Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beatles Blue Box

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beatles Blue Box

    Ok guys I have been doing some reading and found where some info says that the US version was released one month ealier than the UK version. If this is a fact would be fair to assume that the US box is from 1978? Would these albums be earlier ones than the UK box? I have US box #1818, I also have the UK box but have no way to date it. If anyone can help let me know?

  • #2
    You may find this page helpful: http://www.rarebeatles.com/boxsets/boxset.htm
    My understanding is that the US boxes, which were numbered (at least the first series was), contained UK pressings.
    Some boxes from other countries, e.g. Holland, contained natively pressed copies, i.e. Dutch pressings.
    Dating can be done through matrix/deadwax identification, but the easy way, to get a rough idea is simply to look at the date codes on the inners- a point that Mike Lavigne raised in a discussion we had some time ago about the Blue Box on WBF.
    The albums in the Blue Box were just assemblages of extant copies in commercial production at the time the box issued- they weren't special cuts, as far as I know. So, the "grail" for some is trying to find copies in your box that may have used metal parts from the older 'tube cut" copies- which would arguably sound closer to the earlier, original Parlophones, a little warmer.
    To answer your direct question about whether your box had earlier pressings, it could, but since these were grab bags of extant copies, you probably have to go deeper into the matrix numbers to figure out what's in there.
    Does that help?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
      You may find this page helpful: http://www.rarebeatles.com/boxsets/boxset.htm
      My understanding is that the US boxes, which were numbered (at least the first series was), contained UK pressings.
      Some boxes from other countries, e.g. Holland, contained natively pressed copies, i.e. Dutch pressings.
      Dating can be done through matrix/deadwax identification, but the easy way, to get a rough idea is simply to look at the date codes on the inners- a point that Mike Lavigne raised in a discussion we had some time ago about the Blue Box on WBF.
      The albums in the Blue Box were just assemblages of extant copies in commercial production at the time the box issued- they weren't special cuts, as far as I know. So, the "grail" for some is trying to find copies in your box that may have used metal parts from the older 'tube cut" copies- which would arguably sound closer to the earlier, original Parlophones, a little warmer.
      To answer your direct question about whether your box had earlier pressings, it could, but since these were grab bags of extant copies, you probably have to go deeper into the matrix numbers to figure out what's in there.
      Does that help?
      Hey Bill,
      Thanks for the link it helped for sure, I guess I will have to take a closer look at the matrix numbers to see what they really are...

      Comment


      • #4
        I took a quick look at a few of them, it seems that some have HTM on them and others don't. I know Harry Moss did all the Beatles except Abbey Road but, it seems that there is a mix of the LP's.Anyway both the UK and US version sound real good, I am pretty sure that my US box is from 1978 because it is number 1818. The UK box may be the same or newer, I will have to sit down and take all the records out and look at the numbers to learn what I can...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
          I took a quick look at a few of them, it seems that some have HTM on them and others don't. I know Harry Moss did all the Beatles except Abbey Road but, it seems that there is a mix of the LP's.Anyway both the UK and US version sound real good, I am pretty sure that my US box is from 1978 because it is number 1818. The UK box may be the same or newer, I will have to sit down and take all the records out and look at the numbers to learn what I can...
          Not sure where the dividing line is between the tube cut and solid state cuts- I know there were a few threads on the Hoffman board about that, but since I was never going to go out and find old copies in top condition, I didn't spend the energy to research it to death. And I guess that's the point--you can get good, old, analog pressings of most of the albums--my set looked like someone might have played a couple of the records and that was it. I think that's often true with these boxed sets- people buy them or get them as gifts, and they never get played. So, good chance you'll get nice copies.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

            Not sure where the dividing line is between the tube cut and solid state cuts- I know there were a few threads on the Hoffman board about that, but since I was never going to go out and find old copies in top condition, I didn't spend the energy to research it to death. And I guess that's the point--you can get good, old, analog pressings of most of the albums--my set looked like someone might have played a couple of the records and that was it. I think that's often true with these boxed sets- people buy them or get them as gifts, and they never get played. So, good chance you'll get nice copies.
            Well I already have both box versions, my US box is open but the albums are still sealed except the three I opened two days ago. They are all perfect in every way, my UK box I am sure was played some but they are in great shape too except one side of Abbey Road.. You are correct I am not about to go looking for any more albums but, I am curious to know how much difference there is between the boxes and a real original first pressing???

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm looking forward to the day that I will have a table with two arms and one with a mono cartridge so I can really here mono LPs as they were intended to be heard. That is how the early Beatles were meant to be heard.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jcmusic View Post

                Well I already have both box versions, my US box is open but the albums are still sealed except the three I opened two days ago. They are all perfect in every way, my UK box I am sure was played some but they are in great shape too except one side of Abbey Road.. You are correct I am not about to go looking for any more albums but, I am curious to know how much difference there is between the boxes and a real original first pressing???
                The theory is, finding early tube cut matrices in later pressings that may show up in one of these boxes will give you the benefit of any early pressing. My experience with other records (not Beatles) is that later pressings with the same deadwax aren't necessarily as vibrant or immediate as the earlier ones- but that may be on a case by case basis. There's also the trade-off of cost and condition, so you can try to tap someone who has originals and see if you can arrange a comparison. Jeff Gold occasionally has original first pressings that he sells at a premium out on the West Coast- he runs recordmecca. I know a few collectors who have some original old UK Beatles copies, but offhand, no one that has all of them. Perhaps a query on Hoffman could help identify somebody near you who could give you the opportunity to listen to what they have. Where are you located JC? Big city?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

                  The theory is, finding early tube cut matrices in later pressings that may show up in one of these boxes will give you the benefit of any early pressing. My experience with other records (not Beatles) is that later pressings with the same deadwax aren't necessarily as vibrant or immediate as the earlier ones- but that may be on a case by case basis. There's also the trade-off of cost and condition, so you can try to tap someone who has originals and see if you can arrange a comparison. Jeff Gold occasionally has original first pressings that he sells at a premium out on the West Coast- he runs recordmecca. I know a few collectors who have some original old UK Beatles copies, but offhand, no one that has all of them. Perhaps a query on Hoffman could help identify somebody near you who could give you the opportunity to listen to what they have. Where are you located JC? Big city?
                  Bill, I am in New Orleans, La.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jcmusic View Post

                    Bill, I am in New Orleans, La.
                    My buddy Max may have some tube cut Beatles- happy to introduce you if you aren't already in contact. He's a NOLA native, good guy, dry sense of humor.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

                      My buddy Max may have some tube cut Beatles- happy to introduce you if you aren't already in contact. He's a NOLA native, good guy, dry sense of humor.
                      Hi Bill, I think Max and I are already friends. Does he sell records on the Hoffman forum? If so yes we are friends.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jcmusic View Post

                        Hi Bill, I think Max and I are already friends. Does he sell records on the Hoffman forum? If so yes we are friends.
                        Yep. You might ask him what he has in the way of older Beatles pressings- I never really talked about the subject with him. We had a great time with Max last year, the Parkway Bakery for oyster po'boys, Commander's Palace, and a few other good food haunts. Love your town. Not sure I could live there, but love it!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

                          Yep. You might ask him what he has in the way of older Beatles pressings- I never really talked about the subject with him. We had a great time with Max last year, the Parkway Bakery for oyster po'boys, Commander's Palace, and a few other good food haunts. Love your town. Not sure I could live there, but love it!
                          Bill, that's what a lot of people say. I guess living here your whole life you just get use to it, LOL!!!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X