Michael Hobson Looking to Sell Record Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Hobson Looking to Sell Record Store

Classic Records founder and current owner of Elite Distribution as well as the record store High Fidelity in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles is looking to sell the store. Hobson told this to me in person at T.H.E. Show Newport Beach this past June. I told him I'd pass this offer on to analogplanet readers. As for the price, or what the books will reveal, that will be between Hobson and anyone reading this who might be interested. Meanwhile, here's the store video posted this past March to the Analogplanet YouTube channel:
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

my interest in this store dried up when his stock of sealed OOP Classic reissues dried up (ebay was too lucrative, I guess). As a store location its hip enough but again its the rent (way too high). you cant eat lunch on that block for less than $40 and its valet parking, the street parking stinks.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      my interest in this store dried up when his stock of sealed OOP Classic reissues dried up (ebay was too lucrative, I guess). As a store location its hip enough but again its the rent (way too high). you cant eat lunch on that block for less than $40 and its valet parking, the street parking stinks.
      Got that right! I was lucky enough to buy a few of the now more expensive Classic titles when Hobson was blowing them out on TheMusic.com. Then the stash switched over to a while to the Hi Fidelity store and then all of a sudden like you said, the LPs disappeared and now they are all selling for bongo bucks on ePay. I did happen though to get a Clarity Pressing of Muddy Waters for $100 back then and a few others like the Clarity Peter Gabriel, Led Zepellin and Holly Cole for relatively reasonable prices.

I could never figure out how Chad and Hobson divided up the stock when Acoustic Sounds purchased Classic Records. Did Hobson hold out some titles? Or did Chad allow Hobson to keep some of the remaining stock. Because you can or could find many of the Clarity and other titles on the Acoustic Sounds website and picked up the Gounod Clarity release from AS for $100 a while back.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

i heard Chad bought the rights to Classic records to eliminate another competitor, it insured a new suitor couldn't restart Classic. Apparently the remaining stock stayed with Mike and wasn't part of the deal.

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          i heard Chad bought the rights to Classic records to eliminate another competitor, it insured a new suitor couldn't restart Classic. Apparently the remaining stock stayed with Mike and wasn't part of the deal.
          OK that makes sense. I always got the feeling the main reason Chad purchased Classic Records was for the record presses. He also got some of the metal work, etc. too.

Comment

We're back! Join us this Friday November 11th from 6-9pm to shop, have a drink, and check out our new shop. We have hundreds of records hitting the bins: rock, jazz, 45s and more...

The Details-
            • We are now located in Hollywood at 1027 N. Orange Dr 90038
            • We are open to the public Saturdays & Sundays 11am-7pm
            • Want to shop on a weekday? Give us a call at (323)466-9694 x28
            • Yes, we are still stocking locally-made solid wood storage bins!
            • Yes, we have a selection of restored vintage stereo gear for sale!
            • Yes, your gift certificates, store credit, and loyalty points are still valid! We got you!
            Thanks for your support! We hope to see you soon!

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              They relocated into Classic Records' old warehouse, me thinks Mike still owns it.

We're in LA this weekend, visiting the grandkids. Looks like the store is near Santa Monica Blvd and Highland. We're cross town in Cheviot Hills/Rancho Park - not sure I will have time to drop by.

I always got befuddled by Classic Records coming out with different vinyl formulations of the same RCA Living Stereo records (and others). Each one was the latest and greatest. I stopped with the original set (many of which I bought in their European versions without the shaded dog logo for $10 each at Tower) and the 45RPM versions (in some I have two different sets of the 45's - like Royal Ballet, Belafonte at Carnegie Hall and the Weavers Reunion (Vanguard). I'm thinking that there may have been 3 or 4 different 33 RPM versions - maybe the same stampers, but different vinyl formulations. Don't know, but it seems when Chad bought whatever rights he had, he also got some rights and access to the original tapes for his own AP reissues of most of these same RCA Living Stereo reissues., which are newly mastered and to my ears sound better than any of the Classic versions that I have (I think even a bit better than the Classic 45's). There are a few that were never issued by Classics and many of the British Decca engineered RCA's have not yet been issued by AP (only Witch's Brew and Faust so far.) Of course Chad is going much further by issuing 15ips 2 track tapes of several of these, with the hope that many more will come out in that format.

I'm not chasing the last or greatest formulation of vinyl that Classics did, just save my Franklins for the tape versions.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
              We're in LA this weekend, visiting the grandkids. Looks like the store is near Santa Monica Blvd and Highland. We're cross town in Cheviot Hills/Rancho Park - not sure I will have time to drop by.

I always got befuddled by Classic Records coming out with different vinyl formulations of the same RCA Living Stereo records (and others). Each one was the latest and greatest. I stopped with the original set (many of which I bought in their European versions without the shaded dog logo for $10 each at Tower) and the 45RPM versions (in some I have two different sets of the 45's - like Royal Ballet, Belafonte at Carnegie Hall and the Weavers Reunion (Vanguard). I'm thinking that there may have been 3 or 4 different 33 RPM versions - maybe the same stampers, but different vinyl formulations. Don't know, but it seems when Chad bought whatever rights he had, he also got some rights and access to the original tapes for his own AP reissues of most of these same RCA Living Stereo reissues., which are newly mastered and to my ears sound better than any of the Classic versions that I have (I think even a bit better than the Classic 45's). There are a few that were never issued by Classics and many of the British Decca engineered RCA's have not yet been issued by AP (only Witch's Brew and Faust so far.) Of course Chad is going much further by issuing 15ips 2 track tapes of several of these, with the hope that many more will come out in that format.

I'm not chasing the last or greatest formulation of vinyl that Classics did, just save my Franklins for the tape versions.

Larry
              AFAIK Chad also got Classic's old metal work, presumably its reusable. As you know RTI handled all of Classic's pressing and it was a work in progress, they experimented quite a bit mixing virgin pellets with regrind, the Clarity clear vinyl were my least favorite. I think we as consumers became the beta testers and on our dime. If you make it out there this weekend there's a good chance you'll bump into Mike and can get the straight dope from him.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                That is what I've been told.
            Working...
            X