transcription for organ (Concerto in C major BWV 594)
      • Antonio Vivaldi - L’Estro Armonico Op. 3 – The Academy of Ancient Music – L’Oiseau Lyre BA-324. The best interpretation on LP unless you fancy digital and get the version by Rachel Podger which is even better. JS Bach loved some of these concertos so much that he made a transcription of the concerto for 4 violins into a concerto for 4 harpsichords
      • Antonio Vivaldi – Le Quattro Stagioni – La Petite Bande – SEON RCA RL 30397. One of the few versions with period instruments available on LPs (with the one from Harnoncourt) but I prefer the one by the Belgian ensemble
      • Antonio Vivaldi – Le Quattro Stagioni – Giuliano Carmignola and the Sonatori de la Gioiosa Marca – Audio Nautes Recordings. Certainly the best interpretation. The double LP 45 RPM is superb. The recording was mastered from the original master tapes at half speed by Stan Ricker. The recording was originally issued in 1994 in CD by Divox Antiqua hence I am not sure whether it is a « true » analog recording. But anyway, it is a great LP
      • Boccherini, Geminiani, Vivaldi – Italian Virtuoso Music for the Violincello – Anner Bylsma – Das Alte Werk SAWT 9548-B
      • Georg Philipp Telemann (Pieces for Oboe) – Paul Dombrecht, Wieland Kuijken & Robert Kohnen – Accent ACC 8013
      • Georg Philipp Telemann – Paris Quartets 1-6 – Quadro Amsterdam – Telefunken 6.35065
      • Domenico Scarlatti – 14 Sonate per Clavicembalo (14 Sonatas for Harpsichord) – Gustav Leonhardt – SEON RCA RL 30334. This is fair representation of some of the 555 sonatas for harpsichord composed by the Italian master. Scott Ross recorded the full opus (33 CD – recently re-issued by Erato) and he even composed a 556th one which was aired on the French radio on April Fool’s day
      • Johann Sebastian Bach – Complete Sonatas & Partitas for Transverse Flute – Frans Brüggen, Gustav Leonhardt & Anner Bylsma – SEON RCA RL 30426
      • Johann Sebastian Bach – The Well Tempered Keyboard (Book 1 and Book 2) – Gustav Leonhardt – BASF Harmonia Mundi 59 29173-1. The ultimate box set. Composed by a genious and played by a master
      • Johann Sebastian Bach – Pièces pour le lut (Pieces for Lute) I and II – Hopkinson Smith – Astrée 61 and Astrée 62. Once you put the needle down, you understand why these records are highly coveted
      • Johann Sebastian Bach - Six Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord – Sigiswald Kuijken and Gustav Leonhardt – Deutsche Harmonia Mundi HM 2.901. Fantastic double LP which can be found at a very affordable price contrary to the solo sonatas and partitas by Kuijken.
      • Johann Sebastian Bach – Orchestral Suites – Concentus Musicus Wien – Nikolaus Harnoncourt – Telefunken Das Alte Werk SAWT 9509/10 A. Good alternatives to this historic recording are the Suites by La Petite Bande (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi but from a digital recording) or by the Linde-Consort (EMI Reflex but in DMM)
      • Johann Sebastian Bach – The Concertos for 2, 3 & 4 Harpsichords – Ton Koopman – Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra – Philips 6769 075. If you don’t want to invest in the complete concertos box set by Leonhardt & Consorts (Telefunken Das Alte Werk 5 LPs), this double LP is an excellent alternative. The rythm and pace are less austere compared to Leonhardt and the sound is magnificent. If you want harpsichord with bass, this is the recording you need to acquire. Of course, you will be missing the Grand Concerto BWV 1052 but just read the next reference
      • Johann Sebastian Bach / Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach – Concerto BWV 1052 (JS Bach) and Concerto Wq 23 (CPE Bach) – Gustav Leonhardt. SEON RCA RL 30816. I find this version by Leonhardt even better than the one figuring in the complete recording he made for Telefunken Das Alte Werk. Also a great introduction to one of Bach’s son.
      • Georg Friedrich Händel – The Eight Grand Harpsichord Solo Suites – Blandine Verlet – Das Alte Werk SAWT 9623/34
      • Georg Friedrich Händel – Twelve Grand Concertos Opus 6 – The Academy of Saint Martin-in-the-Fields – Neville Marriner – Decca SXL 6369, 6370 & 6371. My only recommendation for a version not played on period instruments. Händel’s concertos are at the pinnacle with Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos and Corelli’s Concertos Grossi. Versions on period instruments are available but you will need to go digital
      • Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach – Sonates – Rondos – Fantaisies – Gustav Leonhardt – SEON Philips 6775 007. CPE Bach’s keyboard production is extraordinary as he makes the junction between the Baroque and the Classical styles
      • Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach – Hamburg Harpsichord Concertos – Bob Van Asperen – Melante ’81 - EMI Reflexe 1C 2LP 157. This double LP is a DMM recording but is worth every penny. These concertos were composed in Hamburg after CPE Bach moved from Berlin
      The references I mentioned are based on my personal records. Other references may exist. Discogs can help in that respect.

A word on warning regarding the SEON record label. In Europe, SEON records were mainly manufactured and distributed by RCA (Germany) and Philips (Holland) whilst in the US, ABC and Pro Arte were the main distributors. There is a big difference in quality between the European and American pressings. This is not US bashing here but the American pressings were of an inferior quality and sometimes a real POS. If possible get the German RCA pressings or the Dutch ones.

Some Astrée references may be found under Telefunken as there was a distribution agreement between these two labels. I would however recommend getting the original Astrée as the packaging is superb. Unfortunately, some Astrée records were sometimes warped. My record flattener has seen many Astrée records.

Some Deutsche Harmonia Mundi records were also available under the French Harmonia Mundi record label.

Finally, should you have a deep interest in Baroque Music played on period instruments, digital is the way to go. This trend started in the early Sixties with Harnoncourt and Leonhardt as the founding fathers. Most of the records mentioned in my list are from the first generation of artists who explored this new way of playing Baroque music. The second and third generations have followed and, in many aspects, they have outperformed their masters. Not forgetting that they also explored many composers that were barely played by the first generation. For most of the above mentioned references, I could give you digital alternatives that I much prefer from an interpretation perspective.
      Last edited by dcc; 05-01-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Barry
        Barry commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. Great list. Looking forward to hearing some as big harpsichord lover.

Here in Philly hasn't been great for cycling either - local club canceled almost as many rides as it held so far this year.

• tima
        tima commented
        Editing a comment
        This is amazing. Thank you very much, dcc. Your list represents your personal preferences and those are the best kind. That and the experience and the time put in is most appreciated

• DetroitVinylRob
        DetroitVinylRob commented
        Editing a comment
        dcc, I’ve never wished bad weather on anyone, but this is a truly amazing stream of consciousness and love for extraordinary performances. Thank you. This has most certainly increased the depth of my exploration...

All great suggestions through out this thread, my TT works again so about time to start looking.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis Interconnects.

Comment

My credit card is going to have a hard time!! 😲
        Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Ciaramella Dances – On Movable Grounds – Yarlung Records YAR09261-819V has been purchased... haven’t used importcds-au before, hopefully it’ll be on its way soon..
          Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
            I particularly like the French Harmonia Mundi for the best sonics. Look for Recording Engineer Jean-Francois Pontefract. Also the Decca label L'Oiseau Lyre, particularly their DSLO Florilegium series, is devoted to ancient to baroque music. Many of their recording were engineered by my friend John Dunkerley. Decca started the series in competition with the DG Archive series. The Decca label Argo also has many early music recordings, including the early recordings of Neville Marriner and his Academy of St. Martin's in Fields (from before 1970). Argo's earliest stereo recordings have a lot of early choral music The great Kenneth Wilkinson did the engineering of many of the Argos, particularly in the '60's.

Larry
            I find all three HM engineers (A. Paulin, P. Studer and J. Pontrefact) excellent. Just different. In some ways prefer Paulin's recordings that are little more closely miked. Check out your HM faves. Guarantee some are by Paulin.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by kensell21 View Post
              Ciaramella Dances – On Movable Grounds – Yarlung Records YAR09261-819V has been purchased... haven’t used importcds-au before, hopefully it’ll be on its way soon..
              I went to look this up and learned that Archiv Music is selling records - including YAR09261-819V

Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

A few Harmonia Mundis. 🍷🍻🥂🍾

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180507_233418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	87078Click image for larger version

Name:	20180507_233432.jpg
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	87079Click image for larger version

Name:	20180507_233423.jpg
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	87080
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Working...
                X