Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you re-listen to music you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you re-listen to music you own?

I don't have a huge collection like some people here. About 1500 LPs (after about 700 were stolen years ago) and about 12,000 tracks on my server, which I admittedly don't use as often as I used to since getting my Tidal and Qobuz accounts.

I keep a smartlist in JRiver Media Center for 'tracks not played in a long time" that includes all tracks not played for more than five years. About half the collection is in that list. Sometimes I select that playlist on shuffle just to get them played and hear what I've been missing.

I also have hundreds of records that probably haven't been played in 20 years or more.

I am slowly going through and making an effort to listen to every LP in my collection at least one more time. Started five years ago and have a long way to go.

Just curious, how much of your collection goes untouched or simply simply doesn't get played? Does it matter to you?
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    --------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Steve, I have about 3,000 LPs. I listen to most of them over the course of a year. I might have enough space for another 250 but I haven’t filled that gap and I’m trying not to because it represents the finish line for purchasing records and I continue to fool myself into believing I still have room. I fill in the listening gaps with Tidal and my own CDs committed to my Bluesound server. I have given a lot of “inactive” records to Goodwill to make room for more and that has kept the ones I have “active” for listening so I don’t have a vast catalog of vinyl I don’t play.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

Were the ones you didn't listen to no longer of interest to you? I find a lot of the LPs I haven't listened to in many years very enjoyable still and am glad to revisit them. Sometimes I wonder why it took so long? I have always found it difficult to give an LP away unless I really disliked it.
      Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 02-14-2020, 12:03 AM.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      --------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
        1morerecord2clean commented
        Editing a comment
        My listening desires changed. Having a background in classical music my collection at one time was 90% classical and 10% jazz. But audio changed me. I founded myself having a late adolescence with increased interest in jazz, pop vocal, some rock, international, etc. I live in a two bedroom condo so space is limited. In order to make room for other music I had to get rid of classical records which I wasn’t listening to. Having played most of the concert hall literature in orchestras and spending a lot of time as a listener in Carnegie Hall, I found myself bored with recorded classical music. Although my early music collection has increased significantly. We have a fabulous early music series in San Diego which has spurred this for me. If I had more room, I would have kept the classical records even though I wasn’t playing them often.

I usually have a stack of 10-15 in rotation. I add or remove a few every couple of weeks. I have 100’s that I have not listened to since purchase.

Comment

Well of course some get played more than others. There are some that I haven’t played since I got them (I have a very strict rule for myself that every LP, tape, or CD I buy gets played at least twice before it gets filed and before I can play existing stuff). But I enjoy perusing my collection when deciding what to play. That said, my music collection exists only for my enjoyment and other than my play it when it first comes in rule, I am only interested in playing what appeals to me at the moment.

Cool and though provoking question!
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
          Steve Lefkowicz commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree completely with the motivation "what appeals to me at the moment." It just strikes me that sometimes I'll pull an LP off the shelf, and think "wow, I haven't listened to this since about 1985" and then will listen and love it all over again. It's one of the reasons I put some actual effort into listening to long ignored records.
          Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 02-14-2020, 12:05 AM.

• Skylab
          Skylab commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes perfect sense. All my LPs and tapes are in racks such that I can see the titles, so exploring my own collection is an almost daily occurrence 🤘🏻

• kensell21
          kensell21 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same rule. Played twice before being catalogued and placed on a shelf. And also have a few not played since purchased.

It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and only play albums that you love or in my case, getting stuck in a rut with a genre and favorite albums associated with that genre. Right now my favorite genre is older jazz recorded from the late 1950s through the early 1960s which means the albums were originally recorded on tape with a vacuum tube signal chain.

One cool thing about streaming digital via Quobuz and Tidal is the huge library of exactly the type of jazz I like and the opportunity to hear albums that I didn’t know existed. This makes it easy to keep finding new gems to listen too.

I’ve purged many LPs from my collection over the years and moving time is always an opportunity. As I’m boxing LPs to move to my new destination, I look at each one and ask myself if I will ever play it again or is it just a shelf filler. I moved to TN from IN in 2017 and I hauled a stash of LPs to the Goodwill store.

Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

thread title: How often do you re-listen to music you own?

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
          I don't have a huge collection like some people here. About 1500 LPs (after about 700 were stolen years ago) and about 12,000 tracks on my server, which I admittedly don't use as often as I used to since getting my Tidal and Qobuz accounts.

I keep a smartlist in JRiver Media Center for 'tracks not played in a long time" that includes all tracks not played for more than five years. About half the collection is in that list. Sometimes I select that playlist on shuffle just to get them played and hear what I've been missing.

I also have hundreds of records that probably haven't been played in 20 years or more.

I am slowly going through and making an effort to listen to every LP in my collection at least one more time. Started five years ago and have a long way to go.

Just curious, how much of your collection goes untouched or simply simply doesn't get played? Does it matter to you?
          This is an interesting thread topic. My gut reaction to the thread title, and before reading the opening post -- and then the replies--, I had a knee-jerk response in mind that goes somewhat like; If I only listen once to an album in my music library why did I purchase that piece in the first place? Or maybe; Good grief---why have a record collection at all if you only listen once.But it's not that simple.

I have purchased every piece of music for one reason or another but almost always it was a deliberate choice. Either it was that I knew I wanted a particular title because I already knew the source material and just wanted to own it, or perhaps it was a matter of exploration and study of a particular composer of classical music, or of a particular jazz musician, or.... like that.

And here's an analogy; why keep a book on your book shelf after you've read it? Do you intend to read that book again sometime soon? Another analogy; if we have a collection of Blu-Ray movies do we pull one particular movie out as frequently as we play a particular Lp album? The answer to that is not analogous. Music, for me is like looking at impressionistic art in that it projects a kind of mood or feeling. Movies and books require more attention and involvement and generally do not get played over and over like recorded music does. Maybe I'm just babbling on...

Ok, I confess, I have purchased several different versions of the same source material just to explore which mastering or pressing of a particular album sounds superior to the others. And within that category, some Lps of the same title get played less than others due to sound quality. I'm thinking of those YB-Parlophone Beatles albums I have. Some in mono because that's how the best masters were produced, and the stereo came later, stuff like that.

Right there is a reason to respond seriously the opening thread title.

yeah. How many copies of Abbey Road do I own? Several. Why,..... well the MOFI has a more silent background and provides better bass than the UK original. Although the French pressings in the early runs were pressed from the same masters as were the Uk pressings so a good source is the French, etc.

re: Rubber Soul; you want the YB Parlophone in mono. Same with Revolver. Far superior to the Capitol Stereo Lps. (hence the moniker; Crapitol)

Another reason to listen to the same material over and over is that music can be therapeutic. It floats our moods. It may trigger memories, but more often it triggers mood and emotion. When feeling somewhat down, or just bored, I can put on an Lp that will raise my spirits. It promotes psychological health, I am certain. Today I put on Side One of "Best of the Beach Boys" and my spirits were buoyed and on top of the water as opposed to just treading water. That was enough and I went back into my home office and got back into that project on my Graphic Work Station. How many times have I played that particular album.....? More than once. That music lifts me up.

Within my modest library there are many titles that do not get listened to as frequently as others, but everything in the collection was put there with intent to listen more than once. yet, some of it is just once in a while.

At present I estimate between 1300 - 1400 Lps in my "approved for play" list and another 200 that are either duplicates or haven't been cleaned and graded yet.

Oh, and the test records.....! Those are for setting up.

There is one 16-inch transcription disk waiting for me to purchase a 12 inch tonearm before I can listen to it. (my TD124 can play at 16 rpm which is needed for some transcription disks) I may never buy a 12 inch arm but still keep that transcription disk. A conversation piece, perhaps. Or......Hey, maybe I'm just a pack rat!

-Steve
          webmaster at The Analog Dept.
          system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

Since I upgraded my vinyl playing gear I find that I'm listening to groups of lps where some are rotated in or out after a few weeks. There's a few that have been in there for a few months such as Hoodoo Man Blues & Brubeck a la Mode. Almost every record I put on now sounds quite good as I'd gone through my entire collection last year and play graded it for performance, sq & condition. If it didn't tick all 3 boxes it went in the "no longer needed" pile. It was hard at first but quite cathartic in the end. Now I'm sitting at just under 1k lps and very happy with the scope of what's left. Almost all are NM & dead quiet.
            "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement SE (ics), Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

Music I really like, I play quite often. Like others have said, it is what strikes my fancy at the time. I have 1500+ records and over 2 TB of uncompressed digital music files. I'm sure I have music I haven't listened to in years, but I don't worry about it, someday I will probably listen to those again.

Comment

When I got back into music 5 or so years ago, i bought a crap load of albums I new as a youngster. I don't play any of them. I moved on.

I play a lot of stuff that is new to me. Someone mentioned Jerry Garcia in a post. I never listened to The Dead. I went right ro Qobus and pulled up some Dead album. When I get hooked on one, I purchase the vinyl.
                PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Yeah, I sometimes wonder about this.

I recently added a turntable and carefully building a quality collection of albums, and at the cost of these they need to be listened!

My goal is to get to 250 albums by the end of 2021 so it’s somewhat manageable.

I don’t understand the multi-thousand collections other than it’s taking decades to accumulate, and with that, if your not listening than why have them?
                  Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
                  Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
                  Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
                  Speakers: Wilson Alexias
                  Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
                  Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
                  Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Comment

Working...
                  X