Any Love for the ERC Releases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Love for the ERC Releases?

Has anyone plunked down the money for the limited edition reissues of these rare albums of outstanding performances?
    Let's first diffuse the price outrage. This reissue of Leonid Kogan's epic performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Meditation by The Electric Recording Company, limited to 300 copies, costs £300 or about $504.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I have the $35 180g Testament reissue and its "good enough" as they say
    Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I first met Pete Hutchison the principal of ERC about 6 years ago or so, when his partner Dave Parsons took me to his studio. I have been a customer of Dave's for many years and usually see him once a year on my annual sojourns to London. At that time ERC was still in the formative stages. I saw the equipment that they were going to be restoring. I took some photos, but can't find them right now. Dave is IMHO the top classical vinyl dealer in the UK. He specializes in rare records, including usually having in stock many of the originals that ERC has or is planning to do. I believe he has made (with Pete) the decisions on which albums ERC should reissue.

On subsequent trips I heard test pressings of some of their releases. The first was the famed 3 record set of Johanna Martzy's Bach solo Violin Sonatas and Partitas. The original EMI's in nice condition sold for about 4000GBP (about $6500 at that time). So the 300GBP per record price (900GBP total) was a relative bargain. Dave told me that part of their business strategy was to reissue some of the rarest and most expensive (on the used market) EMI recordings, and to do so using the most authentic methods - including the restored Lyrec tape machines, and a real letter press printing for the albums. When heard the Martzy records, Glenn Armstrong's Coup d'Archet records had recently released their reissues of the same records (along with several others). I had them sent to my London address and was able to bring those Martzys to Dave Parson's place to compare with the ERC test pressings and Dave's original copies. Comparing the three, I was most impressed by the ERC, which was to my ears superior to both the Coup d'Archet and the originals. There appeared to be differences in the EQ (at least in the high frequency curves) of the three records, where the ERC seemed most true to the RIAA curve. In any case, I didn't have the money to spend on the ERC releases. After that on a subsequent trip, I heard a test pressing of the Kogan Beethoven Violin Concerto and was similarly impressed, though we didn't have copies of the original or the Testament reissue or EMI reissues - which are quite fine.

I think that Pete and Dave are looking at a relatively small market (many Asian collectors Dave tells me) that is treating their releases as both sonic masterpieces and as collectors items in their own right.

I do have an original of the Kogan Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto as well as a copy of the Testament reissue. The original cost me a very small fraction of the current going price!

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I found the ERC photo folder. A few shots from 2010.
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
          I first met Pete Hutchison the principal of ERC about 6 years ago or so, when his partner Dave Parsons took me to his studio. I have been a customer of Dave's for many years and usually see him once a year on my annual sojourns to London. At that time ERC was still in the formative stages. I saw the equipment that they were going to be restoring. I took some photos, but can't find them right now. Dave is IMHO the top classical vinyl dealer in the UK. He specializes in rare records, including usually having in stock many of the originals that ERC has or is planning to do. I believe he has made (with Pete) the decisions on which albums ERC should reissue.

On subsequent trips I heard test pressings of some of their releases. The first was the famed 3 record set of Johanna Martzy's Bach solo Violin Sonatas and Partitas. The original EMI's in nice condition sold for about 4000GBP (about $6500 at that time). So the 300GBP per record price (900GBP total) was a relative bargain. Dave told me that part of their business strategy was to reissue some of the rarest and most expensive (on the used market) EMI recordings, and to do so using the most authentic methods - including the restored Lyrec tape machines, and a real letter press printing for the albums. When heard the Martzy records, Glenn Armstrong's Coup d'Archet records had recently released their reissues of the same records (along with several others). I had them sent to my London address and was able to bring those Martzys to Dave Parson's place to compare with the ERC test pressings and Dave's original copies. Comparing the three, I was most impressed by the ERC, which was to my ears superior to both the Coup d'Archet and the originals. There appeared to be differences in the EQ (at least in the high frequency curves) of the three records, where the ERC seemed most true to the RIAA curve. In any case, I didn't have the money to spend on the ERC releases. After that on a subsequent trip, I heard a test pressing of the Kogan Beethoven Violin Concerto and was similarly impressed, though we didn't have copies of the original or the Testament reissue or EMI reissues - which are quite fine.

I think that Pete and Dave are looking at a relatively small market (many Asian collectors Dave tells me) that is treating their releases as both sonic masterpieces and as collectors items in their own right.

I do have an original of the Kogan Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto as well as a copy of the Testament reissue. The original cost me a very small fraction of the current going price!

Larry
          Thanks Larry for the info and pics. I've only heard one of the early releases at show couple of years ago.

In some ways, comes down to the same situation as the Tape Project. Originals of many of the titles they've done run bongo bucks. Plus try to get them in good shape.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I heard one of the reissues - don't recall which one. Incredibly noisy pressing. If it was me I would have returned it. I was very unimpressed.
            PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
            www.lasercd.com
            www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              Ouch!

Originally posted by lasercd View Post
            I heard one of the reissues - don't recall which one. Incredibly noisy pressing. If it was me I would have returned it. I was very unimpressed.
            I know on one of my visits, Dave Parsons was complaining about the pressing quality they were getting. I had only heard test pressings up to that point and no actual market copies. Since then I did hear one copy that was much noisier than I would accept from a $500 record. They should all be guaranteed, especially at that price.

Larry

Comment

A mint original pressing might be out of reach, but if you are lucky/patient, and have a good mono cartridge, a 'good enough' pressing can be had for a lot less. And some of the marketing is hype. Every mastering engineer has a mastering lathe, and it's not a stretch for a mastering engineer to have a mono lathe gathering dust. Having fully-restored, period-correct equipment isn't unusual. I believe Mr Hoffman keeps such pieces for mastering. There have been very similar, not expensive, reissues, like the 10" monos released by Classic Records with tip-on jackets (which did not sound as good as an original, but try finding a mint 10" Blue Note).

Comment

Working...
              X