• Please recommend Mono classical LPs

Please recommend your favorite Mono classical LPs - thanks

RCA Shostakovich 1st symphony. LSO/Martinon
    LM-2322

Comment

• bonzo75
      bonzo75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Can you please state the LP label/number?

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      This is also available in stereo. I have it that way. LSC-2322. Recorded in 1957, by Decca for RCA, in Kingsway Hall. The producer for the album was Jimmy Walker. Mono engineer was James Timms, and stereo engineer was Alan Reeve. They well could be different recordings, at least the takes and edits probably were different to some degree, although taken from the same session.

Larry

Beethoven violin sonatas by Arthur Grumiaux and Clara Haskil.

Comment

• dcc
      dcc commented
      Editing a comment
      AFAIK, the original recording was in mono (Philips Minigroove). I used to have both versions but as I don’t have a mono cartridge, I gave it away and I am happy with the Philips “stereo” reissue.

• astrotoy
      astrotoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ked, even though it says Stereo, it sure sounds like mono. I just played parts of the four records - all sound mono to me. My copy is Philips 6733001. All the records say stereo. Haskil died in 1960, IIRC, right at the beginning of the stereo era, particularly for Philips which was a little late to the party. Most all of my Haskil recordings are in mono. Larry

• dcc
      dcc commented
      Editing a comment
      All my Clara Haskil records are mono.

Soundwise I recommend the mercury monos
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I found Oistrakh Beethoven violin concerto on Columbia 33cx better than a stereo version of his on am SLPX. Also liked Milstein mono on capitol

Comment

• astrotoy
        astrotoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good finds. The Columbia 33cxs can often be found pretty cheap, like the Decca LXTs. Of course the Columbia is a original and the EMI SXLP is a reissue from maybe a decade later.

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
      Soundwise I recommend the mercury monos
      Yes there are some good mono Merc’s never recorded in stereo.

Three that come to mind are

British Band Classics v.1
      Fiesta Mexicana 50166
      Bravo HiFi 50084

If you consider Flameco under classical, check out Sabiccas on Elektra. He sadly only did one stereo recording for Elecktra; the rest were mono.

Word of warning. If you are getting into monos, not only is a mono cartridge a prereq but a phono stage with adjustable EQ. Most of these were pre-RIAA and one really needs the flexibility to get the best sound you can out of these albums.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Yes, Miyajima zero. And yes on EQ

Comment

A while ago, I bought a batch of classical records, and they ended up being mostly mono... I was kinda bummed, because they were good titles, and in stereo, would've been quite valuable, so I didn't even bother playing them much, even though they were (visually) like new.

Now, with these mono threads, I picked some up to listen, and this one jumped right to the top of the heap. Amazing performance, and the sonics are quite good too!

Disclosure:
          Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
          Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
          [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Comment

EMI Jaqueline DuPre Elgar Cello Concerto. Bonus on side B is Dame Janet Baker and Elgar's Sea Pictures. The mono version is among my favorite, period.
              Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocks and LR phono, EMIA silver remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, Mono TT - AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm Miyajima Premium BE, Stereo TT - Fairchild 750 Schroder Custom BA, Miyajima Kansui, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB, Wadia 860x.

Comment

Working...
              X