No announcement yet.

What’s The Most You’ve Paid For An LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s The Most You’ve Paid For An LP?

For me it was the TBM album Caterpillar (180 g KG remastered) for $100. (I has earlier actually missed the deadline for one at a starting price of $80 that no one bid on) Still was a steal considering the rarity and what the album normally goes for.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

I think I have paid $250 for something I cannot remember, but it was steep
    Last edited by ack; 05-23-2022, 09:01 AM.
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension + platter interface || Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i || Ortofon A90 || Modded & fully shielded Pass XP-25 || Last gen VPI SDS speed controller || Magnum Dynalab MD-90SE/105 Digital: Spectral 4000SV Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV || DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf dual xover, cabling, woofers, xformer; structural mods) || Modded REL sub Cabling: Fully shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X,90.1 || Shunyata Alpha v2 Power: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2, Venom XC and NR cords, SR-Z1 outlets, PS10, Typhon. Tweaks: Isodamp, mumetal, 3M AB5100, Dynamat, Copper foil; Vishay diodes, resistors, Mundorf coils & capacitors

Main System Link
    Second System Link

Comment

I think it was the LSC 2150 nm original, for a at that time high price of 98 $ incl postage to Denmark.
      It is one of my best sounding records, so it has high value to me, and it has been my avatar since i bought it

Comment

I paid $200 for a Gates of Dawn pressing of Porcupine Tree’s Deadwing, back before it was reissued. After that it would be a tie between the few “one-step” LPs I have.
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
        DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I paid A LOT for an original Dexter Gordon "One Flight Up" and it was worth every penny. To hear "Tanya" in all its RVG glory is priceless.

I am surprised the top dollar mentioned to far is $250.
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

On Every Street - Dire Straits - $60 for a two-disc import from Elusive Disc, which sounded really, really good. Sadly, after trying two copies, both had to go back for noisy surfaces.

"I am surprised the top dollar mentioned to far is $250."

I'm also surprised by the seemingly low top price paid here so far.

Comment

I bought Ars Musica Bach Brandenburg Concertos No.4 & 5 on Timegate label for $195.00

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                I've been on the hunt for this one, I believe its recorded by Peter McGrath. how does it sound?

How about those "Hot Stamper" LPs? If you own any of the MoFi 1 Steps, that gets you into the $100+ category.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

$125. MoFI one step or AP Hendrix. That’s my limit. $60 or so for a few used lp’s.

Comment

Probably $100.00 for a 33 1/3 RPM clear vinyl Classics Record reissue mint and sealed. There was a new 45 available at my local audio shop and it sat there forever priced at $125 maybe? Then the announcement came that Classics was closing its doors and of course it disappeared before I got it. I thought Chad would have reissued a clear version but he didn’t. Was my purchase worth $100? Mostly. You know the clear vinyl Classics were noisy pressings in their last year of operation and mine is an example. Then Chad did a black vinyl 45 reissue which stomps all over the the clear Classics 33. But of course glad I made the purchase anyway.
                  Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.
                  Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer
                  Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp
                  Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers
                  Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls
                  Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

most I spent for a single LP was thirty years ago, a 1st press copy of the Royal Ballet Gala with Ansermet, set me back it $1500. I flipped it just before Hobson announced the launch of Classic records. Over the last decade I've accumulated over a hundred records that each set me back more than a c-note.
                    Last edited by Rob; 05-23-2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      there is no guaranty of outcome, that said I've not had many regrets.

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rob, Definitely the original stereo Royal Ballet is one of the most expensive classical records. Years ago I bought a mono version of the album at Rasputin's in Berkeley for around $5. I knew the stereo was crazy expensive, but didn't realize that the mono version would become pretty expensive a few years later. I think I sold it for around $25. Right now, a Classics reissue of the Royal Ballet in its rare slip cover duplication of the original album (not the much more common gatefold version) is selling for up to $1500+ in mint, sealed condition. I bought two copies of the Classics reissue slip cover version when it was first issued (I don't remember the cost - maybe $60) and kept them sealed, buying the gatefold version to play.

Larry

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Royal Ballet is actually 2 records in a spectacularly beautiful Soria box, so only $750 per record.

$200 for ry cooder "jazz" mfsl lp mint opened.
                    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

$125 for several UHQR and MOFI one steps. More for the Beatles box sets.
                      Speakers: Daedalus Apollo 11 and Daedalus Athena v.2
                      Turntables: VPI Prime Signature with 10” Fatboy, ADS, and 3-belt pulley. Merrill-Williams REAL 101.3 with Sorane 1.2 tonearm
                      Cartridges: Soundsmith Paula II ES, Hana ML
                      Phono pre: Doshi EVO
                      Digital Sources: NAD M50.2 server/ripper, Oppo/Modwright 105
                      DAC: Lampizator Amber 3
                      Preamp: Zesto Leto Ultra
                      Amplifiers: Linear Tube Audio Ultra linear+ mono blocks
                      Power conditioning: PS Audio Power Plant 15
                      Cables: Skogrand and Wywires Platinum
                      Stand: Box Furniture
                      Accessories: Daedalus, ISOAcoustics, and Gingko isolation devices, Degritter rcm

Comment

I paid 160 GBP (about $220US) for the Milstein Prokofiev Violin Concerti record on EMI SAX 5275 (earliest label). Prices of the SAX series were still semi-rational. I checked on popsike and a copy of the record was more recently sold on ebay for $2670. The Milstein Beethoven Violin Concerto SAX2508 (earliest label) sold for $4250 (reported on popsike), but I only paid 34 GBP, so it doesn't count. I did pay $500 for a very nice condition Mofi Beatles Box, but that has a dozen records.

Larry
                        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiHorizon, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                        Music-1800R2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Rob
                          Rob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not that its a contest, it safe to say you won LOL. I find it perplexing that some will eagerly fork over tens of thousands on hardware, then cheap out on the most important part (to me and you) the music!

Rob, here is my record collection (all of it). Each stack is five boxes high. 252 boxes. About 15,000 records. Story to follow. Larry Click image for larger version  Name:	Record Collection 250 Boxes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,023.0 KB ID:	167180
                        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiHorizon, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                        Music-1800R2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• seamonster
                          seamonster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Intrigued by the piano and electronics at lower right, as well -

• astrotoy
                          astrotoy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To the right are our two grand pianos. The one most visible is our Boesendorfer 225. Our Yamaha S-400E is mostly obscured by a nearer ceiling lamp. The speaker is part of our TV system. It is one of a pair of the TAD CM-1's, which was a prototype that Andrew Jones did which became the CR-1's. There were only about a dozen pairs made, and I bought it from my dealer who was a TAD dealer back in 2010. He was moving and got rid of the demos in 2019 and sold the pair to me cheaply. Turns out the CM-1s were too expensive to manufacture, so he modified them to create the less expensive to make CR-1s. The electronics are Peter Madnick's Audio Alchemy that he took to ELAC. Again a demo set from my dealer. Larry

• adrianwu
                          adrianwu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Talking about price inflation, I bought my Boesendorfer 185 second hand the minute I had saved enough money from my first job. I had no furniture except for a futon and a couple of chairs, so the piano was the central feature of my apartment. It functioned as my writing desk and dining table as well ! After 32 years, I thought it was a good time to get a new piano. The action is kind of loose after years of Beethoven Sonatas, and I have not been able to get it shipped back to Austria for servicing due to the ivory on the keys. I went to Steinway a few weeks ago to take a look. They had a model B with some fancy natural wood finish for US$400,000. They only import Hamburg Steinways into Hong Kong due to the New York models suffering problems in the humidity. But still, 400K is a bit rich. The basic black still cost about 200K. I know Steinway is now owned by the hedge fund boss John Paulson, so it has become just a brand for the rich who wants some fancy furniture to look at. I have not visited Boesendorfer yet, but I am sure the pricing is similar. Maybe a Bechstein if the prices are more reasonable.
                      Working...
                      X