Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody out there record their own CDs from LPs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody out there record their own CDs from LPs?

I do. I record and edit at 24/88 using Goldwave on the PC and downconvert to 16/44 for CD. Each track is a Lp side. I do not attempt to break down Lp sides down into individual songs.Thus a 4 sided double album will result in a CD with 4 tracks. Sound quality of the resultant CDs is excellent. While for serious listening I will usually prefer to listen to the original analog Lp, sometimes for the sake of avoiding all those annoying side flips, I will play the CD or digital file. I also save the 24/88 master on my pc, so I have a hi rez digital file to play if desired. These files come very close to matching the originals. Another advantage of having the CD made is now I can easily play it in my car or convert its tracks to mp3 and put it in my cars music drive. Cant do that with a Lp.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

NO I find CDs to slippery to use as drink coasters so what else can you do with them.

Just Kidding

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      my in-laws hung CDs from the branches of their fruit trees to stave off pests - it worked!

I have someone who I buy the lp I get a dsd 128!in tracks frona good Ad converter they keep the lp. It works for me.
    But tidal has slowed that for me now.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

You know there is something to digitizing albums and sound. Years ago at one of the audio shows, Gavin Fish of Light Harmonics Technology was showing off their new DAC with some high rez files. I think Gavin sensed what I was thinking about the sound by the look on my face and said, let me put something on that you know. Gavin then put on a digital copy of the Super Analogue album Super Percussion and it blew away the previous digital recordings.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Myles this makes me wonder too. Is it better or is it pleasing to our minds for other reasons. For me pure dsd even new gets beat by tape transfers and I am a digital freak. No matter what I do it comes back to analog stuff.
        The new game is dsd 512 your IFI plays this. The trick is a powerful server and upsample on the fly to dsd 512
        both my dacs will be fitted to play back this chipless
        analog stuff.
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

There is also the case where you have a stone mint very expensive LP you don't want to handle/play often. The solution is to make a hi rez digital copy and enjoy that safety copy instead of the original LP. I did that for my DSOTM UHQR for example.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I never have, no. I've copied digital files onto a CD and/or a USB stick, but not vinyl. Back in the days of cassette I used to do quite a few needledrops, although rarely complete albums.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
              I never have, no. I've copied digital files onto a CD and/or a USB stick, but not vinyl. Back in the days of cassette I used to do quite a few needledrops, although rarely complete albums.
              I used to record tons of complete albums to cassette for playback in the car.

Comment

• cpp
                cpp commented
                Editing a comment
                Those were the days

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                I always recorded my own cassettes for the car. In fact I don't think I have ever bought a single prerecorded cassette in my entire life. 8 tracks, LPs, CD, BD, DVD LD yes, cassette, NO.

I did a whole bunch of LP's and R2R tapes to 192/24 digital, but not to CD. An album takes about 3GB. Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
              Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                Myles this makes me wonder too. Is it better or is it pleasing to our minds for other reasons. For me pure dsd even new gets beat by tape transfers and I am a digital freak. No matter what I do it comes back to analog stuff.
                The new game is dsd 512 your IFI plays this. The trick is a powerful server and upsample on the fly to dsd 512
                both my dacs will be fitted to play back this chipless
                I'm not sure about the pleasing but maybe more a comment on the recording quality. It wasn't so much pleasing as sounding like the LP I know. That gets back to something that I said in another thread (in part the CAF Tidal room thread and Jonathan Horwich's recordings) where to my ears, digital derived from analog sources sound better than pure digital recordings. The question being if digital is able a good job with the analog tape why can't it do the same thing with a digital master? Is it differences between ADCs that we are complaining about and not necesarily the care taken in the transfer?
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I feel your on to something best for me is analog to digital dsd
                  not pure
                  analog stuff.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                  X