Rickie Lee Jones -Live June 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickie Lee Jones -Live June 2019

Having been a fan early on, and heard her at different times during her career- at the Palladium in NYC in 1982 when I think she was deep in the throes of addiction and many years later, in a glorious performance at Carnegie Hall, I wasn't sure what to expect.
    She still has great vocal power and range and performed a lot of the big songs she wrote from early albums as well as a variety of covers from a new album-- Kicks-- which just got released. One of those songs in particular-- "Cry"--which had been a hit for Johnny Ray and the Lads (and also recorded by Ray Charles, among others)- was stunning. Her band was led by percussionist and vibraphone maestro Mike Dillon from NOLA and was note perfect. The venue, a small church with great acoustics right down the road from us, is a place I'll revisit.
    Jones finishes up the American leg of this tour in the West and heads to Europe. I was glad we got a chance to hear and see her again. She seemed very happy in her own skin and was comfortable at the piano, on guitar (did a wonderful cover of "Bad Company") and singing-- a gifted songwriter who tapped into a shadowy vein of Los Angeles street life and is now in her sixth decade, having lost none of the gifts that propelled her to worldwide stardom with her debut album. Sometimes, seeing a performer decades after they broke big is a sad, disappointing affair, more a nostalgia trip than anything. This was an upbeat, lively show that revealed a writer/artist still possessed of great gifts and an accomplished performer and songwriter of considerable talent.

Bill, thanks for the review. I saw her 18 months ago and thought she was equally enjoyable.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      Having been a fan early on, and heard her at different times during her career- at the Palladium in NYC in 1982 when I think she was deep in the throes of addiction and many years later, in a glorious performance at Carnegie Hall, I wasn't sure what to expect.
      She still has great vocal power and range and performed a lot of the big songs she wrote from early albums as well as a variety of covers from a new album-- Kicks-- which just got released. One of those songs in particular-- "Cry"--which had been a hit for Johnny Ray and the Lads (and also recorded by Ray Charles, among others)- was stunning. Her band was led by percussionist and vibraphone maestro Mike Dillon from NOLA and was note perfect. The venue, a small church with great acoustics right down the road from us, is a place I'll revisit.
      Jones finishes up the American leg of this tour in the West and heads to Europe. I was glad we got a chance to hear and see her again. She seemed very happy in her own skin and was comfortable at the piano, on guitar (did a wonderful cover of "Bad Company") and singing-- a gifted songwriter who tapped into a shadowy vein of Los Angeles street life and is now in her sixth decade, having lost none of the gifts that propelled her to worldwide stardom with her debut album. Sometimes, seeing a performer decades after they broke big is a sad, disappointing affair, more a nostalgia trip than anything. This was an upbeat, lively show that revealed a writer/artist still possessed of great gifts and an accomplished performer and songwriter of considerable talent.
      So wonderful to hear that!
      Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
      Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
      Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
      Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
      Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
      Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
      Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
      Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
      CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
      Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
      Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
      Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
      Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
      Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

If she comes some what close to my area I would like to hear her live.

Comment

Live music rules! Thanks for the review of Ricki's show. I have seen her 3 times. Early 80's show, again at Northrup Auditorium after the Magazine release and kind of recently at a small venue(Dakota Jazz Club 2016). I really liked her debut album & Pirates. That being said, she was drinking pretty heavy at the time. Fortunately at that show, I was too. The Magazine show at Northrup was excellent. Great venue & performance. She had a full band and very good back-up singers. The Dakota show was very small venue(250) and intimate. Hoping she comes to my neighborhood again. Great performer!
          CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

We caught her show at the Coach House last November, she was all that. For anyone reading this in San Diego, she's playing the fair grounds this week on the 27th and then has several dates in Europe. She's even playing Glastonbury (!)
            Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Working...
            X