Record Shopping in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Shopping in London?

It's been a long time since hit the shops in London but when visiting -- and back then was 3-4 times a year -- always made a beeline for Gramex in Waterloo, Harold Moores and one not listed there (is it still in business?) Nottinghill Gate Records. Roger, the proprietor of Gramex was always charming and I was at his store many years when a collection of records came in from a record critic for the London times. There was among this collection a number of single sided, reviewers press copies of several EMI classical releases. Now in 20-20 hindsight, I wish I had bought all of them. Roger always got a lot of albums in but would never ship! Harold Moore's also always had plenty of LPs around (it was just a short walk from the Tower Records at Picadilly Circus!) but was the pricey store. Nottinghill Gate also had a sizeable amount of records and were marked down a certain number of pence each week they sat there. Found some great bargains there.

Also did Reckless Records but that was back then mainly rock. Had I known then what I know now, probably would have come away with a lot more rock LPs. Oh well...

Sadly, many of the old time stores--just like in every city-- like Cheapos, etc. have fallen by the wayside.
    Discover the best shops in London to buy new and second-hand records and CDs.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

We started going to London annually almost twenty years ago. Back then there were the many stores that Myles mentioned and even a few more - all specializing in classical recordings.Now sadlly, almot all closed. Quite a few other for non-classical, with bin titles like "garage" or was it "garbage", categories I had no idea what they meant. Today, my record bin hunting is pretty much limited to Notting Hill Gate - where their once huge classical store is now just the upstairs level of their rock store - all their stores are titled with some variation of "Music Exchange". Gramex moved a few blocks away, but I haven't been there recently - the last time, it was almost all CD's. I had a similar experience to Myles at Gramex, where one day I walked in and there were classical records all over the floor. An avid collector had moved to a retirement home, and Roger had bought his entire collection - all the Decca and EMI's were 4GBP each, mostly from the'70's in reallly fine condition. Harold Moore's still exists, bought by a couple of Americans or Canadians. I went a couple of years ago, mostly used CD's, but the records were overpriced in not great condition. Everyone else has closed.

I do buy a few records through the internet at a few UK shops. I usually visit Dave Parsons, whose runs his high quality operation (classicalvinyl.com). Dave is my main source of the more rare titles (that is just about all I have on my want list of Decca and EMI's) and I pick up the records I order when I visit him. He is also one of the principals of the Electric Recording Company. I usually have any records I order from other internet shops in the UK shipped to me in London during our stay, to save on postage. Sophia Singer (spiralclassics.com) is one that I continue to order from - I visited Sophia a couple years ago in the north of England - when I was visiting retired Decca engineer Mike Mailes (whom I interviewed extensively for my Decca book) and his wife, who live a couple of towns away from Sophia. Again, most of the great internet and mail order UK classical shops are gone - Glenn Armstrong (who still runs Coup d'Archet), Jonathan Kustow, Phil Rees (RIP), Chris Orchard, and several others that I patronized for years. When we would come home from London each year, we would have several suitcases filled with records. One of the reasons I have 15K records!

Larry
    Last edited by astrotoy; 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM.
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
      We started going to London annually almost twenty years ago. Back then there were the many stores that Myles mentioned and even a few more - all specializing in classical recordings.Now sadlly, almot all closed. Quite a few other for non-classical, with bin titles like "garage" or was it "garbage", categories I had no idea what they meant. Today, my record bin hunting is pretty much limited to Notting Hill Gate - where their once huge classical store is now just the upstairs level of their rock store - all their stores are titled with some variation of "Music Exchange". Gramex moved a few blocks away, but I haven't been there recently - the last time, it was almost all CD's. I had a similar experience to Myles at Gramex, where one day I walked in and there were classical records all over the floor. An avid collector had moved to a retirement home, and Roger had bought his entire collection - all the Decca and EMI's were 4GBP each, mostly from the'70's in reallly fine condition. Harold Moore's still exists, bought by a couple of Americans or Canadians. I went a couple of years ago, mostly used CD's, but the records were overpriced in not great condition. Everyone else has closed.

I do buy a few records through the internet at a few UK shops. I usually visit Dave Parsons, whose runs his high quality operation (classicalvinyl.com). Dave is my main source of the more rare titles (that is just about all I have on my want list of Decca and EMI's) and I pick up the records I order when I visit him. He is also one of the principals of the Electric Recording Company. I usually have any records I order from other internet shops in the UK shipped to me in London during our stay, to save on postage. Sophia Singer (spiralclassics.com) is one that I continue to order from - I visited Sophia a couple years ago in the north of England - when I was visiting retired Decca engineer Mike Mailes (whom I interviewed extensively for my Decca book) and his wife, who live a couple of towns away from Sophia. Again, most of the great internet and mail order UK classical shops are gone - Glenn Armstrong (who still runs Coup d'Archet), Jonathan Kustow, Phil Rees (RIP), Chris Orchard, and several others that I patronized for years. When we would come home from London each year, we would have several suitcases filled with records. One of the reasons I have 15K records!

Larry

Years ago, my Brit audiobuddy took me to two stores in Brighton. At that time, they were shipping most of their stuff to Asia.

I found another great store in the mid-80s in Edinburgh run by an American ex-pat from Colorado. Unbelievable amount of LPs all for 3 pound each. Actually used to get some LPs by mail from the chap but that connection faded over the years.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Working...
      X