X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCOConnell
    commented on 's reply
    all of the bowie ryko lps are stinkers, they tried to make them sound like CDs, what an achievement.

• Metamatic
    replied
    David Bowie - Space Oddity - 2019, 50th anniversary Tony Visconti remix

Finally picked up the 2019 Visconti remix. After the totally disappointing 2015 Bowie 69-73 remaster box set, I sort of ignored each subsequent release as they are totally against everything that Bowies early albums stood for - vibrancy, aggression of youth and dynamics, replaced bass heavy treacle with no micro dynamics. confirmed when I bought the later remaster of Low and Station to Station.

Anyway, put the 2019 Space Oddity on - WOW - this is good, still vibrant, very clear but Bowie's voice is now mixed into the centre of the soundstage for most of the the first track, not out of the right channel in the Ryko remaster. This kicks the 2015 remaster to the curb, then crushes its skull.

the new remix is very good. It is not as raw or as forward as the original mix, but it is better balanced and proves, even at 75, Visconti still has it. I now have an alternative to spin vs my Ryko release.

Leave a comment:

• Audioraven
    commented on 's reply
    DELIVERANCE and DAMNATION were meant to be released as one double album but got split in release. They are very much musical counterpoints of each other.

• 1morerecord2clean
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice. I’ve never heard of this pairing.

• 1morerecord2clean
    commented on 's reply
    Love this album.

• Slowgeezr
    commented on 's reply
    Forgot to mention that this is of course a mono recording and the sound mainly comes from the left channel, but judicious use of a balance control can right things nicely.

• Slowgeezr
    replied
    My last album for the day. This 1984 Chess Records album requires the use of my periphery ring, in order to play the first song, due to a warp. Sound quality is nice and the vinyl is very quiet, too. Musically, Sonny and Jugs were well known to play together and this is a good representation of what they sounded like together, pushing each other to play their hearts out. Recorded in 1950 &1951. Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt, "Jug & Sonny".

Leave a comment:

• Slowgeezr
    replied
    I only have a couple more Gene Ammon albums, but I like this one a lot. Actually, I like all of them a lot, so much so, it is difficult to pick a favorite. This one is In a similar vein as "Nice an' Cool", but there's nothing wrong with that! Also recorded the same way, at least in the way the instruments are staged and reverb on the sax. This album is "The Soulful Moods of Gene Ammons". 33.3rpm Analogue Productions/QRP. Oh, Gene sounds even more amazing when sipping some Amorada Tequila. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Slowgeezr
    replied
    Continuing with some more of the great Gene Ammons, this time it's, "Nice An' Cool". 33.3rpm Analogue Productions/QRP. Excellent sound and music.

Leave a comment:

• Slowgeezr
    replied
    That was so good, I'm in a Gene Ammons mood today. It's foggy and dreary outside, but warm and mellow inside. Gene Ammons, "Boss Tenor". 33.3rpm, Analogue Productions.

Leave a comment:

• Skylab
    commented on 's reply
    This is the one Opeth album that is entirely melodic progressive rock. No metal at all. Most of their other albums only had parts of songs like that, surrounded by varying levels of metal. Superb album, that’s also absolutely fabulous sounding.

• Slowgeezr
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not at all familiar with this one. How would you classify or describe the music?

• Slowgeezr
    replied
    What an incredible album! Gene Ammons and his All Stars, "Blue Gene". Analogue Productions, 45rpm.

Leave a comment:

• jazdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Love this album!

• Don RMGI
    commented on 's reply
    That album was produced by T Bone Burnett, which might explain why it a is little different Diana. i supplied all of the 2" tracking tape for it. When the studio manager called to order tape, he placed an order for 12 reels and told me T Bone was producing. I told him then that wasn't enough tape and he said they still had 14 reels in stock from his last session there, so they should be ok. I told to keep a close I on the tape usage and of course few days later he called and ordered another 12 reels.
Working...
X