Initial Thoughts on MFSL One Step Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Thoughts on MFSL One Step Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

So I just received the MFSL One Step Texas Flood. I, of course, had to compare it with my copy from the AP 45 speed Stevie Ray box set. Both albums were cleaned and played at same volume setting. I played Love Struck Baby and Pride and Joy a couple of times each. My initial thoughts are that Stevie's voice and the guitars were more immediate sounding on the MFSL. It seemed to me that you can hear Stevie's fingering on the guitar more clearly on the MFSL. Definitely, the vinyl on the MFSL is quieter - on Pride and Joy, when the guitars stop, you clearly hear the recording venue around Stevie's voice, you do not hear that on the AP reissue. Arguably, the AP is a bit warmer and may have better bass

Sounds like I should think about ordering.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. This is what I wanted to know too. My copies are supposed to ship tomorrow so it will be nice to have them, but I've very happy with the AP 45 Box Set... I continue to queue up at the pushers door for my next fix. Resistance is futile.

Comment

I didn't mean to give the impression that the MFSL is much better. I could easily see people preferring the AP version. I'm not 100% decided yet . Need to do more listening. Would love to hear people's thoughts

Comment

I haven't been thrilled with MFSL one step LPs I purchased which is why I stopped buying them. The packaging is nice and if you don't open them you can flip some of them for multiples of what you paid for them which is a rare event in today's world.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I do agree that the results have been mixed. I think the original Santana album was excellent (probably the best version I've heard) .I did not like most of Bridge. What's Going On and Nightfly were pretty good. The Bill Evans was meh. After listening more, I think this one is a keeper

Comment

Mine will arrive Friday. This is the only title of this series so far that interested me enough to pay the toll...That said, I am anxious to read others impressions before the seal gets cracked...
              Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

So, what do people think re the SRV one step? The more I listened, the more I liked it

Comment

this should be compared to a clean original Columbia, which generally for SRV stuff sound really good.
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

By now, some of you must have listened to your copy of this album. And thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X