Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue -- New Reissue Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue -- New Reissue Review

I have a new review of the album below up now on The Audio Beat. Click the link, read it, and let me know whether or not you think it was worth reissuing - but before you make up your mind, check out the cover VERY closely...... You'll know my thoughts when you read the review

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/music/pa...tered_sacd.htm

The review is dated 3 years ago....

I got the LP version of this a couple years ago. I liked the concept but didn't care for the execution personally. My system has changed a lot; perhaps I should re-listen.
    Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

Thanks for the link John. I was looking through my collection and can't seem to find the original or Mofi SACD versions (though I know I have them and maybe they're in storage) but I did come up with a FIM/HDCD version of the original release too. As far as I'm concerned, anything that can be done to reduce that reverb is a plus. I was never a big fan of that swimming, slathered sound. Or that distant sound of her voice.

John do you know if there's any plans to release Remastered on LP? I'd love to compare the LP versions with the tape versions I have here. Ages ago I reviewed the tape version and found it better than the LP.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/tape.htm
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I hate it when lead vocals get soaked in reverb (although I haven't heard these issues).
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
          Thanks for the link John. I was looking through my collection and can't seem to find the original or Mofi SACD versions (though I know I have them and maybe they're in storage) but I did come up with a FIM/HDCD version of the original release too. As far as I'm concerned, anything that can be done to reduce that reverb is a plus. I was never a big fan of that swimming, slathered sound. Or that distant sound of her voice.

John do you know if there's any plans to release Remastered on LP? I'd love to compare the LP versions with the tape versions I have here. Ages ago I reviewed the tape version and found it better than the LP.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/tape.htm
          Miles, I have no idea if they plan a vinyl reissue of this disc. But the SACD is superb.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            SACD doesn't do me any good.

The level of the album is sooo much lower than the CD. I didn;t think there was a real need to do this because the dynamic range of this album isn;t all that large. It's mostly pretty soft,

Comment

Working...
          X