Have you ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever?

Have you ever heard a record for the first time on a really high end system and you are blown away by the sound and music so you buy a copy of the Lp for yourself.
    But, once you get it home and play it on your own mortal system, its not so impressive. Ive had this happen a few times.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Nah it always sounds better on my system LOL just kidding

Comment

It cuts both ways. I've heard tracks I know intimately on my system and other systems where the 'stage has discernable proportions, defined from to back depth relative to the performers, etc. Onto the mega system: pianos are twenty feet wide, 10 ft high cellos and the stage is one amorphous wavefront with blurry outlines...I experienced this more than a few times on systems north of seven figures purported to be SOTA.
      Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

Comment

Sort of. When I was a teenager, my Dad took me into an audio store, and I heard Steve Winwood’s “Arc of a Diver” on a system with the big Beveridge electrostats. I was totally blown away.

I love the album, but probably 10 versions and 35-40 years later I have never gotten the sound of that album to match the expectations set by my memory.
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• astrotoy
          astrotoy commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have a copy of the tape (15ips 2 track). I had never heard of Winwood or Arc of a Diver before recently getting the tape from one of my trading partners. Quite spectacular.

Larry

• Skylab
          Skylab commented
          Editing a comment
          Not of Arc of a Diver, it I do have a 15 IPS tape of Steve Winwood Chronicles, which is definitely great, and it has my 3 favorite songs from Arc on it.

• Don RMGI
          Don RMGI commented
          Editing a comment
          Was it at Gills Custom?

I gave up long time ago trying to figure out why some recordings sound great on one system and not another. No rhyme or reason to it seemingly.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

Working...
        X