Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed Reviews Beginning Of van Zweden Era?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Reviews Beginning Of van Zweden Era?

Under Jaap van Zweden’s baton, the New York Philharmonic is no longer sloppy. It’s merely unmusical.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Panned would be an understatement.
    Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

The reviewer should stick to what he knows which isn’t music. Read his professional experience at the end of the review. Where do they get these guys from? Who says he knows what is musical? Stravinsky didn’t like Beethoven? Where did he read that? From a car mechanic who reviews on the side? Nevertheless I am not impressed by any current conductors I have seen and heard. NYs previous wunderkind conductor was just an appointment which was cheap and some good old fashioned nepotism. Both of his parents play or played in the orchestra.

I don’t like performance art dragged into the concert hall but I’d like to see the new piece as as performance art piece. Might be interesting. At least it is a stand alone work and unlikely Julie Taymor who has forever FU The Magic Flute at the Met where you can’t get a performance without puppets and dozens of bored children fidgeting in their $200 seats, this new work begins and ends without tainting a masterpiece.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
        The reviewer should stick to what he knows which isn’t music. Read his professional experience at the end of the review. Where do they get these guys from? Who says he knows what is musical? Stravinsky didn’t like Beethoven? Where did he read that? From a car mechanic who reviews on the side? Nevertheless I am not impressed by any current conductors I have seen and heard. NYs previous wunderkind conductor was just an appointment which was cheap and some good old fashioned nepotism. Both of his parents play or played in the orchestra.

I don’t like performance art dragged into the concert hall but I’d like to see the new piece as as performance art piece. Might be interesting. At least it is a stand alone work and unlikely Julie Taymor who has forever FU The Magic Flute at the Met where you can’t get a performance without puppets and dozens of bored children fidgeting in their $200 seats, this new work begins and ends without tainting a masterpiece.
        Sorry somehow The NY Times review didn’t get posted. Not as severe but basically in the same, disappointing vein.

At the season-opening gala concert, Mr. van Zweden made a strong statement about new music. But his approach to repertory staples remains problematic.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The New York Times seemed to be looking for something good to say the other guy blasted them with both barrels from the recording which is not like hearing it live I am glad I did not hear it live. Lets see if the can keep filling the seats .

Comment

Working...
          X