Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excellent video documentary on Beethoven and secrets to his fifth symphony

https://youtu.be/cJ9Wz0ibHzc
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

While long it is worth watching to the end thanks for posting he was a force of nature

Comment

Very interesting video. Notice that Gardiner has the orchestra standing - quite unusual for Beethoven (maybe they did in Beethoven's time). Also Gardiner's theory is very interesting - definitely not the standard interpretation of the 5th. Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I’m not surprised that Gardiner takes this piece at a very fast tempo. He does so and has with everything, He’s not speaking for Beethoven. He’s speaking for himself. Maybe he thinks it adds excitement and sells recordings. Sorry I’m not a fan. Excellent group of musicians but I wouldn’t buy the interpretation as accurate to the period.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Hana ML Cartridge, Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          i would like to hear the first and fourth movt fast, the second movt slow, and the third movt medium speed.

• Miniguy
          Miniguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Matthew Guerrieri in his book, “The First Four Notes: Beethoven's Fifth and the Human Imagination”, addresses the issue of metronome marking. The metronome was an invention of Beethoven's day; he didn't have access to it when he was writing his early symphonies. But later, he came into contact with it and loved the device. "He immediately buys one and sits down and starts going back over all his old scores and putting in metronome markings," Guerrieri says. "And he picked a tempo for the Fifth Symphony that even today sounds really, astonishingly fast."
          The setting he chose was 108 beats per minute — so fast, so hard to play, Guerrieri says, that people have been theorizing for centuries about why Beethoven might have mismarked his own symphony. A broken metronome? Advancing deafness? Nobody knows.

• 1morerecord2clean
          1morerecord2clean commented
          Editing a comment
          I just went to Wikipedia and found the metronome, or some version of it and it’s use, dates back to the Greeks. In actual practice, it’s use is mostly in the practice room where many etude books written to flog players into gaining technical facility without slowing in difficult passages include metronomic markings. I have never encountered a conductor who carries a metronome to the podium. While they may have used one at home preparing the score, once they get to rehearsal they simply conduct based on what they want to happen musically. Of course rehearsal goes out the window when it’s time for the performance and the conductor is himself nervous and speeds through the first movement. Only other thing I’ll mention is what dictates andante being 72 bpm to 100 bpm? Who apportioned those metronomic markings to musical language markings? Is 120 bpm allegro? Is it molto Allegro? I don’t know the answers. I’m a player not a musicologist. Anyway, I think it’s all variable. Some conductors rush the score and some take very slow liberties. Impossible to say what any composer intended prior to recordings.
      Working...
      X