International Vinyl Pressings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Vinyl Pressings

I am interested in a French pressing of a reissue James Brown & The Fabulous Flames album: The Unbeatable 16 Hits which is on the King label from 1983. The original album was from the late 50s TRY ME and then reissued as THE UNBEATABLE 16 Hits in the early 60s in the USA. So for these reissues and maybe even for some originals on the same USA original label, do international pressings have access to the original masters or do they use copied sources? I'm wondering about the sound quality. Another one is from 1957, The Ella and Louis Armstrong LP. It was also released the same year in The Netherlands/Holland. How would an international pressing sound or maybe a later issue? In my experience, pressings from Japan and the Netherlands are fantastic. Not sure about French pressings, Spanish, Greece, Italy, etc. Any experience or knowledge of international pressings? Debating whether to get the James Brown album as it is impossible to find in good condition as an early US Pressing and if you do it will be close to $100 easy. The French pressing is on the same label and in the original mono. I'm sure the source has a major impact but not sure if they have access if the original masters were recorded in the United States.
    Last edited by Analog21; 05-29-2016, 06:52 PM.

There is no hard fast rule whether some or all French pressings are good. The French pressings I do own have been really good to excellent. If i were generalizing, pressings from 1st world countries tend to be best, 3rd world (latin america, et al) not so much, In fact many are horrible. among the hard core collectors you'd be surprised to learn the average US pressing - now this is just speaking about pressing quality - ranks below the UK, Holland, German and French pressings.This also depends on genre, when talking Classical all bets are off, US pressings are among the worst.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I have an original Marvin Gaye How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You canadian pressing that is excellent. Not sure about others, but I've read online that for Elvis Presley early pressings, USA are far superior to Canadian pressings. Not sure if that has to do with the quality of the mastering engineer, the plant or vinyl quality, lack of original masters, etc. I've always been impressed by the Holland/Netherlands pressings I have. The Harry Connick Jr pressings are far better than the US pressings.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        US pressings of Elvis may indeed be best, I don't collect oldies. Like I said, genre specific and then within my own relatively narrow range of music that I collect, I know what I said to be true. Like Johnny says, if everyone knew which pressings were **hot** we'd have it made and put guys like Tom Port outta biznizz.

If I could find the right answer on all of the questions you posed I'd be a rich man.That info would be more valuable than some insider trading stock tip. Ok, I kid, but I couldn't come up with another analogy.

MPO out of France have a pretty good rep for quality (they started in 1957) and the few that I have are quiet and well done. I have a wonderful copy of a French CSN&Y - Deja Vu that I prefer over my domestic Canadian pressing and is close to the MoFi reissue I have. I don't seek them out, but I wouldn't hesitate buying French pressings.

In recent years I've shied(?) away from Japanese pressings as I find their mastering to be a bit too tipped up for my liking. Korean pressings are close to Japanese ones.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I know there is no hard fast rule to these and are dependent on the individual record at times, but trying to gather some knowledge and make educated guesses in my vinyl purchases. When I got into this hobby, I had no idea that it is often required to buy international pressings for rarer albums. Some were never pressed in the US, especially albums in the late 80s-90s, and many are too difficult to find in the US. Your tips are great advice Johnny, though not sure how knowing which pressings are good vs will make you rich! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Analog21 View Post
          I have an original Marvin Gaye How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You canadian pressing that is excellent. Not sure about others, but I've read online that for Elvis Presley early pressings, USA are far superior to Canadian pressings. Not sure if that has to do with the quality of the mastering engineer, the plant or vinyl quality, lack of original masters, etc. I've always been impressed by the Holland/Netherlands pressings I have. The Harry Connick Jr pressings are far better than the US pressings.
          In general I find US and CAN pressings to be very close, but there certainly are many exceptions. Some are due to remastering, some due to the pressing plants used, and also the tapes they have to work with. Like you, I've always been impressed with the Dutch pressings.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
            If I could find the right answer on all of the questions you posed I'd be a rich man.That info would be more valuable than some insider trading stock tip. Ok, I kid, but I couldn't come up with another analogy.

MPO out of France have a pretty good rep for quality (they started in 1957) and the few that I have are quiet and well done. I have a wonderful copy of a French CSN&Y - Deja Vu that I prefer over my domestic Canadian pressing and is close to the MoFi reissue I have. I don't seek them out, but I wouldn't hesitate buying French pressings.

In recent years I've shied(?) away from Japanese pressings as I find their mastering to be a bit too tipped up for my liking. Korean pressings are close to Japanese ones.
            TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

What I have found with most Japanese pressings is that the midrange and treble are ok, but there is a lack of bass.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                What I have found with most Japanese pressings is that the midrange and treble are ok, but there is a lack of bass.
                Are we talking about jazz or classical here?
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Are we talking about jazz or classical here?
                  neither, pop/rock.
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

neither, pop/rock.
                    Ok I don't have any experience there. Classical was always EQ'd weirdly.
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Working...
                    X